Is Skynet One Step Closer?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everytime I think we're going to be safe from having to rely upon machines to do all the work for us, I see something and the theme from Terminator plays in my head as I read the article.

MoD unveils unmanned fighter jet 'of the future' http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100713/wl_uk_afp/britaindefenceweapons_20100713094446
Tue Jul 13, 5:39 am ET LONDON
(AFP) – An unmanned jet capable of striking long-range targets has been dubbed the "combat aircraft of the future" by the Ministry of Defence. The Taranis -- named after the Celtic god of thunder -- was unveiled at a ceremony at BAE Systems in Warton, Lancashire, on Monday. The £142.5 million prototype is the size of a light aircraft and has been equipped with stealth technology to make it virtually undetectable. In a press release, the MoD described the Taranis as "a prototype unmanned combat aircraft of the future." It is built to carry out intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions while its crew stays safely on the ground and can control the aircraft from anywhere in the world. The unmanned fighter jet can also carry bombs and missiles and, if the trials prove successful, the MoD said it should "ultimately be capable of striking targets at long range, even in another continent." The current generation of propeller-driven drones -- such as the Predator and Reaper -- are capable of carrying missiles, but these unmanned planes can only be used in areas where the military has air dominance, such as Iraq and Afghanistan. The first flight trials are due to start next year.

Attachments

• $SKYNET 01.jpg
    $SKYNET 01.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
There seems to be a subtle theme of paranoia on the forum in the past few weeks.

As long as the robot understands Asimov's rules of robotics we will be fine.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There seems to be a subtle theme of paranoia on the forum in the past few weeks.

Twice!!! You posted this twice!!! It must mean something!! What aren't you telling us???!! What????

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Gonna be hard to do when daddy is a military aircraft.

And that picture reminds me much more of the Cylon Raider from the (good) Battlestar Galactica series.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Gonna be hard to do when daddy is a military aircraft.

Exactly. When it's programmed to kill humans. How sure are they that it can distinguish friendlies from the enemy?

2001: A Space Odyssey
Colossus The Forbin Project
Demon Seed
War Games
Terminator
The Matrix
I-Robot
Stealth
Eagle Eye
and others...

Are these films becoming prophetic?
Is it paranoia? I dunno. All I know is what I see.
We are putting far too much trust into these things. I doubt that they will get to the level of Colossus, WOPR, Skynet, Vikki, EDI, or Ariia but (again) viruses, malicious programming, et al.

Lord knows if we have adequate fail-safe contingency plans.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of when they started replacing some of the subways with unmanned trains. People complained but there has not been an incident and they are always on time.

Stuff like this does not worry me at all really. Sure, runnaway robot fantsies are the stuff of fun blockbusters and cool books, but it won't ever get to that crazy skynet stage. Besides, some loudmouth busybody is gonna raise bloody hell about this and our human pilots will back in danger ... or well they alwyas were.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ummm, did I miss something?? How is this different from any other UAV?

you guys do realize that it is still piloted, right?? It doesn't fly itself or have a brain or artificial intelligence and there are thousands of unmanned aircraft flying around RIGHT NOW. But unmanned doesn't mean unpiloted. The pilot just isn't in there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Only if it was made by a large computer with no human intervention or if the unmanned jet made it all by itself...then I would be a bit more concerned.... as for now it is still a remote operated unmanned drone... at this point I would be more concerned about the human operator

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only if it was made by a large computer with no human intervention or if the unmanned jet made it all by itself...then I would be a bit more concerned.... as for now it is still a remote operated unmanned drone... at this point I would be more concerned about the human operator
Give it time.