Kara-Ho Kenpo?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Prof said:
Anyone who speaks Spanish wuld understand the word Kara-Ho. Shameful!
Sir, I suspect the discussion would have been better served, by simply asking what it means. In my department we have a saying, "Assumption is the mother of all fu*kups!"

Reactions: MJS

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Prof said:
Anyone who speaks Spanish wuld understand the word Kara-Ho. Shameful!
Prof.

It is not spanish so why would you bring that up? I observed that statement in an interview with Sijo Emperado also???

Just like the word for the Filipino art "Kabaroan" being a close slur, the "b" to a "v" in spanish.

So what does this mean???

Zip, nada, nothing.

So spit it out, if it is so shameful or swallow it Prof...

Regards, Gary

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen-

PLEASE keep the discussion at a friendly and respectful nature.

Thank you,

Mike

OP
K

Karazenpo

First of all, I planned to answer this morning in defense of The Prof prior to viewing moderator Mike's warning to keep things civil. So, this is my own thing, uninfluenced by anyone and I don't know The Prof at all. Guys, let's slow down a little and take it easy on The Prof. All he did was give his opinion on something on a "discussion friendly" forum. This isn't Nazi Germany. Okay, we've all had our feathers ruffled at one time or another but at least this guy has the sack to post his true identity in his bio, not to mention, where's the respect thing for our seniors? He's was born in 1939 and is probably older than most on this forum, c'ome on now, cut him some slack. If he is legit in his bio then The Prof is also a police chaplain and a hospital chaplain and one can see how his viewpoint or perpective may differ with some of us over a choice of words but it shouldn't make him a target of hostilities and insults. We have had some trolls over here from time to time who would deserve that type of treatment but in this case, imho, it's been misdirected. With Respect to all, this is how I see it, Professor Joe Shuras

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can see your point, but he should have chose his words more carefully like asking me a question, instead of attacking something that Professor Chow has developed over the many years before our time. To call Kara-Ho shameful was uncalled for, so he should have asked question instead of making a statement and that would have been more appropriate.
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
K

Karazenpo

gmkuoha said:
I can see your point, but he should have chose his words more carefully like asking me a question, instead of attacking something that Professor Chow has developed over the many years before our time. To call Kara-Ho shameful was uncalled for, so he should have asked question instead of making a statement and that would have been more appropriate.
Grandmaster Kuoha[/QUOTE

Understood, Grandmaster, I honestly don't feel his intent was on attacking Professor Chow's system, calling Kara-Ho shameful, but the double meaning of the name is what probably hit him. I suppose we won't know for sure unless he responds to the posts. My guess, though, is that it was a simple misunderstanding. Respectfully, Prof. Joe

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
gmkuoha said:
Grandmaster Kuoha
Mr. Kuoha:

The man fancies himself a cunning linguist. The perspective of his post reminds me of that saying to the effect of keeping ones mouth shut and letting people wonder if you're an idiot, rather than opening it and proving it.

It may have been an attempt at inappropriate humor...I know I taste my own sneakers after putting my foot in my own mouth on such things more than I ought to. It may also be that his understanding of Spanish, Japanese and Chinese is about as complete as his understaning of the complete written language of the ancient Sumerians. Which is none.

I would try the "Ignore" feature for the guy...doesn't sound like he's planning on offering anything of quality on this thread, anyway.

Best Regards,

Dave Crouch

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the jest of putting things in prospective. You are probably correct but you would think with someone that has so much validity, such as he says he does, would be more careful in relating these things about something he has no idea about nor who he is making the comments too. I have always been very protective of Professor Chow and even if he's gone, I still have him of high respect so I am out to defend him in any way. I have had numerous responses with his comments from our students all over the world and even some not our students but do know me has e-mailed me about this, and that is why I checked it out for myself. I appreciate your comments especially coming from an outsider.
Again mahalo,
Grandmaster Kuoha

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Allthought it is not on the same level, when I opened my Dojo I named it "The Kai"-to emphasive the coming together, brotherhood of the Arts, imagine my shock when I was accussed of using the name of a charater from a TV show "farscape"! And I too get a little funny when someone talks about my teacher too.

