Jackie Chan's Martial Art Style

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am aware that this is an old post but at the same time, I feel like must reply to the ignorance that is in this thread. I have done nothing but martial arts my entire life and studied martial arts and people of martial arts background. Yes, Jackie Chan did learn the martial arts during theater training, "which was a kung fu style" but besides that, he learned many styles of kung fu including Wan Chun and was a master of Hapkido which both he took very seriously. To say that he is just doing movie Jitsu or whatever you call it is plain ignorant! Yes some of the stuff he does on the silver screen is not used in basic combat but the point of the matter is, it's all based off of a martial arts style which in fact is very very hard to replicate unless you know the martial arts in which it comes from. He is an icon of the martial arts world and there's not one person on this forum who could touch him in a competition even at his age now nor is there another actor of his caliber of martial arts. He is not just a movie star he is also an accomplished martial artist and people need to respect him for that. He also still does all his own stunts. I am a sixth degree black belt in TWD, second degree black belt in hapkido and have advanced far in Krav maga "which I teach at well as TKD" and I'm now studying different forms of Kung fu and I would never try to go rounds with Jackie. Just saying. I am a state and national champ too. Give him more credit then you are going him. He deserves it.

You can cite your sources for saying this? It's understandable that people admire him but to make statements as you have about his skill you really need to prove it I'm afraid. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
You can cite your sources for saying this? It's understandable that people admire him but to make statements as you have about his skill you really need to prove it I'm afraid. Just saying it doesn't make it so.
On the contrary it does. I based my facts on research. All you have to do is type in his name to get this information. I have followed him since I was a child but if a link is what you require, here are a few.

How Jackie Chan Went From Martial Arts to Hollywood Stardom

Jackie Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

google - Google Search

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am aware that this is an old post but at the same time, I feel like must reply to the ignorance that is in this thread. I have done nothing but martial arts my entire life and studied martial arts and people of martial arts background. Yes, Jackie Chan did learn the martial arts during theater training, "which was a kung fu style" but besides that, he learned many styles of kung fu including Wan Chun and was a master of Hapkido which both he took very seriously. To say that he is just doing movie Jitsu or whatever you call it is plain ignorant! Yes some of the stuff he does on the silver screen is not used in basic combat but the point of the matter is, it's all based off of a martial arts style which in fact is very very hard to replicate unless you know the martial arts in which it comes from. He is an icon of the martial arts world and there's not one person on this forum who could touch him in a competition even at his age now nor is there another actor of his caliber of martial arts. He is not just a movie star he is also an accomplished martial artist and people need to respect him for that. He also still does all his own stunts. I am a sixth degree black belt in TWD, second degree black belt in hapkido and have advanced far in Krav maga "which I teach at well as TKD" and I'm now studying different forms of Kung fu and I would never try to go rounds with Jackie. Just saying. I am a state and national champ too. Give him more credit then you are going him. He deserves it.

Did you even bother to click the link in post #19 and read the early life section before you called us ignorant ;)

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
I must also point out that seeing is believing. As a martial artist myself, I see his skills, even in films. You can't fake what he can do. Also, watch the you tube videos of him training. Enough said. He is a real martial artist and the proof is there. People can deny it until they are black and blue in the face.

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
Ignorant just means unknowing, I am in no way trying to be insulting, I'm just trying to educate and my comment is not addressed to all because there are correct details in some people's replies. My reply was for those who were ignorant of his abilities.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Dude, read the section in the link, here, I'll make it easy

Jackie Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are making an argument for nothing on a long gone post

I have been in Martial art for most of my life as well, over 40 years actually, I know he is a martial artist and I know his training background, it is not a big secret

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, making statements without proof is just making statements. I'm afraid here we are a bit scholarly and like proof. It may sound a bit niggardly but really it makes for better understanding if you do provide proof. Calling people ignorant etc is also not a way to win friends and influence anyone. I think Jackie Chan is great however the fact you do martial arts doesn't really have a lot of bearing on Jackie Chan's merits as a martial artist. Film martial arts is very different from 'real martial arts'. yes those on screen have really good skills but that doesn't make them martial artists, dancers for example are very good at showing of martial arts on screen where the look of a technique is far more important than power and correct use.
coming in and arguing with a bunch of people you don't know makes for a bad first impression. There's people here who know Jackie Chan's history very well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Chan has trained MA outside of opera MA, to what extent I can't tell you, but he has trained it

As I said, people here know his history. Watching and judging though from films is never a good idea.

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng, I provided that exact same link when tez 3 asked me to provide proof with my statement. In fact I provided three links of proof and tez 3 still came back with that comment about needing proof once again. You asked for proof and I posted links. It was unnecessary though as the proof is watching him and you should be able to see that yourself. It's so funny when people take offense to the word ignorant as if one had called them stupid. Ignorance is not knowing and that's all. I was throwing out some education to def ears as this is an old post. My hopes were that people in the future who come to this thread looking for an answer will get the correct one. Instead it seems as you are trolling for an argument.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It has been my experience that those that are so ready to throw out the label of troll need to check themselves first. Also I supplied the link 9 years before you posted it and started on your tirade. Which showed you did not read it, so I asked you if you had, you again did not respond in anyway that showed that you did.

I have no desire to argue with you or anyone, but for the record

ignorant is defined as lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated

Ignorance is defined as lack of knowledge or information.

There is a bit of a difference in the usage of the 2

You have a nice day

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
I was agreeing with you. I was speaking of tez 3 who immediately stated I provided no proof and that my statement was meaningless. Even after I provided proof. I in no way meant you as I agreed with everything you had to say. This is the problem with social media. So many things get lost in translation. I do have to state however that looking at my own statements I in no way presented myself as trolling. I wanted to educate people. I was immediately within seconds of posting it told to provide proof and once I did, "which was unnecessary" I was told I didn't. It felt like trolling to me. Especially when speaking of something as much common knowledge as Jackie Chan having actual martial arts experience. I do feel that Iif you reread through my prior statement again you will see i was agreeing with you and nothing has said "including speaking of ignorance" was ever directed at you. It was only directed at the uneducated on this matter.

master Jay dubb

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. Now on another note, how do I remove this "white belt" stamp under my name? Must I become a full member?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Now on another note, how do I remove this "white belt" stamp under my name? Must I become a full member?
The "rank" under your name is just a function of the forum software. The more posts you make, the higher your forum "rank" will go. It has nothing to do with your actual martial arts rank.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackie Chan is a fine martial artist. Anyone who says he isn't is just trying to feel important.
Well I for one won't disagree, however if someone posts their opinion up stating it is fact they will be asked for proof, if they just say that it's their opinion that's fine. Putting words in people's mouths is never a good idea either and coming on with a bombastic attitude is going to meet a fair bit of rebuffing. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a martial artist myself, I see his skills, even in films.
I don't know anything about Jackie Chan's training other than what is in the public record, but I can comment on this.

There are certain skills and attributes of a martial artist that you can observe in a choreographed movie scene. Form, agility, speed, balance, body control - all the things that have to do with the mastery of your own body. With regards to those elements, Mr. Chan is undoubtedly a top-notch martial artist.

There are other skills and attributes of a martial artist that you can not judge from a choreographed scene. Timing, distancing, sensitivity, tactical awareness, deceptiveness, fighting spirit, etc - all the things that have to do with the relationship between yourself and your opponent(s). With regard to those elements, I have no idea of Mr. Chan's abilities. I can't find much information in the public record to speak one way or another on the subject. Without first hand observation of Mr. Chan fighting or sparring or participating in some other form of "live" training, I wouldn't presume to judge his fighting ability.

Latest Discussions