Is Reputation Anonymous?

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kaith:

What's the difference between a dark green square nxt to a comment vs a light green..is it influence points based on their own rep point tally???

btw : on "only hoping to improve".... got it in one, and wear it gladly ;)

BL

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You call it sarcastic and rude, I call it truthfully frank and innocent ( as opposed to peeing in your pocket) . How do you expect me to react ????? Cry??? :rolleyes: So ppl disagree......I think it's healthy.

cheers

btw : if you think you're beyond improvement, I think you're beyond help......... for now.......... I was being sincere ;)

and further to quote 7starmantis " your opinion of my is none of my business".

Ppl'll just think what they like............

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
You call it sarcastic and rude, I call it truthfully frank and innocent ( as opposed to peeing in your pocket) . How do you expect me to react ????? Cry??? :rolleyes: So ppl disagree......I think it's healthy.

cheers

btw : if you think you're beyond improvement, I think you're beyond help......... for now.......... I was being sincere ;)

and further to quote 7starmantis " your opinion of my is none of my business".

Ppl'll just think what they like............
Blooming Lotus, if you are displeased with the reputation system, you may be interested to note that supporting members are able to disable their reputation.

Otherwise, perhaps airing out or otherwise making public your reputation issues isn't really appropriate. If you feel that somebody is abusing the reputation system, please PM a Supermod or Seig, and they will look into that for you. :asian:

OP
P

pakua

I've had 5 reputation messages. Three were positive, and the senders gave their names. Two were negative and anonymous. That tells you something methinks.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
pakua said:
I've had 5 reputation messages. Three were positive, and the senders gave their names. Two were negative and anonymous. That tells you something methinks.
Ya, it does. They can't tell you exactly why they didn't like your post nor at least identify themselves. As if you're going to retaliate or something stupid like that. I just gotten my first neg rep point myself and like you no comment as to WHY (at least that much eh?) nor identification. :idunno: I kinda sorta know why but I'd like to know if I'm in tuned with it. Doesn't matter though either way. It's not worth making an issue out of it.

OP
P

pakua

MACaver said:
They can't tell you exactly why they didn't like your post nor at least identify themselves.

No they said why, just not who

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The reputation system is a neat novelty but I don't put much stock into it. I only takes one misinterpreted statement and everyone is dinging you, usually with out giving a reason or there name. I could care less if in giving the truth I upset a couple people, I am not going to change my stance on an issue just to go with the popular vote. There have been many times when I disagree with a person, and gave them a positive rep point because they were articulate, and polite, and presented their case with logic and thought not brash statements, name calling, and the popular "so and So said it was this way"

I check my rep point when I get bored, and usually geta kick out of what I see.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen this system on only a few other boards and I'm doubtful about how useful it is. The ability to leave comments here is nice and something I don't remember seeing on other boards. But it's usually too easy to alter someone's total, especially when it's low (either positive or negative). And depending on exactly how you're allowed to give/take points, it's possible for one person holding a grudge to knock you down a lot. Or similarly, someone could build you up, but I imagine that doesn't happen as often. It's optional, of course, so there's no guarantee that any particular post of yours will be scored or by how many people. So it's a very variable system. It's certainly not all bad, points with comments can be nice feedback, but in general I think it's best viewed as a fun extra. Don't get upset if your score is really low or go changing your views and posting style in an attempt to get more points. I think after a while people will be able to tell how useful your posts are regardless of what your reputation score is.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's all fun and games and as long as those comments can't get us banned, go ahead and play and just get it off your chest !! Have you heard the one about Peter and Paul............. or the one about the ignore feature?????

it ( having low points ) can't really get us banned right?????:idunno:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only if you have more red dots than I have green dots. ;)

(Thats a joke)

:)

OP
O

OC Kid

I really wish the person would have to have their name with their comments. It would stop some folks from being so insulting. Its easy when the person your insulting doent know who you are.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the comments made are in violation of our standard rules, please let us know. We will investigate them upon request.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
It is how your peers rate your posts. There are good points and bad points. See earlier in the thread to see who can give them and how often. It depends on post count, and your own reputation.

-Michael
Michael,

What I have found: Persons giving out red, been moderators and administrators.

Some of the worst comments have come from them also, interesting.
When you get 20 at one time, it takes that someone special.

I have also found out the ones giving the green have been moderators and peers.

Regards, Gary

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary,

What I have found: Persons giving out red, been moderators and administrators.

Some of the worst comments have come from them also, interesting.
When you get 20 at one time, it takes that someone special.

I have also found out the ones giving the green have been moderators and peers.

Regards, Gary
Your statement above is just plain not true. I just reviewed your Rep Points since August. There are several from Mods or admins, but the majority of Rep points are not staff. I do see the good and bad from Admins and Mods, but also from other members. It is not out of proportion and I would not protect staff, but bring this up as an issue if it was true.

I do not have any more ability than you do to edit Rep points and give a number to the same individual without giving whatever my minimum number is to other members .... the same as everyone else. I do understand why you are unhappy with the points given, but you may have lost some of the historical perspective since only the most recent are viewable by members.

-Michael

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary,
I just reviewed your rep.

14 rep hits between 9/28-11/28
5 were negative, 9 were positive
5 of the 14 were from staff. 3 negative, 2 positive.

13 hits between 8/29-9/29
3 were negative, 10 were positive.
6 were from staff. 3 positive, 3 negative.

6 hits between 7/29-8/29
4 positive, 2 negative.
1 hit from staff - negative.

7 hits from 1/1-7/29
5 negative, 2 neutal
2 from staff, both negative.

totals
40 hits 1/1-11/28
15 negative, 25 positive/neutral
14 hits from staff - 9 negative, 5 positive.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith and Michael,

I have got to go by what you say, since I am not privy to all.

Thanks, I guess.

Regards, Gary

OP
O

OC Kid

My comment wasnt about the negative comments on my rep points I can deal with that. I like the idea of rep points its fun and interesting.

I wanted it so the person giving a negtive rep point would have to post their name. So if something needed to be clarified in the original post I could do it and address the person making the comment. Thats all.

Latest Discussions