Is there really anything you can't teach yourself?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nicholas,

I broke your post up as it makes it easier for me to read and also respond.

Let me play the devils advocate for a second.

No problem, questions are always good, comments are fine, and as long as you allow me to play Devil Devil Advocate then I have no problem.

While personal instruction is always preferred. Let me ask you all this. Who taught the first kung-fu master?

I do not care. But that is history and politics. As pointed out by some here this is based upon the work of many people of long periods of time. It would be like asking as stated earlier why someone did not develop Differential Equations and non-euclidean geometry before addition. One depends upon the other.

Where did the guy who taught him learn his skills?

Not a real valid question if the there was first, how does one get a zero.
Yes I playing the Devil here. I see your point, but it was not presented well.

You point is it had to start somewhere. Some say it started with Cain and Able. Others might say it started when the first parasite attacked and the host had to learn how to defend itself.

Who taught his teacher?

One again if you have a first and then an instructor to the first and then an instructor to the first this is like say N-1 regression back to zero. But when N is 1 you get zero so there is nothing to count. One could also say it is progression of the limit to infinity for future generations. They could be better than the best ever thought of being of today.

Supposedly he learned from watching how the animals fought, I mean that is how the story goes isn't it?

It is your story. I will accept it as I have no data or counter story that has any more validity.

So if his master taught himself from watching the animals....what is to say that somebody else couldn't do the same?

Now comes the real point of your post so far. If the first was able to teach himself then why not others. Of course they can. But most inventors who do not understand science and math end up inventing things that do not work. So ti does become a trial and error situation.

I personally can watch people do an application of a technique or an entry to a technique I may not have seen before and then go do it. But that is me. And from my HUMBLE experience, most people are not me in the least. No insult to others, but may if not most have to see it and or hear it and or feel it before they can get it. So, having a partner that will let you work with him to see if it works is good. But if time is money the amount of time spent to try to learn something basic instead of going and learning it from an instructor makes me wonder why they even bothered. Add to the fact the most beginners do not like the basics and want to jump to the cool stuff. (* Note I will discuss more on basics later in the post *)

Because the founder was a freaking genius and nobody can ever do that, because nobody will ever be that smart or that good???

Well, not that no one, but it does not mean everyone. From my experience, there are too many who think they know it and walk in to a club to test themselves or try to test it on the street only to find out the real hard way that it does not work.

So now time for more Devil to the Devil. Let us assume that you go out and practice on your own. Then you get into a real knife fight and either die or so serious injured you might wish you were dead. And your defense was that this guy on the internet told me it was ok to do this on my own. So, now your family comes along reads your notes and then checks the internet and takes me to court because they are upset you were injured or killed. So, I loose everything because I did not tell you to get proper instruction or refused to reply to the topic at all.

Yes, I think on lots of layers for self defense at all times.

Come on that's absolutely ridiculous.

Whta is more ridiculous is that more people think they can learn to fight without ever being in a fight.

Everyone drives a car, so they think they can run a care company.

Everyone has a check book and credit card, yet for some reason less people think they can handle investment banking. But there are lots of people who think they can.

I find it more ridiculous that people think they should teach themselves. I have taught lots of stuff to me. I have done things instinctively from basics that ended up being applied elsewhere. But in the end I had an instructor or instructors who helped me along.

Note: Knowing a Techinique and knowing when or the timing of the technique are totally different.

There is alot of talk about how videos are the quick easy answer. So to could it be said about having an instructor that teaches you instead of having life experience teach what you need to know.

I think Videos are fine for people who already have instruction in that art. I think they are fine for reference material to refresh your mind, or to give you a jump start after you understnad some basics, but the instructor will guide and dine tune and adjust as required.

You second point above is valid. Just by having an instructor it does nto mean you have it all and know how to apply it. But it does give you the idea of your own workings and home work as well as the instructions of your instructor. Life expereince is the only real test. But most people train to not test in the real life experience.

I mean talking about advanced techniques, how many of those advanced techniques do you really feel you could pull off in a real situation? My guess is maybe a handful if any.

Well, this will seem confusing. I don't do advanced techniques. I only do basics. But, the basics I do, are considered advanced by even those with a black belt in the systems I teach. So, the answer is either all are advanced or there are no advanced.

I teach some basic knife defenses. When asked like I almost get, what I would do in "X" situation, it is not what I just taught. this upsets many confuses most, and frustrates a lot. But I go on to explain, that what I do and what they do would be different as my basics are way above their basics. What I consider normal and obvious most people cannot even see or comprehend. I do break down the timing aspect and the technique changes, and explain that what I taught them will get them more experience to move forward in their training and then from there they can move forward again. I then even let them try the application I did. They get cut. They wonder how I did. I show them again. It is an issue of knowing when and how, not just how.

Most people even martial artists are going to revert to the basics of combat.

This is a true statement. And those that do not revert to basics, will do nothing. But here is the caveat, your basics and mine will not be the same.

That's why it is so important to learn the basics.

