Isshin Ryu

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I am considering training with an Isshin Ryu club near were I live. It is a husband and wife business. From a student in the class, I have learned that within the first 8 months of training, a student reaches their 4th belt; they get promoted very quickly. There are no exam days. When a student is "ready" for a promotion, time is set aside during class for a small test. The 4th belt test which for them is blue consists of answering questions and doing one kata. By the third belt they are considered intermediate level students.

I took shotokan and the time between each belt was much longer. Are promotions quick with Isshin Ryu? I am considering joining this club.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am considering training with an Isshin Ryu club near were I live. It is a husband and wife business. From a student in the class, I have learned that within the first 8 months of training, a student reaches their 4th belt; they get promoted very quickly. There are no exam days. When a student is "ready" for a promotion, time is set aside during class for a small test. The 4th belt test which for them is blue consists of answering questions and doing one kata. By the third belt they are considered intermediate level students.

I took shotokan and the time between each belt was much longer. Are promotions quick with Isshin Ryu? I am considering joining this club.
Hmm 4 belts in 8 months that sounds a bit to quick to me if I'm honest I don't know anything about the style and maybe the club is good but to me that is far to fast and if the third belt is intermediate that means they're saying you can be an intermediate belt in less than a year which honestly you can't be

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
When I called them, they just told me that I would pay $130 a month. When you go to try out a class for free, that is when they tell you about signing a contract for six months or a year.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I called them, they just told me that I would pay $130 a month. When you go to try out a class for free, that is when they tell you about signing a contract for six months or a year.
How many sessions are there a week because if there's only 2 a week 130 a month is way to much

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
There are three classes a week. However, one day is only a review of everything they learned that week.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are three classes a week. However, one day is only a review of everything they learned that week.
Hmm seems a bit much to me tbh and contracts are a thing to really look at because if you decide it's not for you and quit you've still got to pay the full amount

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a little suspicious that she didn't tell me about the contracts over the phone. I found out from one of their students.

In my former Shotokan club, we were tested every three months. We spent a longer time on a belt color.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of this depends on your personal goals Venice. What are they?

Personally, I wouldn't go to a dojo like that, but we're not after the same thing.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have learned that within the first 8 months of training, a student reaches their 4th belt; they get promoted very quickly. There are no exam days. When a student is "ready" for a promotion, time is set aside during class for a small test. The 4th belt test which for them is blue consists of answering questions and doing one kata. By the third belt they are considered intermediate level students.
I would suggest you find out about this stuff from one of the instructors just in case the student does not know what he/she is talking about

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
All of what I wrote is true. I know when he started training. And I have seen his belts as he got promoted.

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
When he received his third belt (orange), the date and time of his class changed because he was moved to an "intermediate" class.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly seeng all this does sound a bit like a McDojo to me very quick tests, very high prices and contracts and for your 4th belt all you do is 1 kata and answer questions that's a lot of warning signs but well best bet is to go and see what you think you may love the place even despite and plenty do there's nothing wrong with it if you have fun there and make friends and enjoy yourself and learn stuff even if its not amazing stuff then hey it's your choice and if you enjoy it fair enough

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I would not like to attend a McDojo. I am training for self-defense, better coordination, among other things. I would prefer Shotokan, but the club has split up and the instructors are into other types of martial arts. One of the instructors only works with kids. Anyway I am serious about having good training not social stuff, fun.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would not like to attend a McDojo. I am training for self-defense, better coordination, among other things. I would prefer Shotokan, but the club has split up and the instructors are into other types of martial arts. One of the instructors only works with kids. Anyway I am serious about having good training not social stuff, fun.
Well you'll have to just go down and see what it's like because that's the only way to find if its good or not

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok I just checked the school out and spoke to the two teachers. I had already spoken to one of them on the phone.

They do correct the students. That is good. But, Everything else that I have mentioned is still true. Students move to an intermediate class when they receive their third belt. They move to an intermediate class about 6 to 7 months after they started training. I also got to talk to other students.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here...

Is $130 really that high? In the Albany, NY area, $120/month seems to be the norm for full-time dojos. Contracts are also the norm. The dojo I attended is a little less than half the norm and has no contracts, but that's not really why I joined.

Then there's the first 4 belts at 2 month intervals thing. If students are learning what they need to learn for those ranks, what's the difference if they're 2 month intervals or not?

How do they define "intermediate student?" Is it the step after beginner? Maybe an intermediate student is a student that's learned and shown proficiency in basic blocks, strikes, stances, etc. I'd say 8 months is long enough for that. I'm not saying students regularly show mastery of the basics in 8 months, but they should show proficiency in them in that time frame.

