Joining Krav

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just recently attended an induction class (4 hours of basic striking, power generation and chaining/bursting exercises) and had a ball. Coming from a TMA background I was a bit iffy as to how I'd find the shift in formality etc but found that I got wrapped up in the techs too much to sit there and nit pick the differences and the cocky-ness (not meant to be negative) was quite refreshing coming from a fairly serious Dojo environment. In fact having the TMA background helped a HUGE amount as it was very easy to grasp the concepts of power generation and moving through your opponent etc. The 4 hours flew by and didn't feel like much, but then I did nothing physical the next day and the lactic acid killed me lol. At least I know I must have done something right!

Anyway, starting training next Wednesday (they are closed today as it's a public holiday down here) and can't wait to get into it and this time see what's the same as what I'm used to, what's different and actually start learning! Not sure if I'm going to go through the grading process as it doesn't hold a whole lot of meaning for me anymore. I'd much rather just be confident that I know the material than have a Unit ranking after x amount of time in grade - the school uses Units rather than Belts and it's optional for students with no pressure to grade. Everyone learns everything, just the higher levels ramp up the intensity and power a bit more. Wish me luck guys! :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck! Hope you enjoy the class :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem with Krav Maga here seems to be the expense, we don't have many places to train it here but there's a lot of courses which seem to cost an arm and leg.

On a different note, I saw on the news that the floods are heading to Melbourne? will you all be alright?

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Carol!

Tez, yeah the cost varies a fair bit depending on the school here. The one I went to was pretty good actually. It's a membership system which is $49 a fortnight but that includes upto 4 classes at no extra cost. Best part? Not a home made robe or rope sandal in sight ;)

Umm in terms of the floods, I don't think it's going to be Melbourne itself, it's still large regional areas. I could be wrong but I haven't heard any sort of warnings so we should be ok :) Don't worry, we'll be sure to stay safe and healthy so you can come train with a real ninjutsu school on your trip down under lol

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem with Krav Maga here seems to be the expense, we don't have many places to train it here but there's a lot of courses which seem to cost an arm and leg.

On a different note, I saw on the news that the floods are heading to Melbourne? will you all be alright?
I'm sure it will get cheaper as more people get certified to teach. Send a friend and have them show you what they learned... for some tea.
Sean

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
So... tried my first actual class today. I'm dying, sooo sore! lol

Completely not what I'm used to in terms of a workout coming from a TMA background where the goal is to use a minimum of effort.

Only one class so still can't make any real judgements but already a few things are coming through.

Pros: It's going to be brilliant for my fitness, my awareness is going to improve greatly especially since the penalty for letting your awareness drop is to push ups :p, very very similar things to what we've already train in the modern self defence portion of Ninjutsu so easy to grasp concepts, lots and lots of pressure testing and drilling under adrenaline so will get me used to controlling my emotions/adrenaline/fight or flight response etc, good mix of skill levels and ages in class and everyone is very encouraging

Cons: Only one so far. They seem to hold back with their hits even with full padding on. At least for the first couple of grades/units. After that the intensity is meant to ramp up. Right now though it's taking a concious effort to not hit "through" the target especially given they are fully padded up. Oh and their focus or objective is a little hard to get my head around. While we (in Ninjutsu) train for survival and doing what is needed, they train for combat and a lot of the strikes presented as options would be a sure fire way to get arrested over here.