Is Reputation Anonymous?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Andrew,

I have to say that you are mistaken regarding people who are in the red not being able to give good advice.
I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of Andrew Green's post. He said
Those in the red cannot influence anyone, so people that would do that should hopefully not be able to do much.
which makes no reference to these people's ability to give useful advice, rather, he is referencing their ability to influence others' reputation. For example, right now, you cannot influence my reputation either positively or negatively, because your rep-count is negative. The amount you CAN influence others' reputation is determined by how much positive reputation you have, how long you've been a member, and how many posts you have.

If you dislike the feature, you may disable it in your User CP. Some have done this already.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People that do not like the reputation system can disable it. it is very simple to do. Just go tot the User CP area, and click teh appropriate link.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Small correction: Supporting members can disable it. Regular members can not.

Some of the folks with lots o red-dots can be PITA's. Sometimes it's just how they express opinions that get them dinged. Othertimes, it's petty BS, or politics, or scab picking.

One thing to remember is that all forum rules do apply in the rep system. You can't call someone a "pus-brained festering gobhole" (or the equivilent) on the forums, and you can't do that there either. If someone does, let an Admin know and we will take care of the situation.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As stated, I think it is more likely that you get dinged for HOW you express something rather then WHAT you are expressing.

I've blatently disagreed with people and then gotten positive checks from them for it.

As for conformity, see my sig line :D

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I like/hate is that sometimes when old threads you got +/- rep-points get resurrected you get hit all over again by new people.....The gift that keeps giving/taking.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Well thanks for the imput, I have not given anyone a good or a bad, I might send a PM or not, it would depend on the post.

We are working on human nature and unfortunatly, those that will say you are a ------ on a post and everyone who then reads it is much more honest then the one who writes you and calls you names that can not be said on the posts.

Just my thoughts, it is not a biggie, Thanks for the input, again. Regards,:idunno: Gary

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to be able to archive my rep points (if possible) because I've been pleased with the little notes that go along side of it. Is there a way to configure my User CP to show all of them.
I kin unnerstand how it would take up a lot of space like for those who have a lot of them (Kaith and Tess come to mind), but I'd like to be able to reference them just the same.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be really good if we could do that, I only figured out recently were they where, thanks to PPKO, so I dont know who gave me my first few points!

MACaver said:
Well, I'd like to be able to archive my rep points (if possible) because I've been pleased with the little notes that go along side of it. Is there a way to configure my User CP to show all of them.
I kin unnerstand how it would take up a lot of space like for those who have a lot of them (Kaith and Tess come to mind), but I'd like to be able to reference them just the same.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems that some negative rep points were given to me for reasons that are not explainable. It appears that it's simply because someone may not approve of my sensei. They left negative rep but no name or even a post. Simply left it blank. One moderator left negative rep and post that was flat out rude and confrontational. Kinda sucks. Like someone didn't like something I said but when I went back to the post they reference, it makes absolutely no sense to me - especially when they left no repuation post. just a negative rep. Weird. Is there anyway to get some of those deleted?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you believe someone is abusing the system, send an email to [email protected] and politely state your concern.
Include your username, the date of the offensive 'rep' and the comment made.

We will investigate and take action if needed.

We don't require reasons when they use the rep system, however if we do insist that the coments made conform to our posted rules.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
Yeah, it seems that some negative rep points were given to me for reasons that are not explainable. It appears that it's simply because someone may not approve of my sensei.
Funny. I had the exact same thing happen because I study with the Bujinkan.

gmunoz said:
One moderator left negative rep and post that was flat out rude and confrontational. Kinda sucks. Like someone didn't like something I said but when I went back to the post they reference, it makes absolutely no sense to me - especially when they left no repuation post. just a negative rep. Weird. Is there anyway to get some of those deleted?
Weird. I thought reputation was Anonymous. How do you know who is leaving you rep points if they leave no Rep Post?

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The moderator that put the negative post actually put their name to make sure I knew who was, IMO, being rude.But some didn't post. and the post they referenced saying they disagreed with really made no sense. I hadn't even objected to anyone or disagreed with anything in the post they disagreed with. Oh well.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is the case that you know who gave you the negative rep, why not send them a PM asking them what the issue was? I'm certain that if they felt strongly enough to neg-rep you, they won't mind explaining their reasoning.

Just be sure to include a link to the post in question so that they know which one you are talking about.

Sometimes a little communication can go a long way.

Latest Discussions