Is Obama black?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, except, for the FACT that white people are not allowed to be proud of their race, or, if they are, they certainly aren't allowed to mention it.

I'm so tired of hearing this.

I guess all those Irish/Irish-Americans on St. Patrick's Day aren't "proud":

The first St Patrick's Day parade in New York City was held in 1766 organized by Irish soldiers serving in His Majesty's servicSponsored by the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the more than 150,000 marchers are members of various Irish societies from New York and around the country; many Eire-based societies make the Atlantic crossing to trek the two miles uptown.

And the Italians aren't proud, either.... or maybe not "white?"

I could go on, but I'd like to ask, just how are white people not allowed to be proud? Except, of course, that the phrase "white pride" has been coopted by a bunch of racist asshats?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two examples, both misidentified as proud of being white...
St Patrick's day is "IRISH pride", not white
Likewise, "Italian pride" is focused not on race, but, national origin.
I could go on, but I'd like to ask, just how are white people not allowed to be proud? Except, of course, that the phrase "white pride" has been coopted by a bunch of racist asshats?
That is exactly it, and the co-opting of the term has been lovingly embraced by the media.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Two examples, both misidentified as proud of being white...
St Patrick's day is "IRISH pride", not white
Likewise, "Italian pride" is focused not on race, but, national origin. .

And now I am confused.

Are you saying that Irish people aren't "white?"

Are you saying that "Irish" is a "race?"

Are you saying that "Italian" isn't a "race?"

Are you saying that "national origin" is a race?

Are you saying that "white" is a "race?"

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And now I am confused.

Are you saying that Irish people aren't "white?"

Are you saying that "Irish" is a "race?"

Are you saying that "Italian" isn't a "race?"

Are you saying that "national origin" is a race?

Are you saying that "white" is a "race?"

Paul McGrath and Samantha Mumba are both Black, yet they are Irish and proud of it. Phil. Phil Lynott (pardon the spelling) of 'Thin Lizzy' was also Black and Irish. They are Irish because they were born and raised in Ireland and there is not a single Irish person that I know that would consider them otherwise.

There are however, many 'Irish Americans' who many Irish people consider "Plastic Paddys.

You can be Black and be a proud Irishman at the same time. If white people proclaim their pride at being white however, they are considered racists. This is not the case for Blacks. I will say though, how anyone would be proud of their skin pigmentation is beyond me. I often wondered how white people can have blue eyes, red cheeks, blond hair, and freckles and yet refer to Black people as coloured.:rofl:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paul McGrath and Samantha Mumba are both Black, yet they are Irish and proud of it. Phil. Phil Lynott (pardon the spelling) of 'Thin Lizzy' was also Black and Irish. They are Irish because they were born and raised in Ireland and there is not a single Irish person that I know that would consider them otherwise.

There are however, many 'Irish Americans' who many Irish people consider "Plastic Paddys.

You can be Black and be a proud Irishman at the same time. If white people proclaim their pride at being white however, they are considered racists. This is not the case for Blacks. I will say though, how anyone would be proud of their skin pigmentation is beyond me. I often wondered how white people can have blue eyes, red cheeks, blond hair, and freckles and yet refer to Black people as coloured.:rofl:

:lfao:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

....and they don't march in the St. Patrick's day parade, do they?

There are however, many 'Irish Americans' who many Irish people consider "Plastic Paddys."

IS that anything like an "oreo," or an "apple indian?" I've been called both-not true.

Had a Chinese friend called a "banana Asian."

"Plastic Paddy." Filed and noted.

You can be Black and be a proud Irishman at the same time. If white people proclaim their pride at being white however, they are considered racists.

As I said, only because of a few racist asshats-no one says you can't be proud of what you are.

This is not the case for Blacks. I will say though, how anyone would be proud of their skin pigmentation is beyond me.

I have a lively, spotted, and ruddy peanut butter color that is unique and resplendent! :lfao:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well Steve, Iwould have to say, curious question, but who should care. Barak is simply a man, we should try to stay there and leave race out of it. Impossible, I know, but it is to be hoped for.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
....and they don't march in the St. Patrick's day parade, do they?
Which St. Patrick's day parade? Of course Phil Lynott doesn't, he dead. I have to say that McGrath most probably did in Dublin. He was the manager of the Irish National Football team. As for Samantha Mumba, when I was living in Dublin she was one of the most famous singer/actresses at the time, so she was probably too busy partying it up. Everyone, (including herself) considers her Irish, and I've never even heard it mentioned that she is somehow not Irish because of her skin tone.

