Is that like 'let them eat cake'?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/opinion/krugman-free-to-be-hungry.html?hp&_r=2&

The evidence is now overwhelming that spending cuts in a depressed economy deepen the slump, yet government spending has been falling anyway.

I am sure the economists could explain that if anybody cared to listen....

But, say the usual suspects, the recession ended in 2009. Why hasn’t recovery brought the SNAP rolls down? The answer is, while the recession did indeed officially end in 2009, what we’ve had since then is a recovery of, by and for a small number of people at the top of the income distribution, with none of the gains trickling down to the less fortunate. Adjusted for inflation, the income of the top 1 percent rose 31 percent from 2009 to 2012, but the real income of the bottom 40 percent actually fell 6 percent. Why should food stamp usage have gone down?

damn these people...they actually want to eat!

I have a suggestion:
Dear Congress,
Stick with a budget of $4.45 a day.
Only for a week.
Then we can talk about this some more.
How about it!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/opinion/krugman-free-to-be-hungry.html?hp&_r=2&

I am sure the economists could explain that if anybody cared to listen....

damn these people...they actually want to eat!

I have a suggestion:
Dear Congress,
Stick with a budget of $4.45 a day.
Only for a week.
Then we can talk about this some more.
How about it!

The 4.45 a day is the average for all. Many get much more then that and many get less due to earned income. The entire food stamp program is broken. People talk about healthcare system needing a major over haul. That's nothing compared to the abuse that the food stamp program has.
There is absolutely no reason someone should be able to buy half the food items that are allowed yo be bought on food stamps or here they are called independence cards which is funny by the way since they do the exact opposite of helping people become independent.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Case in point:

Meet Jason Greenslate, the poster boy for food stamp abuse.

Greenslate (pictured) is a 29-year-old San Diego surfer who was captured by Fox News in August going on a "food stamp binge," buying lobster and sushi with his EBT card. "All paid for by our wonderful tax dollars," he told the news channel, adding: "It's free food. It's awesome."
http://money.msn.com/now/post--how-a-sushi-eating-surfer-is-killing-food-stamps

Some of the numbers on SNAP:
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is now a $75 billion annual program, up from just $21.4 billion in 2003

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah how could we ever deny people sushi and lobster.

So when can we expect that number to come down

you know, it's better to eat that than the mac and cheese loaded with salt and cheap fat....

But it's not available to everybody....
back to mac and cheese....

But you missed the point entirely.

Aside from a few surfer bums milking the system, there are more people on there that need the assistance.

The system needs an overhaul, sure.
But there are too many people right now who don't have wiggle room. I know, it's their fault for losing their jobs, and owning houses not worth the mortgage, but still....

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you know, it's better to eat that than the mac over sitese loaded with salt and cheap fat....
How about fruits veggies basic meese? It shouldn't be luxury items your not paying for it the rest of America is so show some respect for our money. I see it all the time people buy soda, crab meat, steaks, shrimp. There is no reason that people should be spending money on that. You want to eat steak and shrimp or lobster go get a better job.
But it's not available to everybody....
back to mac and cheese....

But you missed the point entirely.

Aside from a few surfer bums milking the system, there are more people on there that need the assistance.

The system needs an overhaul, sure.
But there are too many people right now who don't have wiggle room. I know, it's their fault for losing their jobs, and owning houses not worth the mortgage, but still....
Its not a few surfer bums its everywhere. There was a rapper in the 90s that flaunted his welfare card he was a millionaire. I find independence cards on every drug dealer i meet they will have 6 grand in one pocket cash and a welfare card in the other

Im all for helping people that need help but damn it should be for basic healthy food items.

There is almost no over site. That goes for the stores that accept them as well. I know stores right not that will give people cash and make fake charges to their card.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about fruits veggies basic meese? It shouldn't be luxury items your not paying for it the rest of America is so show some respect for our money. I see it all the time people buy soda, crab meat, steaks, shrimp. There is no reason that people should be spending money on that. You want to eat steak and shrimp or lobster go get a better job.

Its not a few surfer bums its everywhere. There was a rapper in the 90s that flaunted his welfare card he was a millionaire. I find independence cards on every drug dealer i meet they will have 6 grand in one pocket cash and a welfare card in the other

Im all for helping people that need help but damn it should be for basic healthy food items.

There is almost no over site. That goes for the stores that accept them as well. I know stores right not that will give people cash and make fake charges to their card.

About 60% of the kids in our school system are on free/reduced lunches.
I am pretty sure that translates to EBT card...

And I see a lot of people buying crud with it.
It's food alright, but nothing you'd consider healthy after reading the labels.
Fruit?
oh hell, that's not cheap!

I am inclined to say that the majority of people are not carrier milkers.

Knew a lady, she had a job.
and three kids and a husband in jail....
She got docked 50 bucks one time, because she had a car at her disposal.....it was an old beater in her mother's name.
She lived in the boonies.
The alternative?
give up the car and go on full assistance....logic? And that was 20 years ago.

Just talked to somebody: lady got a divorce, has downgraded everything, had to make the choice of buying groceries or paying car insurance...not n stamps...

Just because the turds float to the top does not mean the whole reservoir is full of them.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
About 60% of the kids in our school system are on free/reduced lunches.
I am pretty sure that translates to EBT card...

And I see a lot of people buying crud with it.
It's food alright, but nothing you'd consider healthy after reading the labels.
Fruit?
oh hell, that's not cheap!
I'd rather see my money go for heathy food its cheaper fruit is cheaper then sushi lobster steak crab meat
I am inclined to say that the majority of people are not carrier milkers.

Knew a lady, she had a job.
and three kids and a husband in jail....
She got docked 50 bucks one time, because she had a car at her disposal.....it was an old beater in her mother's name.
She lived in the boonies.
The alternative?
give up the car and go on full assistance....logic? And that was 20 years ago.

