Another "testing"

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was at a bar the other night. This one guy started getting loud and a little out of control. I was wearing a t-shirt with our school's logo "Red Lion Karate" on the front. The loud guy saw it and of course started prodding at me. I conversed with him a little, maintaining a prepared state in case he decided to try something. We talked about MMA and martial arts a little.

He asked about my rank, so I told him. He then started saying things like "well I know you can kick my..." and "you must think you're pretty tough", as we all know these are obvious signs of a possible agressor. I maintained my humility and said that even the most prepared martial artists can get punched in the face. He decided to test me, fortunately it was not in the most violent way. He tried to fake me with a backfist switched to an elbow strike to the face. I caught both, trapped his arm, jacked him against the wall, and stuck my thumb in the side of his throat softly. Normally, I would just have deflected the strike(s) and maintained the advantageous position, but I could feel that the guy turned passive as soon as his strikes missed. The bar tender had seen what happened and kind of laughed a little. The bouncer's didn't seem to care. The guy was "my best friend" after the testing. He bought me few shots and stayed out of my way until I left.

I feel okay with what happened. Could have been worse. The guy may have really continued his attack beyond just a test.

Some may think that even responding to him in the first place was the test. I don't think so. I am hesitant to approach a situation I can avoid, but at the same time I like meeting new people and I will not be deterred from enjoying life due to fear.

Anyone else get "tested" from time to time by people who are ignorant to how the martial arts truly work? How do you respond?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1st, good job on both emitting a proper response to the situation an being able to protect yourself without causeing serious injury.

I've been tested, but not since high school. There have been a few aquantances who's behavior borderlined on bully behavior. They'ed kick at me or jump on my back and I'd jam their leg or throw them off. I found it irritating that they'd try o test me but then satisfying when I knocked them on thier butts.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I myself wouldn't have worn a shirt from my dojo as an advertisement. It's like being in a grocery store and seeing someone in there full gi with there BB on there waist. I just gotta laugh. I don't believe in tipping my hand and letting anyone know what I know or don't know till there is a need for it.

I myself if wearing the shirt probably would have said that a friend gave it to me from his dojo. I don't really need that kind of headache when I'm out of someone wanting to challenge me. There are challengers out there, and some are pretty good. Don't have the time for that kind of BS.

Just my two cents.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Remember the Dao Te Ching on this one, "Be like a fish underwater. Never show your power to anyone."

That situation was escalated by your reaction. The other guy decided to end it. Yeah it could have been worse, but it wasn't. Just a little friendly advice as I have seen almost the exact situation turn into a bar fight.

Oh yeah, wearing the karate shirt out drinking is a good way to have to your karate tested. LOL!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
well handled, i'd say. depending on what kind of bar you were in, i'm assuming it would have been broken up quickly had it gotten out of hand. i've got various MA shirts that i wear but they've never gotten me anything but some polite inquiries, which is part of the point of a dojo shirt.

Some may think that even responding to him in the first place was the test. I don't think so. I am hesitant to approach a situation I can avoid, but at the same time I like meeting new people and I will not be deterred from enjoying life due to fear.
right on.

jf

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hahahaha. What a jerk. I'm glad you handled it so well. I try to wear my school shirt as often as possible just to spark interest and maybe get some new students. I forgot about those kinds of reactions though.

OP
astrobiologist

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess I really hadn't considered how the shirt would definitely make me a target. That's the beauty of MartialTalk, we get to hear a lot of views on an issue which can aid us in our own determinancy.

I'm not sure if I'll wear the dojo shirt to a bar again. It probably is better to avoid another situation, especially if I'm planning on drinking.

The thing is though that this could happen just about anywhere, not just in a bar. I've had these "testings" from time to time in my life when others had discovered my martial arts background. With MMA getting so popular these days it seems to happen now more than ever. When they just talk crap, I really don't care. But when they actually try to physically test me, I don't mind putting 'em down.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I really hadn't considered how the shirt would definitely make me a target. That's the beauty of MartialTalk, we get to hear a lot of views on an issue which can aid us in our own determinancy.

I'm not sure if I'll wear the dojo shirt to a bar again. It probably is better to avoid another situation, especially if I'm planning on drinking.

The thing is though that this could happen just about anywhere, not just in a bar. I've had these "testings" from time to time in my life when others had discovered my martial arts background. With MMA getting so popular these days it seems to happen now more than ever. When they just talk crap, I really don't care. But when they actually try to physically test me, I don't mind putting 'em down.

The MMA scene is very strong in Hawaii and they have a strong fight culture to boot. Something about the native blood, you can't hardly go to a beach without some sort of testosteroni breaking out.

Throw a little alcohol in the mix and the pot comes to a boil quickly!

OP
astrobiologist

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The MMA scene is very strong in Hawaii and they have a strong fight culture to boot. Something about the native blood, you can't hardly go to a beach without some sort of testosteroni breaking out.

