Karate-gi vs TKD-Dobok

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True enough. My purpose in using a do-gi is solely as a practical training garment. It is durable, cheap when you consider how many times you wash and wear one, and it soaks up sweat readily if you use a heavy enough weight of cloth.

If you want to simulate wearing street clothes, you should have a street clothes training session with shoes and all. No gis, no sweats. I imagine some of us will be shocked to find out how difficult high kicks are to pull off when you are wearing a slippery pair of wing tip shoes with a coat and tie.
Actually, I can tell you exactly how hard it is. I practice in both dress clothes and casual clothes outside of class.:)

My daily clothing is actually pretty conducive to taekwondo, with my shoes being the most non-helpful part. Pivots are much harder with actual traction. I have learned to do all of my kicks pretty well in street clothes, but it has taken practice.

I do agree: a street clothes training session is a great idea. Or wear a dobok or gi all the time and deal with the odd looks.:p

Daniel

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... Or wear a dobok or gi all the time and deal with the odd looks.:p

133946__skywalker_l.jpg

:)

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK that is funny. I were V-Neck in class but i like the look and flex of the wrap style. I dont think the V-Necks are more "official" for TKD. There are wrap style tops in korea just like there are in japan

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK that is funny. I were V-Neck in class but i like the look and flex of the wrap style. I dont think the V-Necks are more "official" for TKD. There are wrap style tops in korea just like there are in japan

Keep in mind that a v-neck is mainly a WTF-style thing. Most ITF-style & independent schools wear cross over uniforms.

Latest Discussions