is yoga considered a form of martial arts ?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
yoga-an-irish-class.jpg

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yoga is certainly not a MA (I've never even heard that suggested). However, as a supplement to MA, it's excellent. Yamaguchi Gogen, for example, swore by it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yoga is certainly not a MA (I've never even heard that suggested). However, as a supplement to MA, it's excellent. Yamaguchi Gogen, for example, swore by it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewa...oga-scandal_b_1272471.html?ref=books&ir=Books

And it's here that the yoga industry -- and the grassroots movement associated with it -- may soon be facing a backlash of sorts. That's because a new book, The Science of Yoga, by New York Times science reporter William Broad, is about to hit the sales counters. The book calls into question whether yoga is actually the karma-free, healing balm its proponents claim. An excerpt, "How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body," has already appeared in the pages of the Sunday New York Times Magazine -- and the news is disconcerting. The excerpt sent shock waves through the yoga world, leading many long-time yogis to wonder whether their $6 billion industry could suffer a collapse worse than the US stock market crash of 2008, and if so, whether it's time to cash out.

Broad, who's actually reviewed what little scientific and medical evidence is available on the subject, suggests that yoga can often be beneficial for consumers, validating, in part, the thousands of yoga "infomercials" currently floating around the Internet, extolling the virtues of this or that yoga pose. But most of his article, and a good part of his book, details the many ways that yoga, especially the more "powered up" and calisthenic varieties so popular today, isn't good for consumers, and can seriously hurt students and teachers alike, in fact, without them even knowing it.

Broad's not just talking about slight sprains or muscle pulls or minor ligament damage, though these injuries are far more common than people realize. He's referring to permanent and debilitating injuries, including strokes, and chronic hip, knee and spinal cord damage, injuries that can cripple yoga practitioners for life and that may not show up in their body for years, when it's too late to take remedial action.

Yoga bad, IMHO.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
well it is not a martial art these days but there is some that feel it was part of a martial art many years ago. But I am not so sure it ever was an MA or any more a part of one than Qigong is to CMA.

I don't know if I would call it a martial art per se, but I did yoga (should go back), and when i did it, it had the feel of martial arts training. I think all martial artists could benefit from practicing yoga. I did bikram yoga, which is the one in a hot room.

Latest Discussions