Jackie Chan's style

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of style(s) Jackie Chan has studied? I know he's mostly an acrobatic movie star, but he must have started out with one particular style. Anybody know?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe the Peking Opera school that he trained in when he was young taught many aspects of martial arts, but it may not have been any particular style in its complete form.

Later, I know he studied Hapkido and Bok Mei. I also think that as he prepared for movies, he trained in the relevant styles that he would portray. How much dept he received, and whether or not these became a regular part of his practice is something I do not know. He sure made them look good on screen, tho.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think he does Wing Chun. I'm only saying that from something I saw. There is (or was, not shure) a cartoon on Cartoon Network for a while about him. At the end of the show he does a little micro-interview. In one he was working on a wooden dummie, doing technigues I'm pretty shure are taught mostly in Wing Chun. But what ever. I do know he trained at the Pei-king opera theature.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Mook Jong is not exclusive to Wing Chun. For those interested I would advise reading his biography.

He explains it all very well.

7sm

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"I believe the Peking Opera school "

This is where the bulk of his training came from. There was no particular style taught. It involves a lot of acrobatics and what is generally called "movie kung fu", not really martial arts - just things that look cool on the screen.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
This is where the bulk of his training came from. There was no particular style taught. It involves a lot of acrobatics and what is generally called "movie kung fu", not really martial arts - just things that look cool on the screen.

That's what I understood of his original training.

I am reminded of Wing Chun and the Red Junk Operas!

OP
Jagermeister

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cool. That's pretty much what I was wanting to know.

By the way, I think his "movie kung fu" is great, whether he learned it at the opera, the dojo, or wherever. The guy's a maniac with those stunts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
"I believe the Peking Opera school "

I think he was a bit of a scrapper when he was younger, so this stuff may have been better than just "movie kung fu"

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"I think he was a bit of a scrapper when he was younger, so this stuff may have been better than just "movie kung fu""

I am going by his words.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Does anyone know what kind of style(s) Jackie Chan has studied? I know he's mostly an acrobatic movie star, but he must have started out with one particular style. Anybody know?
he went to the chinese opera school
but he learned fighting before that with his father before travelled somewhere, i think australia!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
"I think he was a bit of a scrapper when he was younger, so this stuff may have been better than just "movie kung fu""

I am going by his words.

I read an interview with him a few years ago, and he was discussing some of the other martial artists that he has worked with on screen. Benny Urquidez' name came up, where Jackie had worked with him on a movie, but I can't remember the name. Anyway, Jackie commented that Benny was really tough, and Jackie wasn't sure who would win if the two of them fought for real. I guess he was putting himself on that kind of level with Benny.

He also relayed a story about when he was younger, and he got in a fight with a group of people. After he punched someone in the face, they turned an ran. Once they stopped running, he looked at his hand, and discovered that the guy's tooth was stuck in his knuckle.

Don't know if this reflects on his training at the Peking Opera School, or something else, but there it is.

Latest Discussions