Itchin' for a fight?

OP
astrobiologist

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Pieces of paper don't mean squat and if you have money or property, the tort system will jack for the slightest of infringements.

That's why I always recommend that people compete in sanctioned events. Join a combat sport and duke it out on their terms, it simply is the safest. You can't even trust your "friends" now days.

That said, Astro, if you are seriously itching for a fight, line up an amateur fight and practice some kata bunkai that you think would be effective within whatever rule set in which you decide to conform. It would be cool to see how you fare.

If I were going to get back into that scene, that's what I would do...and it's what I envision when I feel the itch.

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet. I think maybe part of it is that we don't have many high ranking students at my school since our school is still pretty young, so it's hard to find people who want to throw down.

I fought a full-contact kickboxing fight some time back and really enjoyed it. It showed me how much point fighting growing up had made me too focused on tapping my opponent rather than getting solid strikes in. Needless to say I no longer point fight.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, no. Never felt the itch like that.

I really like grapling and I had the itch for that. In ninpo it takes a couple of years before you get to spar. So I'll have to wait for some time until I get to enjoy the energy of a groundfight again.

Anyway... About the fight club idea...
Don't. It's always funny until someone gets hurt (and then it's just hilarious) but if you are the organizer, then you will get sued when one of the participants suffers a career ending injury.

Even if you are all friends, that doesn't mean squat when the other guy is crippled and has the medical bills pouring in.

If you want to do it anyway, try to get the entire group to decide to come together for such an event instead of becoming the organizer. That would take some of the responsibility off your shoulders.
Still, if you are the one injuring someone really bad, you are hosed either way if no insurance is in place.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
To the OP.

I understand completely. At the risk of coming across like a sociopath, I actively enjoy fighting. I love the sheer physicality of it, I like contesting my ability against another fighter. I am oddly comfortable with violence, partly due to my profession and partly due to general disposition. I am a nice guy, but I love to mix it up. When I was younger I would happily get into fights, but thankfully those scrapes are a thing of the past for me. I have gotten significantly smarter and more responsible as I have aged.

Nowadays I confine that sort of thing to the ring whilst geared up. I do get antsy if I have'nt boxed or sparred hard for a couple of weeks. I need the pressure release. I just feel better after a good throwdown and my training partners and I go out and grab a beer or two when the dust settles. Good times all around.

Mark

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the fight club idea, but it takes certain people to keep it going... and not sue. Some times, you just don't have those people available to train/fight.

So the inevitable progression is to find a full-contact fight and... well, fight.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hahahahaha, you've never been sued, have you? Didn't think so.

Let one guy get hurt - his wife or mom or whatever gets their panties in a twist. Next thing you know, lawyers are involved. And disclaimers? Don't mean squat. They find out who has the deepest pockets - usually the venue, because they have insurance - and then it's off to the races.

My cuz was Brooklyn DA for a bunch a years and now he teaches. I usually mention his name and other lawyers go crawling back to their caves. So no, I've never been sued.

But you have a point, if you have a fight club make sure it's not filled with litigious bitches.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you have a point, if you have a fight club make sure it's not filled with litigious bitches.

And that's my point. Not possible. Oh, they might be fine themselves, but how about spouses, etc? Somebody gets hurt and misses work, and there will be lawyers involved. It just happens.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying man but considering it's their own fight club they can have as little or as much protection and as little or as many rules as they wish. Hooking up with some guys from a boxing club can even get you into a good, safe facility. If you only invite participants and money is not exchanged at the door or anywhere else then it's completely legal and the law would see it as a bunch of students training with each other.

Remember, no audience, no money changing hands at the door, for refreshments or bets and it's held in a gym/dojo after business hours then it's cool.
Are you a lawyer, licensed to practice in all 50 states?

It's dangerous to state things like "this is legal" unless you really know what you're talking about. And you haven't even thought about the issues with civil liability... There's a reason for all those disclaimers and the paperwork you sign at tournaments or clinics. (Which others have rightly advised aren't really too effective... except to show that people were advised and agreed to play by the rules.) And, if it's done at the gym or dojo or training hall, with or without the direct permission -- the OWNER can be liable.

If you're going to get together with buddies and spar -- have a solid plan. Make sure everyone REALLY is on the same page, and has an out that will save face. Be careful where you choose to do this, and who you invite. And have a plan in place for dealing HONESTLY with injuries. And I'm sure there are other factors to consider that I haven't thought of.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did I say "don't have a solid plan?" Or "don't be on the same page." Or even "invite any and everybody." Or "have it in an unsafe place." Don't put words in my mouth or take him for less than intelligent in doing his due diligence if her were to go through with it. Of course he's gonna invite people who he knows, have it in a safe place and everyone will be on the same page. we are spit balling ideas for him to get his fighting jonze on, I presented an option, I'm sure he'll iron out the details if he goes through with it.

And no, I'm not a lawyer, I'm a journalist. My cousin's the lawyer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I say "don't have a solid plan?" Or "don't be on the same page." Or even "invite any and everybody." Or "have it in an unsafe place." Don't put words in my mouth or take him for less than intelligent in doing his due diligence if her were to go through with it. Of course he's gonna invite people who he knows, have it in a safe place and everyone will be on the same page. we are spit balling ideas for him to get his fighting jonze on, I presented an option, I'm sure he'll iron out the details if he goes through with it.

And no, I'm not a lawyer, I'm a journalist. My cousin's the lawyer.
Ask your cousin about manslaughter...

See if maybe it could fit an accidental death arising from a voluntarily entered, unsanctioned and uncontrolled mutual combat.

I suspect I know what he'll tell you... And that you might not want to put things to the test unless you have five to twenty years you don't have plans for.

