Is that like 'let them eat cake'?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mind you, if you violate the law, especially if you are involved in the justice system and you misuse your power, I am all for seeing you outed, taken to court, and if there is sufficient evidence, convicted and sent to prison yourself.

I don't disagree but the US prison system is the real growth industry of the past 30 or 40 years. Why do you think this has occurred?

But surely you can find a better quote than a one sided, self serving rant by a former prisoner.

Emphasis above mine.
Well, firstly he does quote his sources:
Sources: New Times, New York Times, Richmond Times Dispatch, Washington Post, Dallas Morning News, National Law Journal, Washington Times, Baltimore Sun, Palm Beach Post, Charleston Gazette, San Francisco Chronicle, St.Petersburg Times, St. Louis Post Dispatch, Newsday, Los Angeles Times, Rolling Stone, FAMM-Gram, Atlanta Journal Constitution, North Coast Xpress, New Yorker, Seattle Times.
and you haven't shown any of his research to be flawed or fabricated.

Also, I did quote figures from another paper that backs up this article.
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/...edom/statistics-on-prisoner-population-rates/

But, do you really believe that someone who is or has been a prisoner cannot do research? There are lots of prisoners who have completed University degrees or doctorates from jail. Some prisoners have quite a bit of spare time. ;)

And of course other long serving prisoners include a chap called Nelson Mandela, a lady called Aung San Suu Kyi and a little guy called Mahatma Gandhi. I don't think terms of imprisonment impaired their credibility or intellect.

Nothing to do with this thread, but if you have a few spare minutes check out Paul Wright. He is an interesting character. One interview;
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/1_displayNews.aspx
:asian:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, firstly he does quote his sources:

and you haven't shown any of his research to be flawed or fabricated.

Also, I did quote figures from another paper that backs up this article.
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/...edom/statistics-on-prisoner-population-rates/

But, do you really believe that someone who is or has been a prisoner cannot do research? There are lots of prisoners who have completed University degrees or doctorates from jail. Some prisoners have quite a bit of spare time. ;)

And of course other long serving prisoners include a chap called Nelson Mandela, a lady called Aung San Suu Kyi and a little guy called Mahatma Gandhi. I don't think terms of imprisonment impaired their credibility or intellect.

Nothing to do with this thread, but if you have a few spare minutes check out Paul Wright. He is an interesting character. One interview;
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/1_displayNews.aspx

I really must apologize. I didn't realize Paul Wright was in a league with Mahatma Gandhi, and Aung San Suu Kyi, or Nelson Mandela. [/SARCASM]

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Case in point:

Meet Jason Greenslate, the poster boy for food stamp abuse.

Greenslate (pictured) is a 29-year-old San Diego surfer who was captured by Fox News in August going on a "food stamp binge," buying lobster and sushi with his EBT card. "All paid for by our wonderful tax dollars," he told the news channel, adding: "It's free food. It's awesome."
http://money.msn.com/now/post--how-a-sushi-eating-surfer-is-killing-food-stamps

Some of the numbers on SNAP:
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is now a $75 billion annual program, up from just $21.4 billion in 2003

If somebody wants to waste their food stamps and eat great for 2 days and then live on ramen the rest of the month, that's their business, I guess? I understand why it's irritating, but most people are more responsible.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If somebody wants to waste their food stamps and eat great for 2 days and then live on ramen the rest of the month, that's their business, I guess? I understand why it's irritating, but most people are more responsible.

Its not their business its not his money its mine. It is my business. When your spending others money you need to be more responsible.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People should seek to be self sufficient. The purpose of services such as food stamps, welfare, etc is not to provide a lifestyle where you don't have to be responsible, but a temporary means of aid while you are in need, or have an emergency. People who willingly choose to remain dependant rather than seek a legal means of self sufficiency are the ones who should be shamed. Because I am constantly misunderstood, let me be clear that I am NOT talking about those with legitimate situations that prevent them from doing so. I am referring to those who could seek improvement, but will not because of some feeling of entitlement.
If that's not clear enough for the people, then they need to get a clue.

I've never been on food stamps, but I've known quite a few people that have, and almost all of them worked. The problem is, you can't support a family working as a cashier at Walmart or a hairdresser at Supercuts or whatever. These people work hard, often two working parents with two, three or four jobs between them, but still need food stamps to feed their kids, because their employer does not pay them well enough for them to be self-sufficient.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BS
Every paper in this country has a help wanted section with jobs in them.