Just talked to somebody: lady got a divorce, has downgraded everything, had to make the choice of buying groceries or paying car insurance...not n stamps...

Just because the turds float to the top does not mean the whole reservoir is full of them.
Didn't say it was full but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at and over hauled

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

As you always buy? I feel there's an aspect of 'shaming the poor' to your comments.

There is almost no over site. That goes for the stores that accept them as well.

Oversight is an expense--it has to eliminate a lot of fraud to pay for itself. So while I agree in principle, there's a 'sweet spot' for oversight where you're actually saving money.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd rather see my money go for heathy food its cheaper fruit is cheaper then sushi lobster steak crab meat

Didn't say it was full but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at and over hauled

The lobster sushi guy is the exception.
And don't kid yourself, fruit isn't cheap.
Not healthy fruit anyhow.

The processed to death food is cheap.
and not healthy.

Yes, people should get help to buy healthy food, but the majority has no concept anymore of what is healthy, nor can they prepare a meal with real - healthy - food.

I cringe when I see the belt loaded with name brand junkfood, then seeing the customers whipping out their WIC checks or EBT cards.
But do thy have to forego all creature comforts, because they are not independently poor?

Also: We tend to see the holes in a news story we disagree with, I am sure the lobster guy is not eating only sushi, three meals a day. 'journalism' sadly works that way....being really suckish these days.
I know I tend to point out that 'but the article said so' because I liked the message....knowing good and well that the same article is probably as bad as the one I picked apart just a few moments earlier.

All government systems need to be looked after on a regular basis.

But the tip of the iceberg, the floating turds not withstanding, I believe the system works for most parts and is not abused.

not to mention, government likes to give with one hand, taking away with the other:
A friend of mine hit rock bottom. it's a long, complicated story, divorce and crooked legal system involved, in any case, she applied for stamps and got them.
Once Social security set in, they cut her stamps...sometimes you can't win for losing!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As you always buy? I feel there's an aspect of 'shaming the poor' to your comments.
And? your living off someone else dime you should feel shame. You shouldnt be eating anyhting you want you should be eating bare min heathy foods. Not crabs Lobster steak sushi ect
They put signs up at all parks "dont feed the animals they will become dependent on others for food an will stop looking for food on their own" Same applies here why should anyone work harder or try to get out of poverty when they get whatever they want handed to them.

Oversight is an expense--it has to eliminate a lot of fraud to pay for itself. So while I agree in principle, there's a 'sweet spot' for oversight where you're actually saving money.

Or change the program to not allow certain food items to be bought. Save money that way. Instead of buying 1 pack of steaks for $20. for one meal force them to buy chicken thats cheaper and can get 2 or 3 meals from.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And? your living off someone else dime you should feel shame. You shouldnt be eating anyhting you want you should be eating bare min heathy foods. Not crabs Lobster steak sushi ect
They put signs up at all parks "dont feed the animals they will become dependent on others for food an will stop looking for food on their own" Same applies here

Wow. The right-wing mindset is really something to behold.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The lobster sushi guy is the exception.
And don't kid yourself, fruit isn't cheap.
Not healthy fruit anyhow.
Its not as rare an exception as you think. People are always buying crab meat and steaks, Take out food, here on the independence cards
The processed to death food is cheap.
and not healthy.
Healthy food that you actually have to cook yourself isnt that expensive just requires some actual "work" like cooking and cleaning.

Yes, people should get help to buy healthy food, but the majority has no concept anymore of what is healthy, nor can they prepare a meal with real - h
ealthy - food.
So make required nutrition classes as part of the requirements to get on the program, as well as drug and alcohol and tobacco testing.
I cringe when I see the belt loaded with name brand junkfood, then seeing the customers whipping out their WIC checks or EBT cards.
But do thy have to forego all creature comforts, because they are not independently poor?
Yes its not their money so yes they do need to "go without" the program isnt for creature comforts to to provide nutrition
Also: We tend to see the holes in a news story we disagree with, I am sure the lobster guy is not eating only sushi, three meals a day. 'journalism' sadly works that way....being really suckish these days.
I know I tend to point out that 'but the article said so' because I liked the message....knowing good and well that the same article is probably as bad as the one I picked apart just a few moments earlier.

All government systems need to be looked after on a regular basis.

But the tip of the iceberg, the floating turds not withstanding, I believe the system works for most parts and is not abused.
Its not just the article I see it first hand. I deal with the poor 90% of the time. Ive been in these peoples homes seen in their refrigerators, Ive dug through their trash, Ive searched their homes, hell Ive seen my own sister who live off the Govt scam the system and show up at my parents house for a cook out with a bag full of NY Strips and Potato Chips and brag that she used her welfare card.
not to mention, government likes to give with one hand, taking away with the other:
A friend of mine hit rock bottom. it's a long, complicated story, divorce and crooked legal system involved, in any case, she applied for stamps and got them.
Once Social security set in, they cut her stamps...sometimes you can't win for losing!
Poor thing maybe she could try getting a job like the rest of us and not blame a crooked legal system and the govt for cutting her assistance

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People should seek to be self sufficient. The purpose of services such as food stamps, welfare, etc is not to provide a lifestyle where you don't have to be responsible, but a temporary means of aid while you are in need, or have an emergency. People who willingly choose to remain dependant rather than seek a legal means of self sufficiency are the ones who should be shamed. Because I am constantly misunderstood, let me be clear that I am NOT talking about those with legitimate situations that prevent them from doing so. I am referring to those who could seek improvement, but will not because of some feeling of entitlement.
If that's not clear enough for the people, then they need to get a clue.

Latest Discussions