This is very true. But most who train my themselves will not spend the time on weight transfer in stances, but instead will strat wavign their arms around and never have their arms tied to their body and a solid frame work and then wonder why it does not work.

But really you could learn the basics on your own. It only takes a few times of being kicked in the nut sack, to realize you don't want to give the guy a full profile, and you need find a way to counter that.

For, me it was just once. I guess you are stronger than I am. :) :D

I agree, if you keep getting hit you need to learn a counter. But if you have no clue because you are always out of position then this is where your training stops. Either from your own point or from stagnation or from death when it ultimately fails.

A buddy of mine that I used to play fight with in grade school, and clean up to and after highschool. Would routinely kick me in the nuts, everytime I went for the roundhouse kick. I learned real fast it's not a good idea to do that kick, at least not against him. He had longer legs. It didn't take a karate, or kung-fu instructor to teach me that. I learned that on my own.

Ah but did you learn that maybe if you started your roundhouse kick and then changed it to a full body block he would kick your shin and he might no try that again, which would open up your round house kick to be an option. Instead you learned not to do something. Instead you should have learned how to move and counter or position and attack, or to bait and set up.

So your learnings for round house kicks stopped there, and possible got worse as you might not practice them as much any more.

(* I have broken up the next into fragments to address each idea or comment *)
So while you can learn more intricate things training from an instructor,
You can also learn basics faster and easier.

the basics you probably could develop on your own,
Probably is true. This means it is not 100%. So what is the percentage for the average person? 30% of 50% or 70%? Is that value added for their time and or training?

and become effective.

While I have known a few street fighters who knew a couple of traps and strikes and could hit hard, they were efective yes. But once they were out classed they were very ineffective. So, effective for what?

Of course as stated above having an instructor and never actually testing your skill set is only marginally better. I do not advocate fights, but controller sparring, with someone to call it when it gets to rough so people can see and feel and learn.

It gets really old for me, hearing all the time, that you have to have an instructor for everything.

It gets really old for me to listen to people who have never been in a fight and trained with an instructor to those who have just trained themselves, pontificate about the values and effectivness of a training method without any real expereince in it.

I know you might say how do I have experience with those who taught themselves? It is easy. They come talk to me and test themselves on me and find it does not work. Most go away and do not come back. Some come back once or twice, but most make the comment that he is too big or too strong or too tall but I KNOW IT WILL WORK. To this I say I have smaller guys in my class that have and do make it work, as they have trained and tested themselves in a controlled manner.

When it's simply not true in my opinion.

Your opinion.

My opinion.

We both have one.

I like training at a dojo, but I have and still do learn things on my own.

Doing your homework is a very important part of learning. Practicing on your own is great. Practicing with a friend is even better. But this assumes a small amount of time a week or two from class to class with you working with others or even less time. This is good training.

If your not, you aren't learning, you being taught.

I agree.

You have to learn to think for yourself, or you'll always just be a student mimmicking moves.

This is very true. Thinking for yourself is not mutually exclusive to haivng an instructor. I would hope that over time you think for yourself, but not right up front. Example of this is basics math. 1 + 1 = 2. We learn this and then move on. We are taught this and then learn move stuff. We even more on to multiplication and subtraction and even division, and then years later, we learn about story problems and then years after that we learn about proofs.

So, if we asked the kindergarten student why is 1 + 1 =2? they will not know. And even if you explain on of the proofs to them, only teh very exceptional could repeat it back and those that repeat it back mot likely would not be able to apply the idea another subject. Sometimes you just learn something so you have blocks to work with, and then later you can learn why those blocks fit together.

Not all techniques work the same for everybody, and sometimes you have to change them, you can't do that, if you don't also think and learn on your own.

Understanding the attributes of the weapon you are using also means understanding the attribute of the technique you have and also the attributes of the opponent you have. Adjusting is good. Learning to adjust is good. Learning to adjust on the fly is better. But only working with yourself or your untrained partner, one will not get this.

That's my humble opinion.:asian:

I am not sure you came across humble and I know I sure did not. ;)

But that is what we get when we play Devil's Advocate and Devil Devil's Advocate. :D

Peace

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey rich I really want to respond to your post, but let me ask this really quick. Before I respond to your post could you tell me how you break up the quotes??? Been wondering how to do that for awhile, and still haven't figured it out. Tried a few different things and it just gets all screwy. Seems like it makes it easier to respond to specific posts. THanks I'll give a good response after you tell me how to break this up.

Nicholas,

I broke your post up as it makes it easier for me to read and also respond.

No problem, questions are always good, comments are fine, and as long as you allow me to play Devil Devil Advocate then I have no problem.

I do not care. But that is history and politics. As pointed out by some here this is based upon the work of many people of long periods of time. It would be like asking as stated earlier why someone did not develop Differential Equations and non-euclidean geometry before addition. One depends upon the other.

Not a real valid question if the there was first, how does one get a zero.
Yes I playing the Devil here. I see your point, but it was not presented well.

You point is it had to start somewhere. Some say it started with Cain and Able. Others might say it started when the first parasite attacked and the host had to learn how to defend itself.

