Is that like 'let them eat cake'?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its not as rare an exception as you think. People are always buying crab meat and steaks, Take out food, here on the independence cards

Healthy food that you actually have to cook yourself isnt that expensive just requires some actual "work" like cooking and cleaning.

Yes, people should get help to buy healthy food, but the majority has no concept anymore of what is healthy, nor can they prepare a meal with real - h
So make required nutrition classes as part of the requirements to get on the program, as well as drug and alcohol and tobacco testing.

Yes its not their money so yes they do need to "go without" the program isnt for creature comforts to to provide nutrition

Its not just the article I see it first hand. I deal with the poor 90% of the time. Ive been in these peoples homes seen in their refrigerators, Ive dug through their trash, Ive searched their homes, hell Ive seen my own sister who live off the Govt scam the system and show up at my parents house for a cook out with a bag full of NY Strips and Potato Chips and brag that she used her welfare card.

Poor thing maybe she could try getting a job like the rest of us and not blame a crooked legal system and the govt for cutting her assistance

Your experience has your view point tainted.
I am sure you are NOT dealing with the majority of recipients.
Just with the turds that float to the top.

I think you are holding the majority to a higher standard than the rest of the population.

I was not talking about the ones you describe. I am sure their numbers has, even with procreation numbers rivaling those of rabbits, not sky rocketed as the numbers of recipients.

As for my friend, the 'poor thing':
Life is not kind nor fair to the old woman who complied by society's standards of her day, staying home, tending the kids and doing charitable work. In the end you get nothing for that, not even pittance. Forget a job. Too qualified for Walmart, too old for the rest of the market, too poor to afford pizza delivery (yeah, she did that for a while...)

She made ends meet by - this might surprise you - being self reliant and thrifty. But the tax man still wants money and not potatoes, and not everything can be grown in the back yard...

back to the point, the original one:
Beyond that, however, you might think that ensuring adequate nutrition for children, which is a large part of what SNAP does, actually makes it less, not more likely that those children will be poor and need public assistance when they grow up. And that’s what the evidence shows. The economists Hilary Hoynes and Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach have studied the impact of the food stamp program in the 1960s and 1970s, when it was gradually rolled out across the country. They found that children who received early assistance grew up, on average, to be healthier and more productive adults than those who didn’t — and they were also, it turns out, less likely to turn to the safety net for help.
Oh snap.

Yeah, we have since bred a couple of generations of carrier milkers in a few pockets, true.
But the majority is probably not proud of being on welfare, nor flaunting it.

But it seems that the top earners in the country even begrudge the dirt under the fingernails of the have-nots.

All while not paying but minimum taxes and exploiting every tax loophole.
You want more money in the coffers, pay up, don't take away from those who don't have a pot to piss in!
And while you think it's 'waste', it is probably money wiser spend than giving the Kochs, Ryans or Gates of this world another tax break: Unlike the rich who can stash money away in tax shelters (you know, like in not paying the government) even the scum system milers don't keep this under their pillows: They spend this money in stores in the community, be it on meat, vegetables or booze, which in turn generates tax income on many levels, and paid jobs for store clerks, etc...

THAT is a trickle own effect.
That off-shore account in the Kayman Islands?
Not so much.

Ramen might fill one up for the day, but it's hardly balanced nutrition!

PS on the cooking:
It's been a few generations since cooking was a required skill, thank you TV diners.
Peple are no loner raised on home cooked food, they have no idea what real food is supposed to taste like!
That is a huge hurdle to overcome.
Not to mention that the economically and intellectually challenged are commonly the most notorious picky eaters.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your experience has your view point tainted.
I am sure you are NOT dealing with the majority of recipients.
Just with the turds that float to the top.

I think you are holding the majority to a higher standard than the rest of the population.

I was not talking about the ones you describe. I am sure their numbers has, even with procreation numbers rivaling those of rabbits, not sky rocketed as the numbers of recipients.

As for my friend, the 'poor thing':
Life is not kind nor fair to the old woman who complied by society's standards of her day, staying home, tending the kids and doing charitable work. In the end you get nothing for that, not even pittance. Forget a job. Too qualified for Walmart, too old for the rest of the market, too poor to afford pizza delivery (yeah, she did that for a while...)

She made ends meet by - this might surprise you - being self reliant and thrifty. But the tax man still wants money and not potatoes, and not everything can be grown in the back yard...

back to the point, the original one:

Oh snap.

