Judo Vs BJJ

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJJ gave a real good base. Now I'm practicing Trad. Jujitsu and adding a new flavor to my ground game.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I'm a Croation and Spanish and my kids are Spanish, Croation, Mexican and Native American Indian (either Cheyenne or Cherokee, the family isn't sure but they were from Texas). Muts also.

So you know Dave then, right?

Cool:D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a Croation and Spanish and my kids are Spanish, Croation, Mexican and Native American Indian (either Cheyenne or Cherokee, the family isn't sure but they were from Texas). Muts also.

So you know Dave then, right?

Actually my kids are also part Yaqui Indian from one of their grandmothers.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ace,

If you are training Trad. JJ and BJJ you are on the rightious path. They both have what the other can use.

I've got a few years BJJ and I'm now learning George Kirbys Budoshin Ju Jitsu and George Alexanders Shorinji Ryu Jujitsu.

It adds a whole new lite to things.
I've also Practice Modern Arnis, Judo , JKD/Mauy Thai/Kali
Boxing/Kickboxing

Submisson Wrestling , Wrestling & Bondo

Submisson is my Ace in the Hole But i like to
keep my head fresh & not try to close opean doors.

I Have Met & trained With Some
Out stand Martial Artist/Wrestlers.
Everyone i train with has Helped Me progress
And i all ways Try to give something back.

For Me Fighting/Martial Arts is a Never ending Circle.
Jdenz is just 1 of Many Great People i have met in my
search for Knowledge.

OP
J

JDenz

See you at practice tomorrow Primo it is going to be a tough one lol hope you bring a clen pair of clothes to go home in it is going to be hot.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
See you at practice tomorrow Primo it is going to be a tough one lol hope you bring a clen pair of clothes to go home in it is going to be hot.

See u at wrestling:D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
I've also Practice Modern Arnis, Judo , JKD/Mauy Thai/Kali
Boxing/Kickboxing

Submisson Wrestling , Wrestling & Bondo

Submisson is my Ace in the Hole But i like to
keep my head fresh & not try to close opean doors.

I Have Met & trained With Some
Out stand Martial Artist/Wrestlers.
Everyone i train with has Helped Me progress
And i all ways Try to give something back.

For Me Fighting/Martial Arts is a Never ending Circle.
Jdenz is just 1 of Many Great People i have met in my
search for Knowledge.

The way you train is a must. Everybody my age thinks old school but today you have to be well rounded. I have many arts in my backround but my fighting skills that I rely on are JKD, BJJ and I'm adding Trad. JJ and I'm learning footwork from other styles as well.

I have several teachers and even though they are old school, they have a lot to offer. I will not disrespect them in any way and one by one they are accepting what I do as martial art and backing me up.

One day I would like to meet up with some of you guys. I will not have a problem emptying my cup!

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The way you train is a must. Everybody my age thinks old school but today you have to be well rounded. I have many arts in my backround but my fighting skills that I rely on are JKD, BJJ and I'm adding Trad. JJ and I'm learning footwork from other styles as well.

I have several teachers and even though they are old school, they have a lot to offer. I will not disrespect them in any way and one by one they are accepting what I do as martial art and backing me up.

One day I would like to meet up with some of you guys. I will not have a problem emptying my cup!
We are at Horizon Martial Arts
675-0899 Everyone is Welcome to come:D

Mixing Arts is the Way to go
Good Luck in Your training

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
We are at Horizon Martial Arts
675-0899 Everyone is Welcome to come:D

Mixing Arts is the Way to go
Good Luck in Your training

I just printed it out, thanx. My oldest daughter lives in Rhode Island and we've been planning on going out there and we are going to NY too. Its good to know that I will be able to train and meet knew friends!:cool:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I honestly can't see the logic of how you determine how one art is better than another because of watching fights. Again, there is no such thing as a better art really. Instead of focusing on how in this fight, judo did this while BJJ did this, just enjoy the match. It's a lot more fun that way. After that, you can study the tapes if you want but at least watch the match at least once. And systems never battle, participants battle, and leave it at that.

OP
L

Littledragon

tmanifold said:
On the 50th anniversery of the epic battle between Helio Gracie and Kimura, Royce gracie fought Olympic Gold medal Judo player Yoshida. And lost.

Yes as with the first fight BJJ lost to Judo. Yoshida choked out Royce in their match at Pride. Royce says he didn't tap (and judging from when he lost to Wallid Ishmal I might believe him) but he was submitted. The match was fought under modified rles which did not allow striking to the face or any striking on the ground.

Man royce is have some problems theses days,

Tony
If a boxer beat a martial artist would you say boxing was better than martial arts??

"Yoshida attempted an Ezequiel choke as a way to advance in his position. The attack NEVER set in as Royce adjusted himself well. With the attempted choke well defended and not threatening to improve Royce decided to stay put and see what Yoshida would attempt next. At that point the referee inexplicably stopped the match."

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By the sounds of it he failed to respond to the referee trying to find out if he was able to continue. That's enough reason to halt a match, so tough luck really.

OP
L

Littledragon

Aegis said:
By the sounds of it he failed to respond to the referee trying to find out if he was able to continue. That's enough reason to halt a match, so tough luck really.
If you really watch the match it is clear that he is in no pain and the ref should have never stopped it.

Tarek ;)

Latest Discussions