One again if you have a first and then an instructor to the first and then an instructor to the first this is like say N-1 regression back to zero. But when N is 1 you get zero so there is nothing to count. One could also say it is progression of the limit to infinity for future generations. They could be better than the best ever thought of being of today.

It is your story. I will accept it as I have no data or counter story that has any more validity.

Now comes the real point of your post so far. If the first was able to teach himself then why not others. Of course they can. But most inventors who do not understand science and math end up inventing things that do not work. So ti does become a trial and error situation.

I personally can watch people do an application of a technique or an entry to a technique I may not have seen before and then go do it. But that is me. And from my HUMBLE experience, most people are not me in the least. No insult to others, but may if not most have to see it and or hear it and or feel it before they can get it. So, having a partner that will let you work with him to see if it works is good. But if time is money the amount of time spent to try to learn something basic instead of going and learning it from an instructor makes me wonder why they even bothered. Add to the fact the most beginners do not like the basics and want to jump to the cool stuff. (* Note I will discuss more on basics later in the post *)

Well, not that no one, but it does not mean everyone. From my experience, there are too many who think they know it and walk in to a club to test themselves or try to test it on the street only to find out the real hard way that it does not work.

So now time for more Devil to the Devil. Let us assume that you go out and practice on your own. Then you get into a real knife fight and either die or so serious injured you might wish you were dead. And your defense was that this guy on the internet told me it was ok to do this on my own. So, now your family comes along reads your notes and then checks the internet and takes me to court because they are upset you were injured or killed. So, I loose everything because I did not tell you to get proper instruction or refused to reply to the topic at all.

Yes, I think on lots of layers for self defense at all times.

Whta is more ridiculous is that more people think they can learn to fight without ever being in a fight.

Everyone has a check book and credit card, yet for some reason less people think they can handle investment banking. But there are lots of people who think they can.

I find it more ridiculous that people think they should teach themselves. I have taught lots of stuff to me. I have done things instinctively from basics that ended up being applied elsewhere. But in the end I had an instructor or instructors who helped me along.

Note: Knowing a Techinique and knowing when or the timing of the technique are totally different.

I think Videos are fine for people who already have instruction in that art. I think they are fine for reference material to refresh your mind, or to give you a jump start after you understnad some basics, but the instructor will guide and dine tune and adjust as required.

You second point above is valid. Just by having an instructor it does nto mean you have it all and know how to apply it. But it does give you the idea of your own workings and home work as well as the instructions of your instructor. Life expereince is the only real test. But most people train to not test in the real life experience.

Well, this will seem confusing. I don't do advanced techniques. I only do basics. But, the basics I do, are considered advanced by even those with a black belt in the systems I teach. So, the answer is either all are advanced or there are no advanced.

I teach some basic knife defenses. When asked like I almost get, what I would do in "X" situation, it is not what I just taught. this upsets many confuses most, and frustrates a lot. But I go on to explain, that what I do and what they do would be different as my basics are way above their basics. What I consider normal and obvious most people cannot even see or comprehend. I do break down the timing aspect and the technique changes, and explain that what I taught them will get them more experience to move forward in their training and then from there they can move forward again. I then even let them try the application I did. They get cut. They wonder how I did. I show them again. It is an issue of knowing when and how, not just how.

This is a true statement. And those that do not revert to basics, will do nothing. But here is the caveat, your basics and mine will not be the same.

This is very true. But most who train my themselves will not spend the time on weight transfer in stances, but instead will strat wavign their arms around and never have their arms tied to their body and a solid frame work and then wonder why it does not work.

For, me it was just once. I guess you are stronger than I am. :) :D

I agree, if you keep getting hit you need to learn a counter. But if you have no clue because you are always out of position then this is where your training stops. Either from your own point or from stagnation or from death when it ultimately fails.

Ah but did you learn that maybe if you started your roundhouse kick and then changed it to a full body block he would kick your shin and he might no try that again, which would open up your round house kick to be an option. Instead you learned not to do something. Instead you should have learned how to move and counter or position and attack, or to bait and set up.

So your learnings for round house kicks stopped there, and possible got worse as you might not practice them as much any more.

You can also learn basics faster and easier.

Probably is true. This means it is not 100%. So what is the percentage for the average person? 30% of 50% or 70%? Is that value added for their time and or training?

While I have known a few street fighters who knew a couple of traps and strikes and could hit hard, they were efective yes. But once they were out classed they were very ineffective. So, effective for what?

Of course as stated above having an instructor and never actually testing your skill set is only marginally better. I do not advocate fights, but controller sparring, with someone to call it when it gets to rough so people can see and feel and learn.

It gets really old for me to listen to people who have never been in a fight and trained with an instructor to those who have just trained themselves, pontificate about the values and effectivness of a training method without any real expereince in it.

I know you might say how do I have experience with those who taught themselves? It is easy. They come talk to me and test themselves on me and find it does not work. Most go away and do not come back. Some come back once or twice, but most make the comment that he is too big or too strong or too tall but I KNOW IT WILL WORK. To this I say I have smaller guys in my class that have and do make it work, as they have trained and tested themselves in a controlled manner.

