Is there Shaolin practitioners on this forum?

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out, because I haven't really found specifically what he did, except apparently saying something about knowing a huge amount of forms, that people find hard to believe.
I do know that the soards have not even referred to who he is, or anything about him, since I have been there.
It is just on the certificate, not even on the school banner.

And they would if they wanted to, I once asked about something to do with the southern shaolin, like a one dimensional question, and Sharon went on for nearly a half an hour on everything about southern shaoilin.

Wait...are you saying Sin Kwang The is not mentioned in the student handbook? There used to be a whole chapter about him, in the history section, since he is the Soard's teacher and the founder of the system. I would be surprised if they wrote him out, look over that chapter again. That would be a very big development if it were so. Part of the confusion may be because the Soards don't call it "Shaolin Do", their schools are called "Chinese Shaolin Center", so new students won't necessarily know to look into "Shaolin Do" to find out about the style. I was a student in Colorado Springs until '06, and have been to Denver and Boulder for tests and seminars many times. I know that David and Sharon can talk a good game, especially David, their long-winded pre and post class lectures are famous for extending class times significantly, causing classes to run as much as an hour behind schedule. Just because they can talk a lot about something doesn't mean they really know it, and it doesn't mean they actually know the material which they are talking about. I can talk about all sorts of historical things and different martial arts styles, it doesn't mean I have actually studied everything I have ever read about in a book. You are still very early in the process. It is not too late to get out of there without too much lost investment if you are looking for actual Shaolin or Chinese martial arts. If the internal arts are what interest you, there are schools with legitimate lineages in the Denver area, I am sure, and probably Boulder, too. The internal arts as taught by the Soards will require correction and adjustment later from another source. If you have significant experience in another martial art already and you just want to learn a lot of forms, then it may not be so bad. If you have less than a few years of training or are expecting to learn actual Chinese martial arts, this isn't the place to be, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions