Can I learn wing chun in my living room?

bogdy23

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the opportunity to learn wing chun at a really great price. I can have an instructor with over 20 years of experience come to my home and teach me. He says that he can teach Wing Chun to me in my living room.

My living room is about 15-20 square meters roughly 180 -200 square feet. Can you do it in that space learn how to punch, kick, keep your body in the right posture do the sticky hands technique or whatever technique in which you work with your Sifu with your hands? I

`ve heard people learning this stuff just from the internet. But this is a great opportunity for me to work 4 hours a day on my wing chun with a teacher at a great price.

So can you do it the whole 1500 hours that are needed to learn Wing Chun (without weapons)
Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you guys what you think

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If a live teacher is coming to you, it can be done. However the whole "1500" hours thing makes me a little skeptical. I don't know how you put a time on learning any system, even without weapons.

What is the teachers background, how did he learn it, who from and where, is important

bluepanther

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If the teacher knows the art and can teach it well and you are a good learner then it should be possible. The whole 1500 hours is probably subjective as I have seen very skilled martial artists with only a few years training and some that just showed up for a decade to class and leave a lot to be desired.

OP
B

bogdy23

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, great thanks. The teacher is also teaching at a local military base. He learned Wing Chun in the communist ERA but every Wing Chun master from my country has studied at one point with him. Is he the best teacher in the country NO. But as far as Wing Chun he might be with an accuracy of 99% the best in Wing Chun in my country.

So you also think that the 170-200 square feet is enough to learn it? There still is furniture but if you remove the table you do have some space so that 2 people can sit do squats and something like that.

bluepanther

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do not practice Wing Chun myself so maybe some experienced players can chime in, but watching the 3 forms it seems like you literally need only a 6'x6' area?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try it once with an instructor, see if you have enough space. If not, train elsewhere.

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun can certainly begin in a small space. You don’t move until the second form. Even when moving, it’s similar to yang Luchans saying “all you need is a 6x6’ space”, because wing chun is about adaptation and freedom. It will take months to learn your first form and years to do it properly, so if you have the chance to learn at a great price, give it a shot! If you like it keep going, and if you run out of space when you get to chum kiu you can find somewhere to go by then I bet

PS regarding what Xue said, he’s right . That is a dubious claim, 1500 hours? That is arbitrary so try it out first

Latest Discussions