Your opinion.

My opinion.

We both have one.

Doing your homework is a very important part of learning. Practicing on your own is great. Practicing with a friend is even better. But this assumes a small amount of time a week or two from class to class with you working with others or even less time. This is good training.

I agree.

This is very true. Thinking for yourself is not mutually exclusive to haivng an instructor. I would hope that over time you think for yourself, but not right up front. Example of this is basics math. 1 + 1 = 2. We learn this and then move on. We are taught this and then learn move stuff. We even more on to multiplication and subtraction and even division, and then years later, we learn about story problems and then years after that we learn about proofs.

So, if we asked the kindergarten student why is 1 + 1 =2? they will not know. And even if you explain on of the proofs to them, only teh very exceptional could repeat it back and those that repeat it back mot likely would not be able to apply the idea another subject. Sometimes you just learn something so you have blocks to work with, and then later you can learn why those blocks fit together.

Understanding the attributes of the weapon you are using also means understanding the attribute of the technique you have and also the attributes of the opponent you have. Adjusting is good. Learning to adjust is good. Learning to adjust on the fly is better. But only working with yourself or your untrained partner, one will not get this.

I am not sure you came across humble and I know I sure did not. ;)

But that is what we get when we play Devil's Advocate and Devil Devil's Advocate. :D

Peace

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey rich I really want to respond to your post, but let me ask this really quick. Before I respond to your post could you tell me how you break up the quotes??? Been wondering how to do that for awhile, and still haven't figured it out. Tried a few different things and it just gets all screwy. Seems like it makes it easier to respond to specific posts. THanks I'll give a good response after you tell me how to break this up.

You need to use the following:

Use these [ ] with the word quote in between. Use that at the beginning. Do the same thing at the end of the paragraph you want to quote, with a / before the word quote.

Hope that helped. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me ask you all this. Who taught the first kung-fu master? Where did the guy who taught him learn his skills? Who taught his teacher?

My belief is that an art as intricate as kung fu must have developed over several generations, from a much simpler system. When it became a form of "kung fu" to be "mastered" is something of a heap paradox issue. But, no one sat down and created Wing Chun from whole cloth...nor Western boxing. Someone who had a good punch taught someone who worked on the defenses, who taught someone who saw the need for footwork...it took several minds over several teaching generations.

You could start this process in one lifetime, but not finish it. It takes time (for the trial and error, as suggested above) and the viewpoints of multiple individuals with different experiences, opinions, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Now if you're building from a base of having been trained in actual arts, it's different.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to use the following:

Use these [ ] with the word quote in between. Use that at the beginning. Do the same thing at the end of the paragraph you want to quote, with a / before the word quote.

Hope that helped. :)
You can also make use of the nifty little cartoon-like word balloon at the top of the reply area. It'll put the two sets of qoute signals in the post. If you highlight a portion of your post, and click on the word balloon, it'll break it out like

Or, you can just copy and past and move them around as you need.

OP
D

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, wait a second.

This guy in one thread claims that he's seventeen. In another he claims that he was a golden gloves boxer for two years, and there is no way you can reach that level by reading a book. Then he starts this thread and says that theoretically you could teach yourself martial arts if you use common sense when training, or read a martial arts guide.

Am I the only one who sees a gross contradiction between these two threads? You can't learn boxing from a book, but you can learn other martial arts that way? How many 15 year old golden gloves boxers are there out there? According to wikipedia, the answer is none. Golden gloves is only open to amateur boxers 16 and older.

I won't call the OP a liar. That would be rude. Some others have called him a troll. I won't do that either.

I'll just leave this here so people can come to their own conclusions.

-Rob
If you knew anything about amateur boxing, which you don't, as is obvious by you citing wikipedia, then you would know that the Golden Gloves is open to anyone over the age of I believe 8. Over 16 is just for open class fighters. 16 and under fight under the title of Junior Olympian. Please never cite wikipedia again.

OP
D

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
actually you have to be 15 according to the 2008 Junior Olympic Fact Sheet

http://usaboxing.org/event/event/247

jf

That's for the National Junior Olympic Tournament, which is different than fighting in the Golden Gloves as a kid. Idk though, when they signed me up when I was 15, they signed me as JO, which I assumed was for Junior Olympian. I didnt pay much attention to detail though

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After ten years of intense training in one art in order to develop a base and several years training in other arts to provide perspective, only then did I begin to teach my self a few things. And then, I only did it after I was an adult and had trained for several years as a kid and a teen. I didn't even count that in the "ten years" mentioned above.

The thing about teaching myself that I knew that I had to understand was that I knew that I would make mistakes and these mistakes would require me to eventually go out and seek a teacher. The other thing that I had to understand was that the further I moved away from my knowledge base, the more mistakes there were.

For example, I can teach myself a kata and learn the bunkai in a system that is similar to my style of karate. I would NOT think that I could have this kind of success with sword work though. My prior experience is just too limited.

