Judo Vs BJJ

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he appeared to be in pain or not, if he didn't respond to the ref then the ref made the right call.

OP
L

Littledragon

Aegis said:
Doesn't matter if he appeared to be in pain or not, if he didn't respond to the ref then the ref made the right call.
That wasn't the factor. Have you seen the fight?

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nope. What I've heard are the opinions of a lot of people who have, many of whom I respect. They agree that while Gracie wasn't out (shown by him standing almost as soon as the call was made) he didn't respond to the referee or move in any way to show that he was still in the fight. As such the ref made a call based on what he could see, which was a strangle being applied to a non-moving opponent. As a ref I'd have made the exact same call for the safety of the combatants.

OP
L

Littledragon

Aegis said:
Nope. What I've heard are the opinions of a lot of people who have, many of whom I respect. They agree that while Gracie wasn't out (shown by him standing almost as soon as the call was made) he didn't respond to the referee or move in any way to show that he was still in the fight. As such the ref made a call based on what he could see, which was a strangle being applied to a non-moving opponent. As a ref I'd have made the exact same call for the safety of the combatants.
Techniqcally he lost because the ref is in charge of making the decision but as a real fight between two champion martial artist he did not LOOSE.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

tmanifold said:
On the 50th anniversery of the epic battle between Helio Gracie and Kimura, Royce gracie fought Olympic Gold medal Judo player Yoshida. And lost.

Yes as with the first fight BJJ lost to Judo. Yoshida choked out Royce in their match at Pride. Royce says he didn't tap (and judging from when he lost to Wallid Ishmal I might believe him) but he was submitted. The match was fought under modified rles which did not allow striking to the face or any striking on the ground.

Man royce is have some problems theses days,

Tony
I saw this video, and watched it three times very carefully. Royce went limp as a dishrag, he was out of it. You can't tap out when you're put out! So the referee made the correct call. Royce lost to judo.

Latest Discussions