Kara-Ho Kenpo?

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Apology accepted! Now for a brief history of the Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate System. It was developed by the fame Professor William Chow of Hawaii who was the start of many Kenpo/Kempo Karate system on the face of the Earth. He also taught people like Ed Parker, Adriano Emparado and many more, some for an extended leangth of time and a very few for several years. I was with him for a total of about 28 years, and also trained in other arts. I was his most senior student upon his death at 9th dan. I have been in the arts for a little over 54 years and believe I have so much more to learn. I have been on over 35 various magazine covers, worldwide and there has been over 150 feature articles written about our system. I have been enducted into 5 different hall of fames and my 2 instructors recently were enducted into the Master's Hall of Fame with the Patriot's award. One was the assitant to the joint chief of staff in the Pentagon during 9/11 and the plane crashed 100 ' from his office with him inside, and the other is a former sgt/maj of the 1st recons of the USMC and was also the instructor for the recon division. He was in the Gulf War before many of our governement knew he was there. He is now a local police officer and working in SWAT. We had 7 other enducted into this hall of fame including my daughter. This is not bragging but just to tell you that our system's name has been in the public eye for many years, all over the world, so I don't really know how you would not know who and where it came from. Nevertheless, I'm glad we got this all solved and the best lesson in everything that happens is that we learn a good lesson from all this.
Aloha nui loa,
Grandmaster Kuoha

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Prof said:
Good Evening,
If you have read my personal information, you know that I have been in the arts a few years. I have seen the worst of the worse with people inventing names for an art that they put together. Most of these people were low ranking practitioners, some not even at the black belt level. They invented names and fancy titles. They could not get rank the old fashion way, by earning it so they invent a martial art style and are self promoted.
Now ain't that the truth.
So if it makes you feel better just chuck me off as on old martial arts fart who admits that he does not know everything.
Sorry, but I already have that title. Get your own.
Again, no offense was meant and at age 65 I can still rap out 80 - 90 pushups and I will be glad to do them if you wish. Of course you will have to take my word that I have done them. :)
Show off!
May you and your family be Blessed in this New Year.
And the same to you sir.

OP
T

The Prof

Dear Grandmaster Kuoha,

I am extremely delighted that you accepted my apology, although I am still very embarrassed. Honestly, I was foolish for not reading further before I posted.
Sir, your credentials are extremely impressive. However please do not think that I ever doubted your legitimacy. In two more years I will celebrate my 50th year on the arts. It amazes me too think that I am now one of the "Old Ones."

Respectfully, :asian:

The Prof

gmkuoha said:
Apology accepted! Now for a brief history of the Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate System. It was developed by the fame Professor William Chow of Hawaii who was the start of many Kenpo/Kempo Karate system on the face of the Earth. He also taught people like Ed Parker, Adriano Emparado and many more, some for an extended leangth of time and a very few for several years. I was with him for a total of about 28 years, and also trained in other arts. I was his most senior student upon his death at 9th dan. I have been in the arts for a little over 54 years and believe I have so much more to learn. I have been on over 35 various magazine covers, worldwide and there has been over 150 feature articles written about our system. I have been enducted into 5 different hall of fames and my 2 instructors recently were enducted into the Master's Hall of Fame with the Patriot's award. One was the assitant to the joint chief of staff in the Pentagon during 9/11 and the plane crashed 100 ' from his office with him inside, and the other is a former sgt/maj of the 1st recons of the USMC and was also the instructor for the recon division. He was in the Gulf War before many of our governement knew he was there. He is now a local police officer and working in SWAT. We had 7 other enducted into this hall of fame including my daughter. This is not bragging but just to tell you that our system's name has been in the public eye for many years, all over the world, so I don't really know how you would not know who and where it came from. Nevertheless, I'm glad we got this all solved and the best lesson in everything that happens is that we learn a good lesson from all this.
Aloha nui loa,
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
T

The Prof

Thank You very much. For me, after winning first place in the stupidity competition a few kind words go a long way. Incidently, the stupidity trophy is not one I wish to show to anyone. ;-)

The Prof

Doc said:
Now ain't that the truth.

Sorry, but I already have that title. Get your own.

Show off!

And the same to you sir.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Prof said:
Good Evening,

In response to your responses to my post first of all let me say that I am posting this same message to all who responded in an unfriendly manner to my post.

Second, I stand corrected and sincerely apologize. What I wrote was based upon a slang spoken by the Spanish speaking people I lived with in NYC. Period, that’s it. Yes, I should have investigated further and read on further and I didn’t.

If you have read my personal information, you know that I have been in the arts a few years. I have seen the worst of the worse with people inventing names for an art that they put together. Most of these people were low ranking practitioners, some not even at the black belt level. They invented names and fancy titles. They could not get rank the old fashion way, by earning it so they invent a martial art style and are self promoted.

I honestly thought that my reply was to someone inquiring about an art that was bogus. So if it makes you feel better just chuck me off as on old martial arts fart who admits that he does not know everything.

In my limited knowledge of the martial arts, and for those who know me and my people, they will tell you that we really are good people and that I’m not to bad either.