Anyway, sorry for jumping in so late, but that's my two bits.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the idea of teaching oneself a skill to be inherently absurd. How does one go about teaching oneself something that they don't know?If you knew the skill welll enough to instruct it you wouldn't need to be your own student, now would you?Kinda like reading a self-help book, really. If you could help your self in the first place, you wouldn't need the book.:)

Seriously, without an expansive base of knowledge I don't think that it is possible to gain any real level of usefull ability by self-study from videos and books. Assuming that you have a solid working knowledge of the art in question, the fact is you could learn from a video and increase your skills. Without that base of skill, though you're kidding yourself if you think that you are going to develop any usefull ability at martial arts.

I realize that I could be very wrong on this, but I've never met anyone that has trained exclusively from videos and books, sans a live instructor, that was worth anything as a martial artist. Having a qualified teacher and training partners is indispensible. If your goal is not to be worth a crap as a martial artist then by all means train this way.

In other words, your'e going to get out of training what you put in to it. Think of it as an invesment in youself. If you think so little of yourself that you would invest garbage in your training, then that is what you will get out of it, and frankly that is what you deserve to get out of it. If, on the other hand, you have a higher opinion of yourself and want to invest something more valuable then get on a mat with an instructor, sweat and earn the skills.Taking short cuts and easy outs in training demonstrate laziness and a lack of discipline that will not serve you well in a violent encounter, and in point of fact are indicitive of the personality type that isn't suited to self-directed in the first place. If you want to want to learn martial arts, find a teacher, get on the mat, and train.

Just my view.
Mark

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is important not to confuse myth with reality. The "myth" is taught from watching animals, but that's all it is, a myth.

All skills are learnt basically the same way, one person comes up with something and passes it on, the next person takes it, expands on it and passes on the improved version.

Einstein didn't just pull relativity theory out of nothing, he built upon countless scientists before him. The microchip wasn't a sudden gift from the God of technology in its current format, it was a gradual improvement over much simpler devices.

Fighting is something that is as older then civilisation, even animals pass on fighting skills to their young. (Who taught the tiger?)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Einstein didn't just pull relativity theory out of nothing, he built upon countless scientists before him. The microchip wasn't a sudden gift from the God of technology in its current format, it was a gradual improvement over much simpler devices.

Einstein first came up with special relativity. That theory uses nothing but simple calculus and college maths. While the implications are profound and many, it is still fairly easy to grasp.

But the math for general relativity eluded him for years. He had the general idea right, but failed to fit it in a mathematical model. Then he found the work of Riemann (a dead mathematician), and recognized that it was the perfect model for describing his ideas.

Even the great innovators don't innovate out of the blue. They build upon 'basics' that were contributed by many others, and then use their ideas to bring it together. If Einstein had had to do everything himself, he'd never have finished his theories.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me play the devils advocate for a second. While personal instruction is always preferred. Let me ask you all this. Who taught the first kung-fu master? Where did the guy who taught him learn his skills? Who taught his teacher? Supposedly he learned from watching how the animals fought, I mean that is how the story goes isn't it? So if his master taught himself from watching the animals....what is to say that somebody else couldn't do the same? Because the founder was a freaking genius and nobody can ever do that, because nobody will ever be that smart or that good??? Come on that's absolutely ridiculous. There is alot of talk about how videos are the quick easy answer. So to could it be said about having an instructor that teaches you instead of having life experience teach what you need to know. I mean talking about advanced techniques, how many of those advanced techniques do you really feel you could pull off in a real situation? My guess is maybe a handful if any. Most people even martial artists are going to revert to the basics of combat. That's why it is so important to learn the basics. But really you could learn the basics on your own. It only takes a few times of being kicked in the nut sack, to realize you don't want to give the guy a full profile, and you need find a way to counter that. A buddy of mine that I used to play fight with in grade school, and clean up to and after highschool. Would routinely kick me in the nuts, everytime I went for the roundhouse kick. I learned real fast it's not a good idea to do that kick, at least not against him. He had longer legs. It didn't take a karate, or kung-fu instructor to teach me that. I learned that on my own. So while you can learn more intricate things training from an instructor, the basics you probably could develop on your own, and become effective. It gets really old for me, hearing all the time, that you have to have an instructor for everything. When it's simply not true in my opinion. I like training at a dojo, but I have and still do learn things on my own. If your not, you aren't learning, you being taught. You have to learn to think for yourself, or you'll always just be a student mimmicking moves. Not all techniques work the same for everybody, and sometimes you have to change them, you can't do that, if you don't also think and learn on your own. That's my humble opinion.:asian:

See, IMHO, there is a difference between the old Masters and someone who wants to learn via DVD. The dvd student, is likely looking for an easy way to train. I mean think about it....train at home when you want, vs. getting on the mat and putting in some blood, sweat and tears. They're probably going to watch the video and assume that now they're an expert in (insert art here).