Yeah, we have since bred a couple of generations of carrier milkers in a few pockets, true.
But the majority is probably not proud of being on welfare, nor flaunting it.

But it seems that the top earners in the country even begrudge the dirt under the fingernails of the have-nots.

All while not paying but minimum taxes and exploiting every tax loophole.
You want more money in the coffers, pay up, don't take away from those who don't have a pot to piss in!
And while you think it's 'waste', it is probably money wiser spend than giving the Kochs, Ryans or Gates of this world another tax break: Unlike the rich who can stash money away in tax shelters (you know, like in not paying the government) even the scum system milers don't keep this under their pillows: They spend this money in stores in the community, be it on meat, vegetables or booze, which in turn generates tax income on many levels, and paid jobs for store clerks, etc...

THAT is a trickle own effect.
That off-shore account in the Kayman Islands?
Not so much.

Ramen might fill one up for the day, but it's hardly balanced nutrition!

PS on the cooking:
It's been a few generations since cooking was a required skill, thank you TV diners.
Peple are no loner raised on home cooked food, they have no idea what real food is supposed to taste like!
That is a huge hurdle to overcome.
Not to mention that the economically and intellectually challenged are commonly the most notorious picky eaters.

All excuses for not holding people accountable.........................You dont want Ramen get a better job

I don't think we need to end all assistance I think we need to end all assistance for luxury items. You shouldn't have sushi buyers float to the top of the bowl because they shouldn't even be able to swipe the card for sushi in the first place. Few clicks of a mouse and removing luxury items is not to hard and keeps people from getting pissed over the abuse. Thats our money the bowl floaters are spending

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a right wing mindset, a Grown up act like an Adult mindset stop looking for handout mindset

BTW, if you are incapable of taking care of yourself and those you are responsible for, you damn well should be ashamed.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'll be the judge of that for other people, right?

Not hard to figure out....... How many times you been convicted of a crime, failed a drug test, or where physically capable of getting a job and didn't have one and didn't bother looking?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. The right-wing mindset is really something to behold.

So not wanting the system abused is only a right-wing mindset? And are you then left-wing and OK with abuse?

All excuses for not holding people accountable.........................You dont want Ramen get a better job

I don't think we need to end all assistance I think we need to end all assistance for luxury items. You shouldn't have sushi buyers float to the top of the bowl because they shouldn't even be able to swipe the card for sushi in the first place. Few clicks of a mouse and removing luxury items is not to hard and keeps people from getting pissed over the abuse. Thats our money the bowl floaters are spending

Hard for me to disagree with the above.

Incapable? Like if you're disabled?

Are you simply baiting, or do your really think the majority of people on food stamps are disabled?

You'll be the judge of that for other people, right?

Do you think Big Don, or yourself, or most people are incapable of determining when people have accepted welfare as a way of life, rather than a safety net until they can get themselves out of poverty? Could you not see signs such as never seriously looking for a job, or preferring procreating over working as reasons for believing a person prefers welfare over working? There are other things I think you might use to judge people's intentions. Would there be any mistakes? Probably, but when people use proper common sense to make judgements, they should be rare, and could be handled by an appeal process.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welfare is always going to be subject to abuse by a minority of recipients. If you don't like that, then spend a few dollars to find them and prosecute them.

It is probably far more productive to pay the welfare and use the resources to recover the money from those who are running huge and profitable businesses and actively cheating the tax system.
:asian:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But I do love the reasoning behind ballen's argument:

If you don't like being poor, don't be....
marvelous!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But I do love the reasoning behind ballen's argument:

If you don't like being poor, don't be....
marvelous!

Not hard to earn enough to buy your own sushi and lobster. Its not hard to earn enough to take care of yourself without help from the Govt. Im nothing special and Ive done it just like millions and millions of others.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Incapable, as in lacking the, for lack of a better word, gumption, to get your crap together.

I think that attitudes like this, that look fine at face value are totally counterproductive in a place like the US where there is massive unemployment and genuine hardship.