I Think the guy was a little to quick, and trying to be a little too Glib. But I am glad you stand up for GM Chow

OP
K

Karazenpo

Now, you guys are really getting my interest up, lol. Can someone please send me a pm and enlighten me with what Kara-Ho translates to in Spanish. Thanks. Professor Joe

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Now, you guys are really getting my interest up, lol. Can someone please send me a pm and enlighten me with what Kara-Ho translates to in Spanish. Thanks. Professor Joe
Hi,

Lets do this?

What does this mean?

Kara-Ho

Kara-Zen-Po

Ka-Ju-Ken-Bo

Ka-Ju-Ken-Po

Kara-Te

Ken-Po

Kem-Po

I should hear from the champion 'Monk quest Dude' on this one.

Of course we have at different times in history and countries what means what. And some variations and opinions

Sooo. Any takers? By the way it is somewhat confusing, if you are a true reader of the arts.

When someone adds their name, it becomes clearer...

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Allthought it is not on the same level, when I opened my Dojo I named it "The Kai"-to emphasive the coming together, brotherhood of the Arts, imagine my shock when I was accussed of using the name of a charater from a TV show "farscape"! And I too get a little funny when someone talks about my teacher too.

I Think the guy was a little to quick, and trying to be a little too Glib. But I am glad you stand up for GM Chow
Hi Kai,

I would not be shocked at that accusation/response. There is a very good word/s that I feel, fills that void. Ignorant/ignoramus...

I also...regarding Sensei's...Unless you unwittingly got a bad one, then you must do the honorable thing, tell him so, and let it go.

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Prof.

It is not spanish so why would you bring that up? I observed that statement in an interview with Sijo Emperado also???

Just like the word for the Filipino art "Kabaroan" being a close slur, the "b" to a "v" in spanish.

Zip, nada, nothing.

Regards, Gary
Hi all,

I got a red ding for this comment, I agree with the person whoever gave it to me.

Not using the frontal lope on that one. Reptillian and testosterone, bad combination. :idunno: I will go on record, I apologize. Not for my thinking, but for the way I said it...

Regards, Gary

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

In response to your responses to my post first of all let me say that I am posting this same message to all who responded in an unfriendly manner to my post.

Second, I stand corrected and sincerely apologize. What I wrote was based upon a slang spoken by the Spanish speaking people I lived with in NYC. Period, that’s it. Yes, I should have investigated further and read on further and I didn’t.

If you have read my personal information, you know that I have been in the arts a few years. I have seen the worst of the worse with people inventing names for an art that they put together. Most of these people were low ranking practitioners, some not even at the black belt level. They invented names and fancy titles. They could not get rank the old fashion way, by earning it so they invent a martial art style and are self promoted.

I honestly thought that my reply was to someone inquiring about an art that was bogus. So if it makes you feel better just chuck me off as on old martial arts fart who admits that he does not know everything.

In my limited knowledge of the martial arts, and for those who know me and my people, they will tell you that we really are good people and that I’m not to bad either.

Again, no offense was meant and at age 65 I can still rap out 80 - 90 pushups and I will be glad to do them if you wish. Of course you will have to take my word that I have done them. :)

May you and your family be Blessed in this New Year.

The Prof

gmkuoha said:
Yes, I will be doing that soon but we were victims of the Cedar Fire in the year 2003 and the rebuilding process have been very time consuming so I have been literally out of the loop for a long time and none of my instructor's felt that anyone but me should be writing the Thunderflash. My Midwestern schools put out a junior thunderflash that is on the web also.
Thanks,
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

In response to your responses to my post first of all let me say that I am posting this same message to all who responded in an unfriendly manner to my post.

Second, I stand corrected and sincerely apologize. What I wrote was based upon a slang spoken by the Spanish speaking people I lived with in NYC. Period, that’s it. Yes, I should have investigated further and read on further and I didn’t.

If you have read my personal information, you know that I have been in the arts a few years. I have seen the worst of the worse with people inventing names for an art that they put together. Most of these people were low ranking practitioners, some not even at the black belt level. They invented names and fancy titles. They could not get rank the old fashion way, by earning it so they invent a martial art style and are self promoted.

I honestly thought that my reply was to someone inquiring about an art that was bogus. So if it makes you feel better just chuck me off as on old martial arts fart who admits that he does not know everything.

In my limited knowledge of the martial arts, and for those who know me and my people, they will tell you that we really are good people and that I’m not to bad either.