The Masters went out and tested their stuff. Look at the Kajukenbo founders. 5 people from various arts, getting together and testing each other art. Kenpo vs. boxing, Kenpo vs. Judo, Judo vs. Boxing. Each of the founders came from a different background, so they tested their art against each other, found techs. that worked the best and thus, Kaju was born. Back then, if someone got their butt handed to them, it was back to the drawing board. Highly unlikely that a dvd student is going to do that today.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Because the founder was a freaking genius and nobody can ever do that, because nobody will ever be that smart or that good???"

Just to add onto this. I don't think its as crazy as you made it sound. If we look at some of the past masters, as well as those that are living today, to find a dvd student that is on the same level as them....I'd bet 1 in a million. If someone could watch a Larry Tatum dvd set (and nothing against Tatum BTW) and think that they're going to be on his level or the level of Ed Parker, by watching a dvd, well, IMHO, those people are living a fantasy.

Just my .02 :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you knew anything about amateur boxing, which you don't, as is obvious by you citing wikipedia, then you would know that the Golden Gloves is open to anyone over the age of I believe 8. Over 16 is just for open class fighters. 16 and under fight under the title of Junior Olympian. Please never cite wikipedia again.
Please never start a patently stupid thread again.
Please never make false claims about being a junior olympian again.
Please never make racist or sexist comments again.
Please never post about things that you obviously are uninformed about.

Citing wikipedia is not in bad taste. Your behavior on the other hand is.

Daniel

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as martial arts go, is there really anything you can't learn on your own (alone in the sense that you don't have a proper instructor, not that you don't have a sparring partner) besides things like how to do a proper horse stance and silly things like that?

When I think about it, it just seems to me like most martial arts in general mainly teach people improve their reflexes, reaction time, and coordination, which are all things one can do if they use their common sense when training. Things like joint-locks and grappling techniques to me seem like they could be self-taught from either watching videos of others, reading a martial arts guide, or even just coming up with stuff on your own, provided you have a partner you can try your ideas on.

I guess theoretically it is possible, as that is how people come up with new styles of martial arts, but what do you think?

I think you answered your own question. Could you learn boxing from a book? Except for silly things like a jab or uppercut or overhand right? You said you wanted to laugh at the thought of learning from a book. What the HELL do you think we're doing now?

Do you not see how ignorant you sound with your white, sexist and gay comments? And then to back pedal in your own thread makes you sound 100% ignorant. Like I said before, do some homework and then come back. I think the majority of the people hear have done just that, their homework. Not a whole lot of people jump into an art without doing any homework and research on it at all.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Indeed.

I've been following this thread since it started, but I haven't commented because what is there to say? Clearly this thread has been answered.

You can learn about martial arts from a book or documentary.

You can only learn martial arts through personal instruction.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I guess I really don't have anything to come back with to actually give a good reply to, Rich with. Now that I have read his post a second time, and had a cup of coffee this morning, there isn't much I can say to his Devil's, Devils Advocate post. But I'm gonna try anyways.

[/quote]

Yes, I think on lots of layers for self defense at all times. [/quote]

So this is where I would like to start. This is a good point that you bring up. Especially in the first paragraph. About what they taught themselves not working. It is also true, that many times blackbelts get into altercations, and get the snot kicked out them, even though they were taught by somebody, that supposedly knew something. Yet, even after being taught self-defense, you can still get ya butt kicked by a guy that picks up a rock, and bashes you in the back of the head repeatedly till you stop moving. You learn real fast, that what you learned aint the way things go down, when it matters. Seriously, the way most people are taught how to fight, in a dojo, is not the way it goes down in the street. Really in my opinion, I really think that often times being instructed gives people a false sense of security. So that having been said, that doesn't mean that, that will happen to an individual that has had "proper instruction". It just means that it is still a possibility. As much as the guy who trained himself? Well, probably not, but it is still there.

So, to your second paragraph, the being sued part.....well, I would imagine the same would be true, if the man took your advise and got "proper instruction", and got seriously injured or killed. He could make the argument, that because he took your advise and went to a dojo to learn from an instructor, that he got beat up so badly because he took your advise, and should have just gone ahead and developed his own personal form of combat for himself. You see my point? That's a no win there. Your screwed from the word go in that scenario, because no matter what you say, it potentially could come back to bite ya in the ***. LOL!

[/quote]

Everyone has a check book and credit card, yet for some reason less people think they can handle investment banking. But there are lots of people who think they can. [/quote]

I agree 100% with this statement. It does take being in a fight, to know what one is all about, and to learn from that experience, means being honest with yourself, not always an easy thing to do, when peoples egos get in the way.

[/quote]

Note: Knowing a Techinique and knowing when or the timing of the technique are totally different. [/quote]

This is where I will disagree with you just a tad. My point being this. Unless your practicing a technique at full speed, your timing will never be spot on. A good example of this is when I was studying Aikido. There is a technique where the opponent is trying to attack you with an overhead chop, which at the time I could only assume would later, be a defense against an overhead attack from a say a stick or a baseball bat. Anyways, the defense was that I had to charge in, grab his arm before he started the downward motion, so that I could break his balance forcing him backwards. ( I'm not describing it very well, but you get the point I think). We were practicing this technique from about three feet apart I would say. Supposed to be doing it at half speed. The problem is I had to move at 3/4 speed or almost full speed, to get there in time, and I was still late. My point has always been if you can't do it at half speed when it doesn't matter, you'll never do it when your opponent is doing it at full speed, and he 's trying to kill you. It's not going to happen. Your heads getting busted open by the baseball bat. You don't get good timing, by your opponent moving at half speed, and you moving at 3/4's is my point.

