Is wing chun effective at all?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I'm saying is most kung fu or karate like Okinawan karate or Kenpo Karate or kung fu like win chun don't do well because of the distance.

A boxer or MMA fighter would not allow you to get that close. If you tried to get that close you get knockout. So you need good blocking and striking to do those moves.

And win chun probably do better than Okinawan karate or Kenpo Karate vs a boxer or MMA fighter.

Problem with most kung fu or most karate is the dynamics of fight is different with a boxer or MMA fighter.

With Okinawan karate or win chun you almost at the person face. And Okinawan karate would do worse than win chun because bad blocking and striking.

At least win chun is really fast striking ,better blocking and better hand striking.Only problem you need to be very close.

You do realize that both Kickboxing and MMA since their inception have been saturated, filled to the brim, With karate\TKD guys who strike the same way the did in Karate\TKD right?

Andy Hug, Lyoto Machida, GSP, just to name a few....

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is an argument to be made for that viewpoint, and that argument could be utilized as a reasoning for why you don't see a lot of systems appearing in MMA competitions.

No I think the argument was is how kung fu or karate work well in today's world of fighting that is so different.

So many people say take boxing or MMA to do well in today's world.

Sure some one the streets a non skilled person or some one not that good at fighting you will win. But modern day fighting is so different than kung fu or karate.

Sure some kung fu or karate may do better than other kung fu or karate.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This whole long range/short range argument applies only to sport.
|
I don't get it. Range is range. Targeting is targeting. Mobility is mobility. Positioning is positioning. Someone trying to KO you in mMA vs. someone trying to KO you in a bar. What are the huge differences once the confrontation is set?
All said and done, there is only one range...contact range. WC builds a bridge to the attacking limb, whether it's a kick or a punch and moves in to a range that helps to nullify much of what our attacker is trying to accomplish.
|
Yep. Traditional karate kumite does the same, step by step from day one. Not as sleek as WC. The preferred traditional karate way is to let the attacker make the 1st move, then counter. Let the attacker exposes himself. WC adopts a similar strategy I think.....

An opponent intent on taking you out is going to mow you over. He's not goingt to nancy around and take pot shots at you.
|
Unless you Smash 'em, stopping the assault.

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are young, athletic or powerfully built, you could do well in any martial arts style.
|
Ah, I don't have the view that traditional martial arts success is set by physical prowess. Certainly it is an advantage against the physically inferior opponent. This advantage decreases as the traditional martial arts foundation strengthens. Was the origin of WC, the story, about a Chinese woman developing it to defeat far physically superior males?

I would presume that WC is the same as any style. Find the right school and you'll learn WC. Whether it's good for anything will depend upon the quality of the training and the qualifications of the instructor.
|
Ah, a generality that is palatable to the masses. But reading of the content @ MT could assist in the proper selection.
|
Still, I train a style of traditional karate. WC is a far greater TMA style than traditional karate as a group. That's my opinion. The Wing Chun martial foundation is so much more sophisticated & powerful in tactical effect. The key question is how many WC practitioners are really developing the originators WC foundation? No many I suspect. I know WC is just too challenging for me. I outright admit it.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...Also, as I have mentioned on a recent thread, WC, I agree starts out very restrictive feeling in stance, structure, etc. But given time and proper training, a WC fighter will move very fluidly and the structures/stances will be momentary snapshots in time.
|
Yes, let's recognize the progressive sophistication in the style. Not just assume some beginner WC wannabe on YT demonstrates the end game.
|
However what's missed in criticizing WC's more stationary tactics is made very plain in even Shotokan karate. The ippon kumite approach of smart stand & bang. Proficient WC takes stand & bang to a whole new level compared to traditional karate. Wc basically chain-punches the opponent into oblivion. Add the multiple block /counter / strike again / block sorties that WC throws at the opponent, often simultaneous defense & attack from more than 1 quarter.
|
The "mental clarity" required to propel WC real time is exceedingly high in my view. Borrowed that from the "State of Mind" T.

Latest Discussions