Again, no offense was meant and at age 65 I can still rap out 80 - 90 pushups and I will be glad to do them if you wish. Of course you will have to take my word that I have done them. :)

May you and your family be Blessed in this New Year.

The Prof
It took greatness to reply; your commitment and courage are to be commended. Like I mentioned in my own post, I AM THE KING of putting foot in mouth. My mother used to say I only take one out long enough to put the other in. Too true, too true. My idiotic foibles pepper the landscape.

Great story on judgement...don't remember where its from. Some guy is talking to a couple of angels about the topic of judgement, and they say, "You know nothing of the mind of God, or his will for the evolution of souls, and SHOULD NOT judge. We DO know, and DARE NOT."

Regards,

Dave

OP
T

The Prof

Hi Dave,

I'm too not sure about the "greatness thing" in my case. It's just much better being respectful to everyone. You can't begin to imagne how terrible I felt. Thanks for your comments, I truly apreciate them. You're an alright guy.

I heard that saying too, maybe I'll try to find out where it's from. If I do, you will know too.

Blessings to you sir. :asian:

The Prof

OP
S

Shurikan

Hi Grandmaster,

I just read thru this entire post, currently 20 pages, I thought i would pass this onto my students as there is some good knowledge in here. As your student it is always nice to see info on our system.

Sensei Rod

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the name Kara-Ho, in Japanese it seems to mean "Empty Phoenix" or "China Phoenix" or something similar. Kara = Empty, or China (as in Kara-te) and Ho = Japanese / Himeji name for the Phoenix bird. Given the large Japanese population in Hawaii, could Professor Chow have derived the name from these words?

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Regarding the name Kara-Ho, in Japanese it seems to mean "Empty Phoenix" or "China Phoenix" or something similar. Kara = Empty, or China (as in Kara-te) and Ho = Japanese / Himeji name for the Phoenix bird. Given the large Japanese population in Hawaii, could Professor Chow have derived the name from these words?
Hi Folks!
Dear Danjo,
From different sources I've dealt with Kara is a reference to China [Tang] and HO is chinese for harmony, again, mixed languages...I've away from home and don't have GM Kuoha's tape with the Kanji or i'd translate it.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Prof said:
Good Evening Professor,

Obviously I made a major error in my post. Hopefully you have read my apologies to all who responded.

Yes sir, I believe that I am a legit person. I am one of the few who actually received all of his promotions from Ikyu to my present rank by the same sensei.

A preponderance of my students have been with me for more than a quarter century. If you have checked my web site www.niseido.org I would like to tell you that the Professor in the back, Prof. Frank Barroso has been with me since he was 11 year old. He will be 53 on his next birthday. Our senior dojo in Brooklyn is almost forty years old and has been in continuous operation with the same telephone for all of those years.

I am a former NYC Police Officer and I am also a very well respected and published Police Chaplain. (in my 9th year) In fact I am the Chief of Chaplains for our Department. I am also a Senior Chaplain at a major Medical Center her in South Florida. I was also one of the Chaplains at Ground Zero for a few days. I am the father of seven, the eldest being 46, the youngest is 19 and in college.

From 1991 to 1996 my Niseido Ju Jitsu Demonstration Team was a featured performer at the ISKA US Open Night OF Champions Evening Event. If you should know of anyone who was present at any of these evening events I would think that they would tell you we were easily able to bring more than 2000 spectators to their feet.

We were also one of the ISKA features on ESPN2 which aired for most of 1996. They still show us in re runs from time to time.

Re: my initial post, I was quick in the trigger, I should have read down. I sincerely thought that I was responding to something that obviously was not what I thought. FYI, I did send a personal apology the Grandmaster Kuoha. I hope he accepts it.

Anyway I was touched by your compassion and thought that I would respond, again in the public forum simply because I am not judgmental I refuse to preach judgmental sermons believing that it’s my job to bring them in and it’s "His" job to sort them out.

Many Blessings to you for the New Year.

Respectfully,

The Rev. Dr. Rick Riccardi, Th.D., M.Div.
Hi Folks!
Dear Prof. Riccardi,
It is an honor to see you here in Martialtalk!! I have watched several of your demonstrations via Lee Barden's "black & Blue productions" tournament tapes and your ESPN demos as well!You might know my student, Shaun Seifer, who assisted with the US Open over the years. Also, if you see John Gabriel, former President of FLMA, He will vouch for me and has known me for many years...It's great to see you here!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
PS:people! If you have never seen the Niseido Jujutsu team perform you are missing out! Their demos are available on the "Best of tournament demos" vol 1 & 2 from "Black & Blue Productions",it's worth the money!!

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Hi All,

Professor Chow was Chinese, He was a student of Mitose. There are plenty of thoughts, some of them right and some wrong.

I look at it, as it is the "eye of the storm" all around you have chaos but in the void or eye you have calm. Since the term I believe is of Chinese origin you need to look into the different interpretations of dialects.

The Characters are the Key.
Many ways to interpret void/empty...calm/harmony etc...
Just my thoughts.

Regards, Gary

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi,

Lets do this?