[/quote]I think Videos are fine for people who already have instruction in that art. I think they are fine for reference material to refresh your mind, or to give you a jump start after you understnad some basics, but the instructor will guide and dine tune and adjust as required.

You second point above is valid. Just by having an instructor it does nto mean you have it all and know how to apply it. But it does give you the idea of your own workings and home work as well as the instructions of your instructor. Life expereince is the only real test. But most people train to not test in the real life experience. [/quote]

I agree with this again. As far as life experience. Nothing teaches you better to get out of the way of being punched than actually being punched. You learn real quick that you don't like it. :)

[/quote]Well, this will seem confusing. I don't do advanced techniques. I only do basics. But, the basics I do, are considered advanced by even those with a black belt in the systems I teach. So, the answer is either all are advanced or there are no advanced.

I teach some basic knife defenses. When asked like I almost get, what I would do in "X" situation, it is not what I just taught. this upsets many confuses most, and frustrates a lot. But I go on to explain, that what I do and what they do would be different as my basics are way above their basics. What I consider normal and obvious most people cannot even see or comprehend. I do break down the timing aspect and the technique changes, and explain that what I taught them will get them more experience to move forward in their training and then from there they can move forward again. I then even let them try the application I did. They get cut. They wonder how I did. I show them again. It is an issue of knowing when and how, not just how. [/quote]

This one does make me raise an eyebrow. Not to be rude or discourteous, but it does sound a little bragadocious to me. The basics are the basics. They are the foundation upon which your whole system works from. There is a reason for why they are called the basics, because they aren't advanced. So to say, that you have advanced techniques that to you are basic, but to everyone else, is so far advanced that, they still struggle with them. Would mean that your doing advanced material and saying that your comfortable enough with those techniques, that they now feel like basic material, correct? But I will agree it is not just a matter of how, it is a matter of when and how.

[/quote]This is a true statement. And those that do not revert to basics, will do nothing. But here is the caveat, your basics and mine will not be the same. [/quote]

This is true also, as everyone has varying levels of skill.

[/quote]This is very true. But most who train my themselves will not spend the time on weight transfer in stances, but instead will strat wavign their arms around and never have their arms tied to their body and a solid frame work and then wonder why it does not work.[/quote]

Hmm...this one I don't know. When I was about 21 or so I was dating this girl who's dad was a martial arts instructor. She was showing me how her dad taught a kick from the neutral bow. It consisted of transferring your stance to a forward bow, and then kicking with the rear leg, forward at your opponent. She had informed me that, that particular kick was in the beginning very difficult for her, because she had a hard time with the forward bow. My response was "Why did you have to be taught a forward bow, to do that kick? The only way you can kick that way is to do a forward bow. Period." She didn't understand what I meant so I said watch. I did the neutral bow stance and kicked from it. I didn't think about the stance change, because it's automatic, for anybody that wants to perform that kick, they have to move that way. Once shown, she understood. But they had spent hours learning the forward bow. To learn one kick. When in reality all they needed was to be shown the kick. Now, are there other uses for the forward bow, absolutely, but for that kick, not needed to be taught. So, some things you don't have a choice in the matter, it's the only way you can do it.

[/quote]For, me it was just once. I guess you are stronger than I am. :) [/quote]

Hehe :) Yeah well this was back in the day, when I could kick someone in the face. LOL! Not anymore. HAHA. I learned to keep the kicks low. And not turn my back, even for a roundhouse kick, ( I think everybody calls it something else, I was taught it was roundhouse. But I've heard house kick, and crescent kick, rear wheel kick etc....) LOL! Watched to many Van Damme movies back then. LOL! :)

[/quote]I agree, if you keep getting hit you need to learn a counter. But if you have no clue because you are always out of position then this is where your training stops. Either from your own point or from stagnation or from death when it ultimately fails.[/quote]

What about drunken boxing? Those guys always look like they are out of position, yet they can perform some pretty good defenses. Perhaps that is where it comes from. A guy who moved weird and figured a way to make it work?

[/quote]Ah but did you learn that maybe if you started your roundhouse kick and then changed it to a full body block he would kick your shin and he might no try that again, which would open up your round house kick to be an option. Instead you learned not to do something. Instead you should have learned how to move and counter or position and attack, or to bait and set up.[/quote]

Nah I learned to wait for him to try the same and got him back, a few times. Was the last time we tried those moves on each other. LOL!

[/quote]So your learnings for round house kicks stopped there, and possible got worse as you might not practice them as much any more.[/quote]

Truthfully I have found very little use, for myself personally, with all of the fancy kicks. I don't kick higher than the waste anymore, and I very seldom use a roundhouse kick. Just not very effective, in my opinion.