Sure. There are twenty ads, and twenty thousand people looking at them.

And dont give me the rich getting rich and poor nonsense our poor are better off then most rich anywhere else in the world.

Nope. Rich people in, say, poor African countries still live in mansions and drive Ferraris and eat steaks.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never been on food stamps, but I've known quite a few people that have, and almost all of them worked. The problem is, you can't support a family working as a cashier at Walmart or a hairdresser at Supercuts or whatever. These people work hard, often two working parents with two, three or four jobs between them, but still need food stamps to feed their kids, because their employer does not pay them well enough for them to be self-sufficient.

Not the people I have contempt for. I have nothing but respect for the people who are hard working, busting their butts to make things work.

Only thing I would say though is, it's not the employers job to pay them a self sufficiency wage. Employers job is to pay a fair wage for the work required. That's often sadly not enough to get by on by itself. Which is in part why I run 2 businesses with multiple income streams myself.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure. There are twenty ads, and twenty thousand people looking at them.
Bs there are 1000s if not 10000s of jobs just in my area. If there are none in your area and you need one then be a responsible adult and move. Don't just live off the tax payer and make excuses.
Nope. Rich people in, say, poor African countries still live in mansions and drive Ferraris and eat steaks.
Has nothing to do with our poor living better then most of the rich in the rest of the world didn't say better then all rich people but our average "poor" person living in Govt housing has heat, AC, dish washer, cell phone, cable tv , internet, ect ect ect

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many had cell phone more then one car cable TV ?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never been on food stamps, but I've known quite a few people that have, and almost all of them worked. The problem is, you can't support a family working as a cashier at Walmart
Really? I worked for Walmart for 3 years, I'm a single parent, never been on any form of welfare. Even managed to go out to eat once a week. F me, I didn't know I couldn't do that...
Yeah, I paid for 3 cell phones, DirecTV, and karate class... without floating on credit cards...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? I worked for Walmart for 3 years, I'm a single parent, never been on any form of welfare. Even managed to go out to eat once a week. F me, I didn't know I couldn't do that...
Yeah, I paid for 3 cell phones, DirecTV, and karate class... without floating on credit cards...
Impossible I've been told several times people can't live off working at Walmart. That's why we must vilify Walmart force them to unionize

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Impossible I've been told several times people can't live off working at Walmart. That's why we must vilify Walmart force them to unionize
Is it possible there is a better way?

Walmart Pays Workers Poorly And Sinks While Costco Pays Workers Well And Sails-Proof That You Get What You Pay For
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...nd-sails-proof-that-you-get-what-you-pay-for/

A few years back we visited LA and had a meal at an Indian restaurant. I think the staff were relying on tips to make their money. The service was the worst I have seen anywhere in the world, the food was less than ordinary and when the bill came I paid the bill but refused to leave a tip. The staff were really upset and actually became abusive. Perhaps if they had been paid properly in the first place they may have had some pride in their performance.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it possible there is a better way?

A few years back we visited LA and had a meal at an Indian restaurant. I think the staff were relying on tips to make their money. The service was the worst I have seen anywhere in the world, the food was less than ordinary and when the bill came I paid the bill but refused to leave a tip. The staff were really upset and actually became abusive. Perhaps if they had been paid properly in the first place they may have had some pride in their performance.

That's actually how most restaurants in the US work. The wait staff gets a very small hourly rate like 2 to 3 bucks an hour and rely on tips to make up the difference. That's why I'm a big tipper. I generally will tip 30 to 40% for a regular meal if its great service I've tipped Much more.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, well well! Those sneaky Brits ... :p

Welfare claimants will have to work for the dole by cooking meals for the elderly, picking up litter and cleaning up graffiti.
Tens of thousands of long-term jobless welfare claimants in Britain will have to work for 30 hours a week doing community service or lose their unemployment benefits.
The announcement, at Monday's Conservative Party conference, is the latest toughening of the coalition's welfare rules and a key part of the party's pitch to voters at the next general election.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...ti-and-cook-to-claim-dole-20130930-2uog0.html

Latest Discussions