Is Wing Chun being used the wrong way in fighting?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
wing chun would not work at all to refine the methods of my system, ...
If you can put your arms in your opponent's striking path, his straight punches (such as jab, cross) will be interrupted by your arms. He can only use circular punches (such as hook) around your arms. Comparing with the boxing guard that your opponent's punch can go through between your arms, just that simple WC guard, it already simplifies the fighting complexity into half.

In CMA, you try to control the inside (not outside). When your opponent use hook punch, his center is open. If you know how to take advantage on it, that will be your advantage.

IMO, the best thing that I have learned from the WC system is to use my arms to separate my opponent's arms away from his head. This simple concept is not addressed enough in most CMA systems such as (long fist, preying mantis, Baji, Taiji, ...).

wc_vs_boxing.jpg

Last edited:

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

I thought this had some good ideas, although I don’t know how far he is deviating from what some would consider more “pure” WC. Any thoughts?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

I thought this had some good ideas, although I don’t know how far he is deviating from what some would consider more “pure” WC. Any thoughts?

Personally, I think there are many moves in Wing Chun that are open to interpretation. If you learn the rules of any style long enough, then you eventually start to "break" them to fit your own needs and abilities.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would you say his style deviated much from strict WC forms?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am currently reading Look Beyond the Pointing Finger The Combat Philosophy of Wong Shun Leung by David Peterson. I wish I would have read this months ago. This is a must read if you practice WC IMO. The book addresses pretty much every question I’ve come across on this forum. Outstanding book!

Reactions: KPM

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you say his style deviated much from strict WC forms?

Since Sifu Keith is the NA Rep for GM William Cheung I would say what is taught at his school fits right in with TWC methodology. Other Lineages, I could not say.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like what Mazza does to be honest. I don't have much experience in WC but from what I see, visually, I like it. I don't think it's as important to nit pick how one does their WC. If it works, it works. Keith and TWC have their own way and they do have a very good reputation.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I guess if you can find a guy that with throw a half pulled jab then freeze for 11 seconds without moving while you do all that stuff, this could be quite effective!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh man. The only redeeming quality to this is the humour value of tubs mcgee talking about 'realistic fighting' as he demonstrates the complete opposite.

As always, to judge 'realism' you need to watch what the OTHER guy is doing, not the guy doing the demo. Nobody is going to do what the other guy is doing here, ever.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man. The only redeeming quality to this is the humour value of tubs mcgee talking about 'realistic fighting' as he demonstrates the complete opposite.

As always, to judge 'realism' you need to watch what the OTHER guy is doing, not the guy doing the demo. Nobody is going to do what the other guy is doing here, ever.
A. Have you been to seminars where they are explaining principles via static demonstrations?

B. Second "tubs McGee", as you called him, is actually an SME (Subject Matter Expert, fancy term for Instructor) for the Naval Special Warfare Center (SEALs), US Marine Corps, US Army Special Operations Command and a DoJ as well as NJ Municipal LEO Instructor. He probably knows a little bit more than you.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
A. Have you been to seminars where they are explaining principles via static demonstrations?

B. Second "tubs McGee", as you called him, is actually an SME (Subject Matter Expert, fancy term for Instructor) for the Naval Special Warfare Center (SEALs), US Marine Corps, US Army Special Operations Command and a DoJ as well as NJ Municipal LEO Instructor. He probably knows a little bit more than you.
Yes, I have seen mountains of 'static demonstrations'. The thing about 'static demonstrations' is you can use them to make any old hokey look good. It's easy to do what you like to a motionless dummy.

Pretty much any time you see a scenario that involves 'I do this, this, then that' all the while the other guy is frozen in place what you have is some bee ess.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen mountains of 'static demonstrations'. The thing about 'static demonstrations' is you can use them to make any old hokey look good. It's easy to do what you like to a motionless dummy.

Pretty much any time you see a scenario that involves 'I do this, this, then that' all the while the other guy is frozen in place what you have is some bee ess.
Well then I don't think you were really watching. What did he say?

In a real fight
1. Don't get stuck in the middle.
2. Don't use force on force and if your opponent does, first he can end up working against himself and it can also give you an opening to take his balance.

All he did there was use the partner to demonstrate how this CAN work. It wasn't a "this is how you do it" paint by numbers at all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man, if I ever get attacked by someone who forgets what they are doing mid-attack, I'm going to be frickin' awesome!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

A. yes but then they will demonstrate it in resisted drills and then live sparring. Did that happen?

B. lets pretend nobody cares and instead of judging the technique on their resume lets just judge the technique.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then I don't think you were really watching. What did he say?

In a real fight
1. Don't get stuck in the middle.
2. Don't use force on force and if your opponent does, first he can end up working against himself and it can also give you an opening to take his balance.

All he did there was use the partner to demonstrate how this CAN work. It wasn't a "this is how you do it" paint by numbers at all.
Yes, I really watched. And yes, I heard what he was saying while he was demonstrating a series of things he could do to a slow motion/frozen opponent.

None of which would work against any sort of resistance. All the other guy had to do to negate that entire series of things was take a step backwards, or to the side, or use his other hand, or, you know..move.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I really watched. And yes, I heard what he was saying while he was demonstrating a series of things he could do to a slow motion/frozen opponent.

None of which would work against any sort of resistance. All the other guy had to do to negate that entire series of things was take a step backwards, or to the side, or use his other hand, or, you know..move.
I didn't think he was presenting a series (as in "do this, then that") but a number of options from that frozen point in time.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't think he was presenting a series (as in "do this, then that") but a number of options from that frozen point in time.
Unfortunately time doesn't freeze, and at real time the demo guy would be moving like 'the flash', even to get off any of that. It's all happening when the guy is in mid strike, extended. A split second.

There's a reason why you'll never see this sort of nonsense at full speed and full resistance without cooperation. It's basically LARPing.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately time doesn't freeze, and at real time the demo guy would be moving like 'the flash', even to get off any of that. It's all happening when the guy is in mid strike, extended. A split second.

There's a reason why you'll never see this sort of nonsense at full speed and full resistance without cooperation. It's basically LARPing.

Also likely why we seldom see things like this in sparring.