Not hard to earn enough to buy your own sushi and lobster. Its not hard to earn enough to take care of yourself without help from the Govt. Im nothing special and Ive done it just like millions and millions of others.
Unfortunately millions of people can't get work and in many cases have a family. It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out what comes next. Desperate people will do desperate things. The US houses a massive social divide and it is getting worse. The rich are getting richer and the poor really can't get much poorer, just more of them. So you do something to help people with social security or you build more prisons. Bitching over a few people abusing food stamps really is a nonsense.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

pardon me for saying this:
But you are smarter than to fall for this ONE article.

Not everybody buys lobster. I don't even think the store here carries it!

Some people are just poor.
some areas are poor

What do you tell a person who got laid off when the place of employment closed who has applied to anything under the sun but had not been called back?
Get a job?

Gosh, I know you can be a jerk some times, but I didn't think it was that far reaching! :lol:

Get a better job when bad ones are not open?

Unhook your panties from lobster boy!
He is not the average poor person! The article - and I have to say it did it's job - was meant to inflame the discussion!

I know the people you meet are about at 90% pond scum.
But the people I meet are not. They are just poor. And no, they are not milking the system. They play it honest - and get screwed......

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It worked for Oprah... She didn't like being poor, busted her *** and is the richest black woman ever...

I just love that there was a bleeding heart liberal perfect for this example...

:lfao:
and it worked for elder as well, I hear.

one in a million....tough luck when you are not that one....eat dirt and like it?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately millions of people can't get work and in many cases have a family. It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out what comes next. Desperate people will do desperate things. The US houses a massive social divide and it is getting worse. The rich are getting richer and the poor really can't get much poorer, just more of them. So you do something to help people with social security or you build more prisons. Bitching over a few people abusing food stamps really is a nonsense.
BS
Every paper in this country has a help wanted section with jobs in them. If yours doesn't then move to a place that does. Boils down to be an adult and do what ever you need to do to provide for your family.
And dont give me the rich getting rich and poor nonsense our poor are better off then most rich anywhere else in the world. It isnt hard to make a comfortable life here nobody says you will be rich but you can be comfortable if you want to work for it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
pardon me for saying this:
But you are smarter than to fall for this ONE article.

Not everybody buys lobster. I don't even think the store here carries it!
Like I said its not just one. Ive seen the abuse of the system first hand. Hell Ive seen my own sister abuse the system and think its funny
Some people are just poor.
some areas are poor
And? Everyone cant be rich. Im not but I work hard and make it like most people. I dont have extra money to give away to the "poor" to buy luxury items I dont even buy
What do you tell a person who got laid off when the place of employment closed who has applied to anything under the sun but had not been called back?
Get a job?
I hand them a paper and say here is the help wanted section. I help them look for a job. Unlike some that cry about the poor and do nothin, I have actually help people find work. Hell right now I volunteer at the high school at night helping people with interview skills and resume writing. Oct 11 I start a once a month program at the high school again to teach students about the same things.
Gosh, I know you can be a jerk some times, but I didn't think it was that far reaching! :lol:
Your not a jerk your just naive about our real "poor" in this country. I dont mean that in a bad way but unless your actually in these neighborhood and see what really goes on you have no idea.
Get a better job when bad ones are not open?
Where do you live I bet there is a paper with a help wanted section in it right now
Unhook your panties from lobster boy!
Why? Its my money hes wasting why should I not be pissed?
He is not the average poor person! The article - and I have to say it did it's job - was meant to inflame the discussion!
at least its finally being talked about
I know the people you meet are about at 90% pond scum.
But the people I meet are not. They are just poor. And no, they are not milking the system. They play it honest - and get screwed......
they get screwed huh ok sounds like excuses to me and you know what they say about excuses

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BS
Every paper in this country has a help wanted section with jobs in them. If yours doesn't then move to a place that does. Boils down to be an adult and do what ever you need to do to provide for your family.
And dont give me the rich getting rich and poor nonsense our poor are better off then most rich anywhere else in the world. It isnt hard to make a comfortable life here nobody says you will be rich but you can be comfortable if you want to work for it.
Great attitude! But, unfortunately what I have written is not BS.

Your jails are full of poor people. The US has more people in jail than most of Europe combined. Why would that be the case? I'll give you a bit of a clue. It's not drugs.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great attitude! But, unfortunately what I have written is not BS.

Your jails are full of poor people. The US has more people in jail than most of Europe combined. Why would that be the case? I'll give you a bit of a clue. It's not drugs.
our jails are full of criminals. You know how I know? Because I put a bunch of them there.

Latest Discussions