If you haven't been to Dublin on St. Patrick's day, it really is a sight to behold. People from all over the world march; blacks, Indians all races and colors. People from all over the world go to watch and participate.

Dublin is quite cosmopolitan, there is even a small Chinatown in Dublin city. It's right behind South Great George Street. The people of Chinese heritage who were born there are considered more Irish than me. After all, I may look Irish, and my parents are Irish, but I was born in England, so I'm considered British by the Irish populace.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Which St. Patrick's day parade? .

Yeah, but we're talking about here in the USA....where most of the Irish are "white," including the "black Irish." :lol:

billcihak said:
Well Steve, Iwould have to say, curious question, but who should care. Barak is simply a man, we should try to stay there and leave race out of it. Impossible.

Seriously, though-we're talking about here in the USA, where I've been told that I "talk nice, without all that jive" and been told that I "talk like you want to be white. Where I've been arrested just for being black in Palm Beach.(Don't believe me? When I asked for the charge, the cop said How about I charge you with being a ****** on the sidewalk on a sunny day?) Where people-sometimes people I've been just introduced to and sometimes complete strangers from just across the room-will come up to me and politely ask "What ethnicity are you?" or, less politely (and comically) "What are you?" or, "What kind of Indian are you?" or "Are you Samoan or something?" Where I've been told by black barbers that I have "nice white hair," and told by white barbers that they can't cut my hair.

Where, in just 2007, I was called "******" for the umpteenth time, though the first time in New Mexico, after nearly 14 years.

Where my son has been called zebra, or porch monkey and heard his mother defamed simply for having me for his father.

Where I regularly have had to tell people that yes, I am the person who occupies this office, the one you were looking for, and gloss over their initial shock.

And as much as all that has hurt me as an individual-or as little, for I'm rather thick skinned, actually, especially at 50-it's nakedly true that race and color matter in this country. That no matter how much I don't blame or hate "white people" for how I'm treated-or can expect to be treated-(and I don't) such things are part of our society, and will be for a long time.

Barack Obama is black, because that's what people see, and that's what he says.

I have my own opinions about how he feels about his "white" heritage-and they're not good-but, since being in politics, he's never publicly denied it. He doesn't look nearly like as much of a mutt as I do, though-and that's never kept anyone who wanted to from calling me "******, or led to anyone calling him "white."

Almost all "African Americans," that is to say, descendents of the African diaspora that was American slavery, are 15-20% "white."

No one has ever called me "white."

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but we're talking about here in the USA....where most of the Irish are "white," including the "black Irish." :lol:

Seriously, though-we're talking about here in the USA, where I've been told that I "talk nice, without all that jive" and been told that I "talk like you want to be white. Where I've been arrested just for being black in Palm Beach.(Don't believe me? When I asked for the charge, the cop said How about I charge you with being a ****** on the sidewalk on a sunny day?) Where people-sometimes people I've been just introduced to and sometimes complete strangers from just across the room-will come up to me and politely ask "What ethnicity are you?" or, less politely (and comically) "What are you?" or, "What kind of Indian are you?" or "Are you Samoan or something?" Where I've been told by black barbers that I have "nice white hair," and told by white barbers that they can't cut my hair.

Where, in just 2007, I was called "******" for the umpteenth time, though the first time in New Mexico, after nearly 14 years.

Where my son has been called zebra, or porch monkey and heard his mother defamed simply for having me for his father.

Where I regularly have had to tell people that yes, I am the person who occupies this office, the one you were looking for, and gloss over their initial shock.

And as much as all that has hurt me as an individual-or as little, for I'm rather thick skinned, actually, especially at 50-it's nakedly true that race and color matter in this country. That no matter how much I don't blame or hate "white people" for how I'm treated-or can expect to be treated-(and I don't) such things are part of our society, and will be for a long time.

Barack Obama is black, because that's what people see.

I have my own opinions about how he feels about his "white" heritage-and they'er not good-but, since being in politics, he's never publicly denied it. He doesn't look nearly like as much of a mutt as I do, though-and that's never kept anyone who wanted to from calling me "******."

