Is Reputation Anonymous?

E

Emptyglass

Hi all:

I think I've made my feelings on the value of the reputation stat well known. However, I have a question about it which I am not sure has been answered. If it has, please let me know and point me at the proper thread.

Is reputation anonymous for all users or just some of them? It is for me if someone does not sign their name to it, but I have reason to believe that it is not anonymous for all users. Can Admins, Asst. Admins, Moderators and so forth see who is sending them reputation while other users cannot?

Thanks,

Rich Curren

OP
E

Emptyglass

Bob:

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Rich Curren

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What reason would there be to set something up to be anonymous, and then tell people?

As we have stated previously, no.

If we are however informed of someone abusing the system, we will investigate and take the appropriate action. That action being anything from nothing, to a warning, to removal of the 'rep points' to suspension or banning.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
What reason would there be to set something up to be anonymous, and then tell people?

As we have stated previously, no.

If we are however informed of someone abusing the system, we will investigate and take the appropriate action. That action being anything from nothing, to a warning, to removal of the 'rep points' to suspension or banning.
So is this ability to see who gave rep a by product of being admin/mod/advisor or does it have a functional purpose? It seems kind of useless as an ability if someone is only sending rep to an admin/mod/advisor as 'just another member' but and admin can use that priviledge for personal agendas.

I could see having admin ability to back track rep points but what administrative purpose/job description function does being able to see who is giving you personal rep points? I can see it as a defensive tool on a personal level, but then why wouldn't we all be able to then?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
It seems kind of useless as an ability if someone is only sending rep to an admin/mod/advisor as 'just another member' but and admin can use that priviledge for personal agendas.
Hmm.... Are you of the opinion that some of the people who hold those positions are engaged in abusing their power as admins/mods/advisors?

Your statement would hold water, but...I really don't see that happening here. It's one of the reasons I stay.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have looked through the reputation database and found little to suggest any staff members are abusing the system.

Well, thats not totally true.

We have gone through various threads and given extra positives to encourage folks.
We have given extra positives to offset a few negatives here and there.
We have on request -removed- offensive rep-statements, and warned the senders.

Having looked back through what was sent to me by various individuals I can see several 'in-spite' dings.

I am contemplating some minor changes to the system. One of those would include resetting the system and everyone back to zero. It also includes allowing supporting members the ability to see who sent it. "Wait, I have to pay to see that? Thats not fair!". Nope, neither is life. This isn't a democracy, it's not even a republic. Its a monarchy with advisors that has operational expenses that strives to be the best destination for martial artists online.

Another possible feature is the ability to 'hide' your reputation. Personally, I think it should be public. I also think folks should fill out more of their profiles beyond the name/location bit we do require privately.

Again, things being considered, nothing is changed yet, nor set in stone. Many things are being discussed at the moment, and will continue for at least another week.

I'm a bit busy finishing up preparations for a sci-fi con that will have 10-20 of my art pieces on display. Once I'm back, I've got a week-10 days before the Buffalo MT camp to do the tweaks I have planned for MT this quarter, and maybe get the summer edition of the E-Zine out as well. :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I am contemplating some minor changes to the system. One of those would include resetting the system and everyone back to zero. It also includes allowing supporting members the ability to see who sent it.

Again, things being considered, nothing is changed yet, nor set in stone. Many things are being discussed at the moment, and will continue for at least another week.

:)
Are you accepting input on any of these potential changes from supporting members?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hmm.... Are you of the opinion that some of the people who hold those positions are engaged in abusing their power as admins/mods/advisors?

Your statement would hold water, but...I really don't see that happening here. It's one of the reasons I stay.
I could make that statement but, more to the point, honestly after looking at all the work it creates for the mods/admins who are working on a voluntary basis I say just get rid of it all together. No matter how 'fairly' it is set up, it will be a point of contention and create some 'have/have not' perceptions.

