Is this disrespectful to other linages

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting how many people claim the belt color doesn't matter.... until someone else says that they can't wear their belt color. All of a sudden its an issue... Where did my respect go? I earned this color belt?

I always thought humility was the way to go. Yes, I have a black belt. The thing is that I have a lot more white belts than I have black belts. I have one black belt in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. I have a white belt in practically every other art out there. (except for Shotokan karate now) I keep a white belt in my bag. When I go to train in other arts, I put it on, no questions asked. I will let them know I have experience, and what that experience is in... but I wear a white belt... and act like one, on their mat. If some guy, with 6 months experience is correcting me, on their mat... great!!! I am here to learn their stuff. I find it much easier to learn new things, when not trying to do the "Look what I can do" routine. In fact, when I go cross train, which I do a lot, I go to places where they regularly hand me my tucus on a platter. If I go some place and start taking people apart or showing up the students there, then they don't have much to teach me... I go find some other place, where they own me. These places are where I want to train, these are places that have something to teach me. (fortunately, these places are quite easy for me to find...)

The video at the bottom of the OPs article was great. You got your belt learning something different. You have emphasis in and expertise in a different thing. Not better, not worse, just different.

I think we all put way to much emphasis on rank and belt... even when we think we don't. I think it would be great for everyone, to put on a white belt again, and go train somewhere new for a bit.

The dojo we rent space out of has a bunch of instructors for the main art. They have classes morning and night, 7 days a week in their main art... so they need multiple instructors and one head instructor. One of the main requirements for being an instructor in this dojo, for the main art, is that they are regular students another another instructors class, in the main art. Even the head instructor must abide by this rule. I think its great. Everyone keeps a student perspective and everyone realizes that they have more to learn... even if they happen to be an instructor. At the end of class, we all take our belts off and become just regular people again...

I get more upset over gi restrictions than belt restrictions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with it. I don't care what belt someone visiting my classes wears (because I rarely get any visitors), but when I visit someone, I bring both white and black belts. Some places want to introduce me as a BB, so I wear that one. Other places, I just put the white on. If I went somewhere to join a school, I'd expect to start as a white belt, except perhaps within NGA, especially within the NGAA (where I received my ranks until around 2005). But even within NGA, if I joined a school and they wanted me to start at white, I'd be okay with it. I almost ditched belt colors entirely when I started my own curriculum, so...meh.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I almost ditched belt colors entirely ....
If I don't use tournament record as black belt requirement, I may not care about BB testing that much.

There are only 2 requirement to obtain BB in my system:

- Compete in tournament (willing to test his skill).
- Will teach in the future (willing to share his knowledge with others).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I don't use tournament record as black belt requirement, I may not care about BB testing that much.

There are only 2 requirement to obtain BB in my system:

- Compete in tournament (willing to test his skill).
- Will teach in the future (willing to share his knowledge with others).
I assume there’s also some competency judgment in your part, so if they are competent to a given level, they also must meet these two requirements.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, I’m happy to be training in a system that does not bother with belts. A gi style uniform would be awkward in training White Crane anyways, so any visitor would be better to put on some sweats, athletic shoes and a tee-shirt. Like us regulars do. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I’m happy to be training in a system that does not bother with belts. A gi style uniform would be awkward in training White Crane anyways, so any visitor would be better to put on some sweats, athletic shoes and a tee-shirt. Like us regulars do. :)
I'm curious, how would a dogi be awkward in White Crane training? Or are you just talking about them sticking out like a sore thumb (which I'm actually okay with)?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious, how would a dogi be awkward in White Crane training? Or are you just talking about them sticking out like a sore thumb (which I'm actually okay with)?
It’s just in how we move and such. A gi top gets pulled out of the belt very quickly and won’t stay in place. You would spend the entire time stuffing the top back into place and re-tying the belt.
Shoes are a must. We do a specific, heavily repeated pivoting movement that will tear up bare feet and would change the foundation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s just in how we move and such. A gi top gets pulled out of the belt very quickly and won’t stay in place. You would spend the entire time stuffing the top back into place and re-tying the belt.
Shoes are a must. We do a specific, heavily repeated pivoting movement that will tear up bare feet and would change the foundation.
The former is also true in Judo during randori and many drills, but would get annoying if it just happened during movement.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The former is also true in Judo during randori and many drills, but would get annoying if it just happened during movement.
Yup, it would happen nearly all the time in the training. Do a couple hundred punches with the top flapping loose around you and the belt riding high to your ribs.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Crane energy is so whippy that you really don't want to be fooling with anything tied around you. Loose fitting, pull over top, like a t-shirt works perfectly. Kung Fu tops that button/toggle are okay, if you want to be dressed that way.

I think colored belt/sash systems work really well in large schools, especially ones that are open to members of other clubs and styles. It makes it easier for the instructors and assistants to keep track of where everyone is in their training so that they can give them appropriate instruction. It also helps, in styles like Judo for the senior partner to understand when they are training with someone who isn't as experienced as them.

In small, closed environments, like the one I currently run, I don't feel like they serve any purpose, but do can get in the way in both physical and cultural ways.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is the uniform I got for my 3rd degree. It has belt loops for the elastic band that keep it relatively in place.

Some uniforms stay in place better than others.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the uniform I got for my 3rd degree. It has belt loops for the elastic band that keep it relatively in place.

I’ve been considering the issue, and I think it’s the high shoulder movements that would pull the dogi/dobak out of the belt. A dobak with the closed front would certainly fare better than the wrap-around style, at least.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Is that an elastic band similar to the one many dobok's have to go across the stomach to join the back of the top? They are always quite uncomfortable to me and the first thing I cut off on a new uniform. I am having a hard time seeing how the loops helps considering it is an elastic band and is going to let the front of the uniform still move; albeit, it looks more comfortable than going across the stomach. Where does the 'belt' join?
I do think a dobok is easier to keep inside the belt versus a gi mostly because a gi is usually a good bit heavier material.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think a dobok is easier to keep inside the belt versus a gi mostly because a gi is usually a good bit heavier material.
Just a side comment: gi’s come in a wide range of material. Most of what I trained in most of my student days were about the same weight you’d get in a student dobak.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think a pullover to top could actually work, but the real problem then is the belt. With a lot of the stuff we do, it will pull up around your ribs. Get rid of the belt and use a pullover top, put on some shoes, and you might be fine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I get more upset over gi restrictions than belt restrictions.

The fact that there are still prejudices and restrictions against what a gi looks like these days amazes me, and still ticks me off.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing about any rank, belt, armband, head band, or whatever. When you step onto the training area and begin moving everyone with experience will know very quickly. I've trained in a lot of different martial arts as a black belt. When training somewhere new or a different style if they require a belt I've always worn a white belt. Why? Because first off I'm not a black belt in that school or martial art. In many of them new arts when having to do specifically what they do in the manner they do it I am a white belt. When I first began BJJ I already had black belt ranking or level in 5 martial arts. I stepped onto the mats with my new white belt tied properly and in a manner it wouldn't come untied as soon as we started moving about was a dead give away to the instructor. Thing is even with having had a lot of wrestling years past I got my *** handed to me. It was great! Reminded me I don't know everything and there are skills I don't have an answer for even though many of the principles and concepts are the same; the ability to function is far from it.
Schools are different, styles are different, systems are different even when they are the same.

Latest Discussions