Its wing chun worth learning

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it is, maybe there is something better but if you want to do then do that

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you, one last question would you say there are any martial arts that would complement wing chung?

Chun.

For me, yes. WC is what I tend to fall into at trapping range(standing grappling range) WC doesn't have much in the way of a long range game or ground game, so things such as boxing,kickboxing, wrestling and BJJ round WC out nicely.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Over the last few months I was debating whether to study WC. During this time I tried different schools, MA styles (TWC/Moy Yat/Muay Thai) and instructional variations (Class vs Private).

I have more experience in boxing than WC and would say that boxing is a faster way to pick up self defense. If you're looking for a comprehensive self defense system I'd recommend I'd consider Krav Maga. I am fortunate in that I have a very top notch Krav Maga school near me. Something I may consider down the line. However, as others have said WC can be rewarding and a very effective art for self defense but you have to find good WC. If you can find a good private instructor, this will speed up the rate at which you acquire all the WC attributes.

I've started taking private lessons with a really good Sifu that comes from the Moy Yat lineage. He has over 30 years experience in martial arts and can teach WC, Hock Hochheim's system including SFC Pacific Archipelago Combatives.

My Sifu is a big fan of multiple arts and styles. He is not one dimensional in thinking or his martial arts background. He likes Mike Tyson as much as he likes Yip Man LOL. He also knows Sifu Tony Watts.

Latest Discussions