[/quote]You can also learn basics faster and easier. [/quote]

Perhaps, if the instructor teaches you them, in a easy to learn manner. What I have found is that more often than not, when you start at a school, even in the basics class, you neve start at the beginning, you start somewhere's in the middle of the class, and so you miss out on the basic stuff the other students have already learned and are moving on, so you end up having to play catch up.

[/quote]While I have known a few street fighters who knew a couple of traps and strikes and could hit hard, they were efective yes. But once they were out classed they were very ineffective. So, effective for what?

Of course as stated above having an instructor and never actually testing your skill set is only marginally better. I do not advocate fights, but controller sparring, with someone to call it when it gets to rough so people can see and feel and learn. [/quote]

True, true, but don't underestimate the street fighter. They got dirty little secrets and tricks, that can tip the scales.

[/quote]It gets really old for me to listen to people who have never been in a fight and trained with an instructor to those who have just trained themselves, pontificate about the values and effectivness of a training method without any real expereince in it.

I know you might say how do I have experience with those who taught themselves? It is easy. They come talk to me and test themselves on me and find it does not work. Most go away and do not come back. Some come back once or twice, but most make the comment that he is too big or too strong or too tall but I KNOW IT WILL WORK. To this I say I have smaller guys in my class that have and do make it work, as they have trained and tested themselves in a controlled manner. [/quote]

Testing something under controlled circumstances, means you have an idea of what will happen when said theory, or in this case martial art is used. But until you have real world, (outside of a control), you won't know, if it applies to real world applications, or if it's just good for teaching people, to pay the rent you know, ( don't take offense not directed at you rich, just a generalization, on the testing. I'm sure you have real world data, from personal life experience. However, we are mainly talking about people that don't. SO don't be offended. GOD I hate the P.C. world always having to cover your butt you know. LOL!).

I will say this though. And maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to make an art work. When I think of that phrase to my mind it means hard to use. I think a martial arts system should be relatively easy to use. As far as skill learned. If you HAVE to make it work, it means it's not working for you. I see myself trying force the system to work instead of it just working. I don't know if that made any sense.

[/quote]Your opinion.

My opinion.

We both have one. [/quote]

Ditto, and I find yours as well some of the other posters on here to be very valuable.

[/quote]Doing your homework is a very important part of learning. Practicing on your own is great. Practicing with a friend is even better. But this assumes a small amount of time a week or two from class to class with you working with others or even less time. This is good training. [/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I will take it one step further, and say that if you have a video from the system it's even better, for practicing on your own or with a friend, cause then you can watch it, and make sure your doing it right for when you back to class.

[/quote]This is very true. Thinking for yourself is not mutually exclusive to haivng an instructor. I would hope that over time you think for yourself, but not right up front. Example of this is basics math. 1 + 1 = 2. We learn this and then move on. We are taught this and then learn move stuff. We even more on to multiplication and subtraction and even division, and then years later, we learn about story problems and then years after that we learn about proofs.

So, if we asked the kindergarten student why is 1 + 1 =2? they will not know. And even if you explain on of the proofs to them, only teh very exceptional could repeat it back and those that repeat it back mot likely would not be able to apply the idea another subject. Sometimes you just learn something so you have blocks to work with, and then later you can learn why those blocks fit together.[/quote]

True

[/quote]Understanding the attributes of the weapon you are using also means understanding the attribute of the technique you have and also the attributes of the opponent you have. Adjusting is good. Learning to adjust is good. Learning to adjust on the fly is better. But only working with yourself or your untrained partner, one will not get this.[/quote]

No, perhaps not, but you can get some of it. I learned alot from my buddy. He was faster, stronger, and more athletically gifted. I learned alot, about what to do, and what not to do, when in a real life situation. Never used it on him, cause I wouldn't have a practice partner anymore. But, basically I learned that when your out gunned and out classed, cheat. LOL!

[/quote]I am not sure you came across humble and I know I sure did not. ;)

But that is what we get when we play Devil's Advocate and Devil Devil's Advocate. :D [/quote]

Well, I don't know about that. I give my opinion as I see it. It is humble, as it is just honest, as I feel yours was. If it's not taken that way, well then I'm sorry. Read it for what it is just one man's opinion. Like my father always says. Opinions are like *******s everybody's got one. LOL!

Peace
:asian:

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SHIHANSMURF:

I love the name by the way. Makes me laugh. I have to ask you this, from your post. Are you saying that you can't learn anything unless some one teaches it to you? I mean I'm a self taught guitar player for the most part, and pretty good at it. I know some individuals who are 100% self taught and they are phenomenal. I mean really good. What about self taught pianists? Anything can be self taught. It's like saying that you have to go to school to learn how to fix your car. How many backyard mechanics are there in the world? I just find it extremely funny how there are so many things in this world that you actually can learn on your own, that are just as complicated if not more so than martial arts, but martial arts you HAVE to have someone teach you. I don't understand that thinking. I don't necassarily think it's a good idea, but, I mean, in theory it is possible.