Throw a little alcohol in the mix and the pot comes to a boil quickly!

Ya, I've heard that. I surf (or try to at least) and there's this big buzz in the surf communities in the states that Hawaii locals hate out-of-towners to the point where some crazy fights have erupted just because someone unknown was riding a Hawaiin wave. Kind of scary...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ya, I've heard that. I surf (or try to at least) and there's this big buzz in the surf communities in the states that Hawaii locals hate out-of-towners to the point where some crazy fights have erupted just because someone unknown was riding a Hawaiin wave. Kind of scary...

I surf too. This is true, btw. You can get your *** beat for riding the wrong wave out here. You can get your *** beat surfing for any number of things. Paddle to the line-up wrong = *** beating. Drop in down shoulder on a guy = *** beating. Accidently stuff someone in a tube = *** beating.

You have to be on your toes. Most people are just fine, but all it takes is a few aggressive surfers to start ****...that's when I usually find somewhere a little more friendly.

And then there is Da Hui and some of the other Surf Gangs. The surf world is crazy sometimes.

Anyway, the jujutsu dojo I am trying out tonight has a list of techniques that are meant to be practiced in the water. These are specifically designed to work in an aqueous self defense situation. That will be interesting if I get to learn it.

Surfing (and drinking) is all about attitude. If you aren't looking for a fight, aren't tough guy advertising, and are determined not to fight, its pretty hard to get into a fight. Possible, but not likely. I'll take my chances on the safe side.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I myself wouldn't have worn a shirt from my dojo as an advertisement. It's like being in a grocery store and seeing someone in there full gi with there BB on there waist. I just gotta laugh. I don't believe in tipping my hand and letting anyone know what I know or don't know till there is a need for it.

I myself if wearing the shirt probably would have said that a friend gave it to me from his dojo. I don't really need that kind of headache when I'm out of someone wanting to challenge me. There are challengers out there, and some are pretty good. Don't have the time for that kind of BS.

Just my two cents.

I gotta agree with this post!! For this reason, I'm fortunate and happy to say that I havent been in the same situation as the OP. I have however, had to deal with people that I know, who know that I train. I tend to change the subject when the MAs come up.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the one hand, the other fella may have seen the shirt as a provocation, but for cryin' out loud, it's just a school shirt from what I gather. If the OP was wearing a shirt that said, "I'm the meanest frigger in here, and I can kick all yer all butts," that would be something else.

I think you did well, sir. Didn't get down to his level.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I'm the meanest frigger in here, and I can kick all yer all butts," [/qoute]

Hey Gordon, how did you know that was the shirt I wear? Haha

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I would not have worn a "Red Lion Karate" shirt. All you really did was let others know you have some skill. There are those that don't care. Those that would strike up an conversation cause they are in a martial art. And there are those that would test you (or blind side you) just to show you up in front of their friends.

That is why I don't wear any martial art shirt, nor IDPA or NRA or even a bumper sticker with anything like that. My car, and myself, are non-descript.

That way anything I do will be a suprise.

Deaf

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I avoid wearing anything that gives my skillset away, especially when I go out with my wife. DS makes one more point, on the IDPA/IPSC gear. I have a Glock sweatshirt I wear when I workout(my gym is VERY gun friendly) and it stays home when I am out and armed.

Nothing says that you are carrying like a gun manufacturers shirt.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was at a bar the other night. This one guy started getting loud and a little out of control. I was wearing a t-shirt with our school's logo "Red Lion Karate" on the front.

1st mistake

The loud guy saw it and of course started prodding at me. I conversed with him a little, maintaining a prepared state in case he decided to try something. We talked about MMA and martial arts a little.

2nd mistake

He asked about my rank, so I told him.

3rd mistake

He then started saying things like "well I know you can kick my..." and "you must think you're pretty tough", as we all know these are obvious signs of a possible agressor. I maintained my humility and said that even the most prepared martial artists can get punched in the face. He decided to test me, fortunately it was not in the most violent way. He tried to fake me with a backfist switched to an elbow strike to the face. I caught both, trapped his arm, jacked him against the wall, and stuck my thumb in the side of his throat softly. Normally, I would just have deflected the strike(s) and maintained the advantageous position, but I could feel that the guy turned passive as soon as his strikes missed. The bar tender had seen what happened and kind of laughed a little. The bouncer's didn't seem to care. The guy was "my best friend" after the testing. He bought me few shots and stayed out of my way until I left.

I feel okay with what happened. Could have been worse. The guy may have really continued his attack beyond just a test.

Anyone else get "tested" from time to time by people who are ignorant to how the martial arts truly work? How do you respond?

You got the hat trick. You got yourself into a situation that you could have avoided in the first place.