What does this mean?

Kara-Ho

Kara-Zen-Po

Ka-Ju-Ken-Bo

Ka-Ju-Ken-Po

Kara-Te

Ken-Po

Kem-Po

I should hear from the champion 'Monk quest Dude' on this one.

Of course we have at different times in history and countries what means what. And some variations and opinions

Sooo. Any takers? By the way it is somewhat confusing, if you are a true reader of the arts.

When someone adds their name, it becomes clearer...

Regards, Gary
Hi Folks!
Hi Gary[gab] i'll take up your challenge!
Kara-Ho[Chinese-Japanese] "China harmony"

Kara-Zen-Po [Japanese] "china enlightenment way"

Ka-Ju-Ken-Bo [Japanese] Ka[kara]-Empty,Ju-gentle,Ken-fist,bo[boxing]

Ka-Ju-Ken-Po[Ka[kara]-empty{to symbolize Karate},ju-gentle{to symbolize Jujutsu/Judo} Kenpo [fist law]

Kara-Te[Okinawan/Japanese] [originally China {tang dynasty} & te [hand]]changed by okinawan masters in japan at the "insistance" of wartime Japanese

Ken-Po[okinawan]Fist Law

Kem-Po[Japanese]Fist Law

That is a simple translation for you!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Now, you guys are really getting my interest up, lol. Can someone please send me a pm and enlighten me with what Kara-Ho translates to in Spanish. Thanks. Professor Joe
Hi Folks!
Hey Joe!
I thought I told you that the last time I saw you over at Paula's Dojo!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
Hi Folks!
Hi Gary[gab] i'll take up your challenge!
Kara-Ho[Chinese-Japanese] "China harmony"

Kara-Zen-Po [Japanese] "china enlightenment way"

Ka-Ju-Ken-Bo [Japanese] Ka[kara]-Empty,Ju-gentle,Ken-fist,bo[boxing]

Ka-Ju-Ken-Po[Ka[kara]-empty{to symbolize Karate},ju-gentle{to symbolize Jujutsu/Judo} Kenpo [fist law]

Kara-Te[Okinawan/Japanese] [originally China {tang dynasty} & te [hand]]changed by okinawan masters in japan at the "insistance" of wartime Japanese

Ken-Po[okinawan]Fist Law

Kem-Po[Japanese]Fist Law

That is a simple translation for you!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Thanks Kenpo Joe...

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Thanks Kenpo Joe...

Regards, Gary
Hi Joe looks like I am on your trail...

The reason for this post is to ask Grandmaster Kuoha a question..

In the thread about Professor Chow being in the lineage of EPAK or not, it is not a close race 70% of us feel Professor Chow is and should be considered in the lineage. But...I am not an EPAC player, I am an EPAC reader, along with other arts... My principle thing at the moment is FMA. Sticks, Cane and other weapons of destruction...

So I have come over to this thread, since you sir have offered your thoughts and opinions so freely I would be very interested to read what your thoughts are on this subject, and any other statement you might feel is appropriate...

Regards, Gary

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dear Gary:
I am unfamiliar with the organization EPAK so please help me out with that. I would assume that if it was Kenpo/Kempo leaneage or background stemming from the Chinese side, it would have come from Professor Chow. I just have a difficulty with people making claims that their system is a direct descendant from Professor Chow which could be farther from the truth, but if they came through that line or style, then they are speaking of the man that started the whole thing and I would indeed mention his name in their family tree, no matter how different it has evolved or changed. Like I said please inform me about what is EPAK?
Thanks,
Grandmaster Kuoha

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
EPAK= Ed Parker's American Kenpo
Thanks, John and hope to see you sometime. My brother just retired from the SDPD and sold his house down here and purchased one in Murreita. Also one of my black belts was just transferred from The Pentagon as the assistant to the Joint Chief of Staff and is now the commander of the Miramar Marine Base. He is a colonel and now lives in Temecula, but is getting ready to leave with his force to Iraq to fight the war. Stop by sometime when you are in the area.
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
K

Kenpohermit

EPAK= ED PARKER'S AMERICAN KENPO

The question in the other post asked if Professor Chow was in the lineage of American Kenpo, those that said no explained that while Prof. Chow is an important part of American Kenpo's history because he taught and inspired Mr. Parker, American Kenpo's lineage starts with the founder Mr. Parker, the ironic thing is that the very people who feel this is an insult to Prof. Chow for not including him in the lineage of American Kenpo also talk negitively about American Kenpo as a system, so you would think that if they dont like American Kenpo why do they want to connect Prof. Chow to it?

In any case if people dont know what a lineage is in the traditional sense of how it is used in martial arts they might have voted yes thinking it means included in the history. Another Ironic thing is the people who say Chow is the start of the lineage or Mitose still call the system EPAK which means "Ed Parker's" American Kenpo versus just saying Prof. Chow's American Kenpo or Mitose's American Kenpo which of course would be wrong in reality Mitose and Chow both taught different systems not American Kenpo) but that seems to escape these people who are bent on discrediting the founder of our system.

Respectfully
Sami