Again, no offense was meant and at age 65 I can still rap out 80 - 90 pushups and I will be glad to do them if you wish. Of course you will have to take my word that I have done them. :)

The Prof

gmkuoha said:
Sorry but maybe you should look at other things before you pass judgement. Kara-Ho is not in Spanish. I understand Spanish and have a strong organization in throughout Mexico but they know it is not a Spanish interpretation, unlike you who thinks you know everything. If you research many meanings in this world, you could find different meanings for the same phrases or words, but yes, if you look for negativity, you will surely find it. We, though, like Professor Chow looked at the positive meanings. Nuff said.

Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

The Prof

Doc said:
Sir, I suspect the discussion would have been better served, by simply asking what it means. In my department we have a saying, "Assumption is the mother of all fu*kups!"

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

The Prof

GAB said:
Prof.

Zip, nada, nothing.

Regards, Gary

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

The Prof

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Mr. Kuoha:

The man fancies himself a cunning linguist. The perspective of his post reminds me of that saying to the effect of keeping ones mouth shut and letting people wonder if you're an idiot, rather than opening it and proving it.

It may have been an attempt at inappropriate humor...I know I taste my own sneakers after putting my foot in my own mouth on such things more than I ought to. It may also be that his understanding of Spanish, Japanese and Chinese is about as complete as his understaning of the complete written language of the ancient Sumerians. Which is none.

I would try the "Ignore" feature for the guy...doesn't sound like he's planning on offering anything of quality on this thread, anyway.

Best Regards,

Dave Crouch

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening,

The Prof

The Kai said:

OP
T

The Prof

Good Evening Professor,

Obviously I made a major error in my post. Hopefully you have read my apologies to all who responded.

Yes sir, I believe that I am a legit person. I am one of the few who actually received all of his promotions from Ikyu to my present rank by the same sensei.

A preponderance of my students have been with me for more than a quarter century. If you have checked my web site www.niseido.org I would like to tell you that the Professor in the back, Prof. Frank Barroso has been with me since he was 11 year old. He will be 53 on his next birthday. Our senior dojo in Brooklyn is almost forty years old and has been in continuous operation with the same telephone for all of those years.

I am a former NYC Police Officer and I am also a very well respected and published Police Chaplain. (in my 9th year) In fact I am the Chief of Chaplains for our Department. I am also a Senior Chaplain at a major Medical Center her in South Florida. I was also one of the Chaplains at Ground Zero for a few days. I am the father of seven, the eldest being 46, the youngest is 19 and in college.

From 1991 to 1996 my Niseido Ju Jitsu Demonstration Team was a featured performer at the ISKA US Open Night OF Champions Evening Event. If you should know of anyone who was present at any of these evening events I would think that they would tell you we were easily able to bring more than 2000 spectators to their feet.

We were also one of the ISKA features on ESPN2 which aired for most of 1996. They still show us in re runs from time to time.

Re: my initial post, I was quick in the trigger, I should have read down. I sincerely thought that I was responding to something that obviously was not what I thought. FYI, I did send a personal apology the Grandmaster Kuoha. I hope he accepts it.

Anyway I was touched by your compassion and thought that I would respond, again in the public forum simply because I am not judgmental I refuse to preach judgmental sermons believing that it’s my job to bring them in and it’s "His" job to sort them out.

Many Blessings to you for the New Year.

Respectfully,

The Rev. Dr. Rick Riccardi, Th.D., M.Div.

Karazenpo said:
First of all, I planned to answer this morning in defense of The Prof prior to viewing moderator Mike's warning to keep things civil. So, this is my own thing, uninfluenced by anyone and I don't know The Prof at all. Guys, let's slow down a little and take it easy on The Prof. All he did was give his opinion on something on a "discussion friendly" forum. This isn't Nazi Germany. Okay, we've all had our feathers ruffled at one time or another but at least this guy has the sack to post his true identity in his bio, not to mention, where's the respect thing for our seniors? He's was born in 1939 and is probably older than most on this forum, c'ome on now, cut him some slack. If he is legit in his bio then The Prof is also a police chaplain and a hospital chaplain and one can see how his viewpoint or perpective may differ with some of us over a choice of words but it shouldn't make him a target of hostilities and insults. We have had some trolls over here from time to time who would deserve that type of treatment but in this case, imho, it's been misdirected. With Respect to all, this is how I see it, Professor Joe Shuras

Latest Discussions