Yes, I wore my clubs t-shirt once and it was like a magnet. I got a few prospects who were genuinely interested in taking classes but, I also got "stupids" who just wanted to talk crap. The response I gave the "stupids" was "No, no I don't know Ju-Jitsu, it's my kids club and I'm trying to help enrollment." Ego's intact and satisfied they went away.

Wearing a MA T-shirt is like ringing the test me bell for every idiot with an ax or ego to grind. You were lucky he did not escalate the situation and have it turn into something bad, I'm not saying you couldn't have beat him (from your desription you probably could) however, if it did escalate and you injured him some witnesses might say you were looking for a fight wearing that shirt (even though you weren't). Stranger things have happened.

Better not to advertise. The possible losses out-weight the possible gains.

Michael

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally don't feel the need to lie to people if they seem like "tough guys" just itching for a fight. I like my martial arts shirts and virtually my entire casual attire is made entirely of MA related t-shirts.

If someone asked me if I thought I was pretty tough I'd say something along the lines of, "Nah, I'm just a beginner." Hopefully they'll leave me alone, if not then I'll have to deal with it.

Aikicomp said, "Wearing a MA T-shirt is like ringing the test me bell for every idiot with an ax or ego to grind. You were lucky he did not escalate the situation and have it turn into something bad, I'm not saying you couldn't have beat him (from your desription you probably could) however, if it did escalate and you injured him some witnesses might say you were looking for a fight wearing that shirt (even though you weren't). Stranger things have happened.

Better not to advertise. The possible losses out-weight the possible gains
."

My approach is that I like MA and want others to get invloved with them. I've had people come up to me and inquire about what I do and then enroll, so I've had more positive experiences than negative concerning this.
Also, saying someone was asking for a fight by wearing a martial arts shirt is kind of akin to saying a woman was asking to be sexually assaulted by wearing a provacative outfit isn't it?
Even if if a shirt provokes a man to fight then he was likely looking for a fight to begin with and I'd rather have someone come after me than a person who is less capable of defending themselves.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I personally don't feel the need to lie to people if they seem like "tough guys" just itching for a fight. I like my martial arts shirts and virtually my entire casual attire is made entirely of MA related t-shirts.

If someone asked me if I thought I was pretty tough I'd say something along the lines of, "Nah, I'm just a beginner." Hopefully they'll leave me alone, if not then I'll have to deal with it.

Aikicomp said, "Wearing a MA T-shirt is like ringing the test me bell for every idiot with an ax or ego to grind. You were lucky he did not escalate the situation and have it turn into something bad, I'm not saying you couldn't have beat him (from your desription you probably could) however, if it did escalate and you injured him some witnesses might say you were looking for a fight wearing that shirt (even though you weren't). Stranger things have happened.

Better not to advertise. The possible losses out-weight the possible gains."

My approach is that I like MA and want others to get invloved with them. I've had people come up to me and inquire about what I do and then enroll, so I've had more positive experiences than negative concerning this.
Also, saying someone was asking for a fight by wearing a martial arts shirt is kind of akin to saying a woman was asking to be sexually assaulted by wearing a provacative outfit isn't it?
Even if if a shirt provokes a man to fight then he was likely looking for a fight to begin with and I'd rather have someone come after me than a person who is less capable of defending themselves.

HK, I did not say I thought it was asking for a fight. I said that some witnesses (if it came to that) may assume that they were looking for a fight.

Michael

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wearing MA t-shirt attracts nutcases.
Despite the fact that this is stupid and in no way your fault, it is reality.

By the same token, a woman walking around in a bikini swimsuit, alone, in the middle of the night in a bad neighborhood has a high likelihood of being raped.
This is stupid, unfair, and in no way the fault of the woman, but reality just the same.

Things like this can be avoided, and this is part of self defense as much as fighting skills. I think that this is what aikicomp was referring to.
Self defense is a total concept that goes beyond fighting skills.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Astro, congrats on getting through the situation without a worse outcome. :)

Personally I have several school or system T-shirts, as well as a couple of gear bags. I respect the notion of not wanting to hint at one's secrets although for me there was at least one time when I was able to use the advertising to get myself out of a tense situation when I was on travel.

I wouldn't wear one to a bar myself, and I'm careful about wearing them on my midnight commute home (I prefer to do so when they are easily covered up by a sweatshirt or jacket). Overall though, I've had some very rewarding conversations about martial arts when I was out shopping, at the chiropractor, or even at work.

I played music professionally for two years and semi-professionally for several years after when I was in my 20s. Because of that, I've been in a lot of bars, clubs, and restaurants. Unfortunately I've seen more than a few people flip out when they have been drinking (sometimes that lead to an physical fight, sometimes not) and at least to my eyes...its happened for reasons sillier than two dudes hanging out talking about fights and fighting.

There may not be a right or wrong answer regarding wearing school T-shirts and the like...I think its really up to the individual.

Latest Discussions