Judo vs Jujitsu

ljdevo

White Belt
Reaction score
Apparently, years and years ago when the Japanese military/police were deciding which Martial style would be best to teach their recruits, they were torn between Judo and Jujitsu. So they gathered a bunch of Judo fighters, and a bunch of Jujitsu fighters and had a fight off. Apparently the Judo fighters won the overall competition by a huge advantage, stating in the goverments eyes that Judo was a more effective art the Jujitsu.

Do you think this is true? Or do you think that it just depended on the fighters at the compotition, and the conditions on the day, etc? Taking into consideration that all the participating fighters were supposed to the the cream of their styles.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year! I think all our brains are probably at the moment probably thinking about things like how to get rid of the in laws and the hangover to really really wanting to start another argument over judo and jujitsu so soon.
I think the police probably were given guns instead of trying to decide between the two styles.
:ultracool

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All I will say is I use to train Jujitsu and I liked it and I have seen Judo and I like it, even considered training it more than once.

Look into Kano Jigoro and you might get more insight into an answer to your question

And I like this quote from Kano Jigoro

Before and after practicing Judo or engaging in a match, opponents bow to each other. Bowing is an expression of gratitude and respect. In effect, you are thanking your opponent for giving you the opportunity to improve your technique. ---Kano Jigoro

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do the police in Japan carry sidearms? Maybe it's too many movies, but I thought they didn't routinely carry guns.

Anyhoo, I've read some really interesting accounts of this fateful day in 1886. I couldn't put my fingers on the one I was looking for, but it's in the articles area of Judoinfo.com. That website has everything.

Here's one I ran across this morning looking for the other one that's a pretty good read. The author has something of a flair for telling a story. http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue3/judo.html

My impression is that it's a part of a larger cycle. Jujutsu was mired in tradition and flourish. Kano cherrypicked the most effective techniques, focused on those with emphasis on practicality and then began teaching a streamlined, leaner system. It's not a statement of how effective the techniques were/are, more a testament to training philosophy. That's my lay interpretation, at least.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the police in Japan carry sidearms? Maybe it's too many movies, but I thought they didn't routinely carry guns.

Anyhoo, I've read some really interesting accounts of this fateful day in 1886. I couldn't put my fingers on the one I was looking for, but it's in the articles area of Judoinfo.com. That website has everything.

Here's one I ran across this morning looking for the other one that's a pretty good read. The author has something of a flair for telling a story. http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue3/judo.html

My impression is that it's a part of a larger cycle. Jujutsu was mired in tradition and flourish. Kano cherrypicked the most effective techniques, focused on those with emphasis on practicality and then began teaching a streamlined, leaner system. It's not a statement of how effective the techniques were/are, more a testament to training philosophy. That's my lay interpretation, at least.

I have no idea whether they carry guns or not but I may just take a gun to myself if we have to have another judo v juijitsu thread or anything v anything for that matter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have no idea whether they carry guns or not but I may just take a gun to myself if we have to have another judo v juijitsu thread or anything v anything for that matter.
Okay. Good point! :) But read that article I linked to. It's a good story!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To answer the question depends on the fighter.

I don't know what ryu-ha of Jujutsu went up against the Kodokan but

The Kodokan had quite some famous masters of the different Jujutsu schools share some techniques.

The Police in Japan do carry guns as well as a Jo.

As far as I am aware of the unarm tactics used by the police was Taihojutsu but I think they train in Judo.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year! I think all our brains are probably at the moment probably thinking about things like how to get rid of the in laws and the hangover to really really wanting to start another argument over judo and jujitsu so soon.
I think the police probably were given guns instead of trying to decide between the two styles.
:ultracool

Excellent, I definitely like you thinking, but do they also carry knives?? :asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent, I definitely like you thinking, but do they also carry knives?? :asian:

They could be like me and reserve the right to make cutting remarks lol!

We could have a discussion on what types of martial arts if any various police forces use around the world? I'd rather not have another X style v Y style argument though!
steve, agreed an interesting article!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any one style of MA universally endorsed by the police here in the States. I know many cops train BJJ and MMA here, but there are also police who train in other styles.

One of the assistants at my school is a brown belt in BJJ and Seattle PD. He teaches the beginner's MMA class as well as some of the BJJ classes. It's interesting how a cop will approach the same subject in a very different way than our main coach, who is primarily a BJJ guy. The difference in mindset is huge.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They could be like me and reserve the right to make cutting remarks lol!