If we're focused on time frame, real question is how long to black belt. And how proficient are their black belt candidates. From what I've heard of Isshin Ryu, they don't learn kata until about 8 months or so into the syllabus. I'm pretty sure once a student reaches this point, the promotions are far longer in between and the material is far more complex. I think they focus on the very basics the first 8 months or so before really getting into what separates them from the others. I also believe black belt is the standard 4-6 years of consistent training time frame.

I don't personally know anyone in Isshin Ryu. I've conversed with practitioners online and have come across some of their stuff. Way back when, I competed against some local Isshin Ryu students. By all accounts it seems like a very good style of karate. I haven't seen much "sport karate" out of them; they're a traditional Okinawan style that may have a few students compete every now and then to break up the monotony of training. I'm quite sure their emphasis isn't kata for show nor point fighting.

I'm pretty sure @Bill Mattocks is an Isshin Ryu student. He's probably going to have some better insight than what I've said.

Even if Isshin Ryu is a great system, that doesn't guarantee that every single dojo is great either.

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here...

Is $130 really that high? In the Albany, NY area, $120/month seems to be the norm for full-time dojos. Contracts are also the norm. The dojo I attended is a little less than half the norm and has no contracts, but that's not really why I joined.

Then there's the first 4 belts at 2 month intervals thing. If students are learning what they need to learn for those ranks, what's the difference if they're 2 month intervals or not?

How do they define "intermediate student?" Is it the step after beginner? Maybe an intermediate student is a student that's learned and shown proficiency in basic blocks, strikes, stances, etc. I'd say 8 months is long enough for that. I'm not saying students regularly show mastery of the basics in 8 months, but they should show proficiency in them in that time frame.

If we're focused on time frame, real question is how long to black belt. And how proficient are their black belt candidates. From what I've heard of Isshin Ryu, they don't learn kata until about 8 months or so into the syllabus. I'm pretty sure once a student reaches this point, the promotions are far longer in between and the material is far more complex. I think they focus on the very basics the first 8 months or so before really getting into what separates them from the others. I also believe black belt is the standard 4-6 years of consistent training time frame.

I don't personally know anyone in Isshin Ryu. I've conversed with practitioners online and have come across some of their stuff. Way back when, I competed against some local Isshin Ryu students. By all accounts it seems like a very good style of karate. I haven't seen much "sport karate" out of them; they're a traditional Okinawan style that may have a few students compete every now and then to break up the monotony of training. I'm quite sure their emphasis isn't kata for show nor point fighting.

I'm pretty sure @Bill Mattocks is an Isshin Ryu student. He's probably going to have some better insight than what I've said.

Even if Isshin Ryu is a great system, that doesn't guarantee that every single dojo is great either.

That is also what the instructors said about kata in Isshin Ryu: Kata comes much later. After training in Shotokan, I remember that kata began very early on as a white belt beginner. For them Kata is considered to be at the intermediate phase of training.

Some of the students at the Isshin Ryu dojo have received black belts in as little time as 3 years. This made me feel a little uncomfortable.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is also what the instructors said about kata in Isshin Ryu: Kata comes much later. After training in Shotokan, I remember that kata began very early on as a white belt beginner. For them Kata is considered to be at the intermediate phase of training.

Some of the students at the Isshin Ryu dojo have received black belts in as little time as 3 years. This made me feel a little uncomfortable.

What if they had previous experience? You have previous karate (Shotokan) experience. I'd assume you'd advance quicker than someone with zero experience. Or perhaps they were very good athletes and/or students.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. I'm just giving you things to consider. I don't know the school, nor do I have any bias towards where you study. I always give the same advice- visit the school, see if it's a good fit for you. The most important thing is what's going on on the floor.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshin Ryu is a good fighting system. And I don't have a problem with $130 per month. I've been paying $320 per month to my JKD Sifu for a few years now. But then, I'm training with some reknown JKD guys. It's all about the quality. Having said that, I would research the instructors for quality, and check out the higher ranked students and see how they move. If they are kicking ***, and the instructors are high quality, then I wouldn't worry about the small stuff.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isshin Ryu is a good fighting system. And I don't have a problem with $130 per month. I've been paying $320 per month to my JKD Sifu for a few years now. But then, I'm training with some reknown JKD guys. It's all about the quality. Having said that, I would research the instructors for quality, and check out the higher ranked students and see how they move. If they are kicking ***, and the instructors are high quality, then I wouldn't worry about the small stuff.

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing."

- Oscar Wilde

Why is it every time a poster says a price and a contract, people pile in on it? 'The teacher is going to make a living by teaching? MCDOJO!!!!'

I wonder what responses you're going to get from paying what you pay. And I'm pretty sure they have no idea what your sifu is paying for rent or a mortgage on the building, let alone taxes.

Latest Discussions