Karate Kata's

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite is Sanchin Kata follow closely by Kanshu. Both are from my style, Uechi-ryu. I like Sanchin because it seems like it is simple...yet I find that to do it right (and I am not sure if I ever have) is very difficult and very exhausting. As far as Kanshu, I just enjoy doing it. I feel as though I am still learning each kata that has been presented thus far. So for me it is a matter of progression...not perfection.

- Jeff -

Godoryu Garforth

White Belt
Reaction score
My favourite kata has to be Shodan aswell... Pinan Shodan... I am unfamiliar with the difference between Pinan and Heian

I am studying Bassai atm and love the kata it is incredible... I enjoy Unsu, Nijushiho and Saifa aswell... and I think the kata I think it is spelt Kintori I am unsure is amazing I cannot wait to study it

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SAnchin has always been one of my favorites
I like Heian Shodan, Bassai, and a few others from the "karate" forms, and Outter Tiger from Pai Lum

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Naihanchi Shodan, Matsumora branch Seisan & Okinawan Goju Ryu Seipai. All three give you fits with structure, alignment and maintainence of structure during transition. Plus there is enough bunkai within thos three to keep you busy for some time.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like ananku kata. Lots of great applications can be found there.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a couple others have said, I like the Pinans (SKK *brand* is what I learned, tho now have seen all the major versions thanks to You Tube).

But I have at least as much time training in San Soo Kung Fu, and there are several of its many forms that I'm very partial to, although probably few posters here would be familiar with them. The theme is fighting in all directions without moving much from the point of origin (the empty hand forms leave the ball of either the left or right foot on the same pivot point through the whole form).

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I study Tai Chi Praying Mantis kung fu and my favorite form is Bung Bu (Crushing step). It is fun to perform, it is the founders form, and has great fighting techniques.

When I was studying Shaolin Kenpo my favorite form was Shaolin Crane. This was very drastically altered version of Statue of the Crane. It was short artistic and had good fighting techniques.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've always like and competed with Nijushiho. I also like Aoyagi (the version I learned) as it is such a great combination of both hard and soft movements wrapped up in one :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not familar with these two forms may I inquire as to what systemm they come from

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nijushiho (the version I learned is from Shotokan), and Aoyangi is a Shito ryu kata. But, I am speaking from my own experiences. I am not speaking for the other person.

I am not familar with these two forms may I inquire as to what systemm they come from

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
aoyagi was created by Mabuni. It is also called Seiryu in Ryobukai(shindo jinen ryu) Konishi's style. Konishi adopted the kata. He was a student of Mabuni's, as well as Funakoshi and Motobu.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The kata nijushiho's original name on Okinawa is Niseishi. Niseishi is practiced in Shito ryu, wado ryu, and several other styles, including ryukyu Kempo and ryuei ryu. In each version you can see the obvious similarities. The are only slightly different.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I did Kyokushin I loved Tensho.

Now that I am Enshin I love all 7 katas! They are very interesting and useful.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fond of Tekki Shodan, I also really like Meikyo.

Mark

P.S. Althought to be fair my favorite kata is actualy from American Kenpo, Long Form 4.

Last edited:

Mrluckyman

White Belt
Reaction score
Kurotora, Nipaipo, Anan are some of my favorites.... very complex, bunkai oyo is understandbly complex, beautiful, artistic, easy to see the "chinese connection" henka waza are also excellent...

Kata are still the secrets...... because most instructors know a fixed number and don't want to teach everything they know....

remember: "Sensei teaches you everything you know, NOT everything he knows..."

Latest Discussions