We could have a discussion on what types of martial arts if any various police forces use around the world? I'd rather not have another X style v Y style argument though!
steve, agreed an interesting article!
:) Glad you read it. I got a kick out of the guy's storytelling. He really tried to bring that day to life, in my opinion.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Th advantage of Judo is also its weakness: As a sport, some useful techniques are outlawed, but those that are legal are practiced constantly against a resisting opponent so that the practitioner learns to really make them work!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great question,

I will try and answer as informatively as I can. First of all Judo is the little brother of Japanese Jiujitsu. Hapkido and JJ are quite similiar. You cannot make hapkido a competition. It is a killing art, period end of story.

On the flip, hard core kodokan judo is just that. My father, a sixth dan in hapkido said it best. "Back when I began a 2nd dan in Judo was someone to be scared of."

Competition and the Olympics followed by the "Dumbing down" of what is acceptable for technique followed by lack of hard core training gives Judo a bit of a sore eye.

Consider this: "Judo had a reigning stint of popularity that Tae Kwon Do is now receiving. Judo had this popularity for over 100 years." Honestly, I have had a lot of students come to class and quit because it was hard so to speak.

In all fairness when getting into a fight it all comes down to one thing, that is conviction. If you don't have strong convictions and aren't committed to winning in combat you will lose before you begin.

Another piece is that in combat it doesn't matter the style. No, indeed it all comes down to who knows their art better. Goes along with the first point for reinforcement. I learned in the Marine Corps from being in combat several times the following: "In competition there are rules. In a fight there is no such thing as fair and no one cares "What style you are doing." It only matters if you live through the conflict.

Apparently, years and years ago when the Japanese military/police were deciding which Martial style would be best to teach their recruits, they were torn between Judo and Jujitsu. So they gathered a bunch of Judo fighters, and a bunch of Jujitsu fighters and had a fight off. Apparently the Judo fighters won the overall competition by a huge advantage, stating in the goverments eyes that Judo was a more effective art the Jujitsu.

Do you think this is true? Or do you think that it just depended on the fighters at the compotition, and the conditions on the day, etc? Taking into consideration that all the participating fighters were supposed to the the cream of their styles.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Th advantage of Judo is also its weakness: As a sport, some useful techniques are outlawed, but those that are legal are practiced constantly against a resisting opponent so that the practitioner learns to really make them work!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great question,

I will try and answer as informatively as I can. First of all Judo is the little brother of Japanese Jiujitsu. Hapkido and JJ are quite similiar. You cannot make hapkido a competition. It is a killing art, period end of story.

On the flip, hard core kodokan judo is just that. My father, a sixth dan in hapkido said it best. "Back when I began a 2nd dan in Judo was someone to be scared of."

Competition and the Olympics followed by the "Dumbing down" of what is acceptable for technique followed by lack of hard core training gives Judo a bit of a sore eye.

Consider this: "Judo had a reigning stint of popularity that Tae Kwon Do is now receiving. Judo had this popularity for over 100 years." Honestly, I have had a lot of students come to class and quit because it was hard so to speak.

In all fairness when getting into a fight it all comes down to one thing, that is conviction. If you don't have strong convictions and aren't committed to winning in combat you will lose before you begin.

Another piece is that in combat it doesn't matter the style. No, indeed it all comes down to who knows their art better. Goes along with the first point for reinforcement. I learned in the Marine Corps from being in combat several times the following: "In competition there are rules. In a fight there is no such thing as fair and no one cares "What style you are doing." It only matters if you live through the conflict.

That's about when my instructor was a Judo Dan, he comes up with some very vicious things he says are from 'old' Judo!

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i always wanted to take jujitsu but for some reason never got a chance to do it i ran into a judoka and he invited me down to his dojo i ended up doing judo for a year and half three nights a week and also did randori 3 nights a week i loved every second of it ' the work out was the best - the teachers sister was a yoga instructor and sometimes after class we would do some yoga for relaxation if i get a chance im a start it up again :BSmeter:

fightingpower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Woo Hoo i agree. I am a Judoka and am about to embark upon a Jujitsu journey I will let you all know what I think. I am hoping that Jujitsu will give me some dissarmament techniques that Judo does not have to offer!

Judo AND jujitsu, There is no one who studies the one that cannot benefit from the other.

Latest Discussions