One of the general responses that keeps coming up is "it is only the internet" or "it doesn't really mean anything" ....well to some members it does mean something and causes some stress. I think it is funny myself. I pay attention to it because, as I have said, how people use/abuse such things on the internet can be very telling about them as people in general. So, admin or member, if it is just another point of stress and contraversy get rid of it to lighten the load by eliminating one more thing for people to argue over that has NOTHING to do with topics and boils down to 'good old boy'ism.

Just loose it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Are you accepting input on any of these potential changes from supporting members?
Yup. Constructive feedback's always appreciated. :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I must say that I see value in the system, particularly from the perspective of visitors and new members of the board. It may be difficult to remember for some of the seasoned veterans here, but when you are unsure of who to trust, I believe the reputation score is a reasonable metric by which to form initial judgement.

I think it's fair to say that everybody on this board with an extremely positive reputation could be said to have previously demonstrated advanced knowledge in their respective arts, resourcefulness, honour, good humour, and decorum. This becomes clear to anyone who critically reads through historical threads.

In that context, I do not forsee any potential value in undoing what has been done. Without naming any names, I can honestly declare that to relegate some of the people on this board to being "eqully reputable" would be a travesty, and a disservice to their respective histories here.

Beyond that, though, should the Administration of this fine site see fit to 'fix' some portion of the histories here, as long as it's done fairly, as I have no doubt it would be, that would certainly be appropriate. I'm sure there are many, many things that have happenned here of which many of us are not privy to.

I ended that sentence in a preposition, because it didn't read well any other way.

Thank you for allowing me to contribute.

Dan Bowman.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My only criticism of the system is the disproportionate changes some people can do over others. Upset the wrong people with the most clout and down you go. IMHO if you are going to keep the system it should be a "one man one vote" setup. Why should one "powerful" person who dosent like a post have more influence over 10 peons who agree with it?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why should someone who just signed up, and is only going to stick around for a week or 2 to help out their pals get equal treatment to someone whose been here 3 years through the good and the bad?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Why should someone who just signed up, and is only going to stick around for a week or 2 to help out their pals get equal treatment to someone whose been here 3 years through the good and the bad?
Yeah, thats a good point. Theres also nothing stopping somone from cycling rep points through 10 of their friends over and over again. Or keeping somebody from posting thousands of 1-5 word useless posts to jack up their rank. Theres always ways to tamper with a system. Im not complaining about the system either as I dont feel this "extra stuff" is as important as the ideas exchanged here. I also am not demanding anything just expressing my opinion.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, now that I have had some time to reflect on it, I think Reputation SHOULD remain anonymous. It is just a serious way to start flame wars and keep old battles raging.

I would not reset the counters or mess with it in any way ... unless you are getting rid of it comletely. If someone has the time and energy to cycle through and give their friends Pos rep or not so friends Neg rep; then let them have at it. It is not really relevant insofar as credibility is concerned, except to some of the newbies.

-Michael

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...It seems to me that reputation points are a bit like the belt ranking system...it really shouldn't matter :rolleyes: but when you read this thread, it seems that to some people it really does! I think this is very real for some, and maybe should be rethought a bit because of that. I also do kind of think that in most cases it is a bit cowardly to leave negative comments for someone without identifying yourself. It's like talking behind someone's back where they can't see you, but loud enough so they can hear.

I just think the positive approach is always preferred. For people who take this all very seriously I think negative rep points are doubly hurtful. If reputation on this forum matters to someone a lot the comments alone may be taken as personally hurtful and then on top of that losing points creates further hurt.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the anonymous negative messages are, but while cowardly, if it is to promote free speech, why not allow positive rep points but also anonymous negative comments that can send a message, but don't affect a person's rep. This way people would hear from the anonymous party but not have to "pay" for it. Maybe even the flip side would be less hurtful take away rep points but don't allow unkind messages to accompany it. One of the negative comments that was shared here was really unkind and might be upsetting to anyone. I just don't see what purpose it serves. Knock someone down enough times and they may not get back up, and lose interest in being here - and I doubt this is a conscious part of the plan. :idunno:

Just my thoughts...:)

Latest Discussions