And that's not even considering the civil problems.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is what I suggest:
http://www.dogbrothers.com/multimedia/2008_natgeo/natgeo_fightclub.html
or

I used to get that feeling all the time(to fight out on the street). Then I got married and grew up. Been shot at and shot back. It is fine to think you want to be in a "life or death situation," but you will pee your pants if you are ever in one. I have found that hard fighting in the school is good enough for me now. I try to keep it as close as I can to a street fight with a margin of safety. Dead or disabled students don't pay the bills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pick on anyone who put forth the idea of starting a psuedo-fight club or put forth an option of having an "animal day" in the dojo, but I have to make I point that I think the idea is bad. After running a dojo for eight years and trying several times to find insurance after various companies kept changing the rules for sparring, I'm fairly certain the insurance on the building, the company, or the owner will somehow be lacking.

I have no idea how the MMA studios do it. My guess is that they pay through the nose and that's one of the reasons it's so expensive or that they they are running bareback. My teacher took a terrible risk when he only had us sign some paper. He is a property owner who basically has everything paid off and everything in order. One serious injury and could all be gone.

I don't know what else to say. Bill Mattocks is right, as soon as a guy can't work, all bets are off in regards to previous verbal agreements. That's why the sanctioned combat sports are a good bet. Even MMA is a good bet if you can find a studio that is legit.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From time to time, I kind of start getting a little itch for a fight. It's a weird sensation. It's like I want to spar full on with a resistant opponent just to work through my reactions and technique in a much more 'real' environment. The thing is though, I'm a pretty nice guy (I'm not intimidating or anything), I'm not pushy or rude, and I know from my training that starting a fight against an unknown combatant is a serious taboo.

I'm thinking about seeing if some local martial artists want to go for a full tilt sparring match or six. That way I can be somewhat safe while still getting into a more combative situation.

Anyone else ever get the "itch"? How do you handle it?

The "itch", yes I used to get it...that is until I was attacked several times and had to defend myself in a "real" enviroment to save my life. I hope I never have to go through that EVER again. After that "the itch" never came back.

Trust me a "real" enviromental test is the last thing you ever want to have happen. You'll find out things you did not know about yourself and what you can become if need be. Very humbling and scary.

IGNORE IT!!!! It will lead to problems, it's just ego rearing it's ugly head. IGNORE IT.

It suprises me that as a San Dan and an Instructor you would entertain such folly. You're heading down a dangerous path, better get back on track before you regret it.

Just my opinion.

Michael

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pick on anyone who put forth the idea of starting a psuedo-fight club or put forth an option of having an "animal day" in the dojo, but I have to make I point that I think the idea is bad. After running a dojo for eight years and trying several times to find insurance after various companies kept changing the rules for sparring, I'm fairly certain the insurance on the building, the company, or the owner will somehow be lacking.

I have no idea how the MMA studios do it. My guess is that they pay through the nose and that's one of the reasons it's so expensive or that they they are running bareback. My teacher took a terrible risk when he only had us sign some paper. He is a property owner who basically has everything paid off and everything in order. One serious injury and could all be gone.

I don't know what else to say. Bill Mattocks is right, as soon as a guy can't work, all bets are off in regards to previous verbal agreements. That's why the sanctioned combat sports are a good bet. Even MMA is a good bet if you can find a studio that is legit.

Listen to maunakumu

From time to time, I kind of start getting a little itch for a fight. It's a weird sensation. It's like I want to spar full on with a resistant opponent just to work through my reactions and technique in a much more 'real' environment. The thing is though, I'm a pretty nice guy (I'm not intimidating or anything), I'm not pushy or rude, and I know from my training that starting a fight against an unknown combatant is a serious taboo.

I'm thinking about seeing if some local martial artists want to go for a full tilt sparring match or six. That way I can be somewhat safe while still getting into a more combative situation.

Anyone else ever get the "itch"? How do you handle it?

Find a Sanshou, Muay Thai or MMA school and likely you will get all the fighting you want and then some... after you train with them for a bit, although it is likely the training will be painful. :boxing:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read a very insightful post today from someone mentioning that he had tested his skills in real life, and that he came out ok. But he compared it to having made it to the other side of a rickety bridge over a deep chasm. He said he'd avice people not to cross the bridge because it was dangerous, and that it would be better if they crossed a different way.
If someone knows which post I am talking about, please post the link because I have yet to thank it and I can't find it anymore.

Anyway, it was imo the most insightful remark of the discussion, and it applies here as well.

If you make it, then you will have valuable experience that many don't have. Musashi did the same thing. He proved his skills by scratching his itch and dying of old age, undefeated with dozens of kills. We are still talking about it, hundreds of years later, and his strategic insight is still valuable today.

But many of his opponents were scratching their itch too, and paid the price.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is what I suggest:
http://www.dogbrothers.com/multimedia/2008_natgeo/natgeo_fightclub.html
or

I used to get that feeling all the time(to fight out on the street). Then I got married and grew up. Been shot at and shot back. It is fine to think you want to be in a "life or death situation," but you will pee your pants if you are ever in one. I have found that hard fighting in the school is good enough for me now. I try to keep it as close as I can to a street fight with a margin of safety. Dead or disabled students don't pay the bills.

True, but in this day and age it is difficult to know for a fact whether or not one is a coward at heart. The only way to know with absolute certainty is to be in a situation like that, until then all we can do is guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I gotta second the idea of finding a good MMA or Boxing gym. The folks there will give you all the fight that you want in a safe and controlled enviornment.As much as I love to throw down, I love the idea of not going to jail even more.

Plus, you will surely pick up a few things that will improve your skills.

Mark

Latest Discussions