Almost all "African Americans," that is to say, descendents of the African diaspora that was American slavery, are 15-20% "white."

No one has ever called me "white."

so there are 317 million something odd people in the US.
you have been called racial names by what 100 or them?
1000?
even if it was 3,000,000 thats still less then 1% of the population.
I imagine that even as ridiculous as that sounds if you took how many people you have met with how many have called you or treated you in a racist way that the number is probably still less then 1%
I would think that doesnt suggest a racist agenda, or even that race is so important as you mentioned.
I would say that is a pretty damn low number...

fat people see more hatred based on the size
ugly people see more hatred based on their looks
homeless people see more hatred based on their situation

Hell you can go on and on.

the fact that instutions who are even suggested to have had an employee that say a racist thing, or discriminate are forcefully protested against, and lose massive amonts of business or are even shut down whether its true or not would tend to suggest that the opposite of what you say is much more prevalant.
I would say racism is mostly a thing of the past with small percentages of ignorance tossed in, but none of any importance.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
[
so there are 317 million something odd people in the US.
you have been called racial names by what 100 or them?
1000?
even if it was 3,000,000 thats still less then 1% of the population.
I would think that doesnt suggest a racist agenda, or even that race is so important as you mentioned.
I would say that is a pretty damn low number...

And I would say that if 1 person had done it, it's too goddam high for the post-racial utopia that so many people in non-brown skin seem to want to imagine that we all live in.

Multiply that "100 people" who called me names, multiply that by 42 million, and thats not such a "damn low number" at all, because my experiences aren't the exception-they're the norm.

And there doesn't have to be an "agenda" for there to be reality, and, whether you like it, or see it (and, if you don't live it, how can you see it) it's real.

[I would say racism is mostly a thing of the past with small percentages of ignorance tossed in, but none of any importance.

And I would say that it's all important-both ways.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And I would say that if 1 person had done it, it's too goddam high for the post-racial utopia that so many people in non-brown skin seem to want to imagine that we all live in.

Multiply that "100 people" who called me names, multiply that by 42 million, and thats not such a "damn low number" at all, because my experiences aren't the exception-they're the norm.

And there doesn't have to be an "agenda" for there to be reality, and, whether you like it, or see it (and, if you don't live it, how can you see it) it's real.

ya like I have said in the past I have a similar experience being called racist names by other people, however I take it for what it is, a bunch of worthless ignorant fools, regardless of their race, and regardless who they do it to.
what because I am white and someone of color blasts me with racial comments thats ok, or doesnt count because im not of color?
Or it doesnt count as the same for what reason?
is there a good reason?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
ya like I have said in the past I have a similar experience being called racist names by other people, however I take it for what it is, a bunch of worthless ignorant fools, regardless of their race, and regardless who they do it to.
what because I am white and someone of color blasts me with racial comments thats ok, or doesnt count because im not of color?
Or it doesnt count as the same for what reason?
is there a good reason?

No, it all counts, and all that you've said supports what I've said.

el brujo de la Cueva said:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where I've been arrested just for being black in Palm Beach.(Don't believe me? When I asked for the charge, the cop said How about I charge you with being a ****** on the sidewalk on a sunny day?) "
Im throwing the BS Flag on that one right there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Im throwing the BS Flag on that one right there.

I've told this story here before-as in before you got here, ballen-and I'll point out that in every profession, there are people who are completely unprofessional.

1980. I was going to visit my friend from boarding school at his home. For a little background, I was flying my freak flag at the time: full beard (my second one!), bandana, cutoff, and riding a hard-tailed Triumph (38 hrs. from Peekskill, NY to Palm Beach). I was tired and irritable, but after I got pulled over I remained polite.

After all, I hadn't done anything, I had nothing to worry about, right?

At the time, there was a lot of talk about requiring domestic servants in that part of Palm Beach to carry ID to prove they belonged there-that is to say, ID cards to prove that their brown to mocha asses belonged there. It made the papers and TV, there was quite a bit of controversy-it was even ridiculed in Doonesbury. Lee's family has what's called "old money"-in fact, years later at his wedding ceremony, which my father officiated, he told me that he was the first one in his family in something like 60 years to hold a job.

Anyway, for his house, imagine a place like Donald Trump's down there, Mar el Largo, or whatever-Lee had a sweet set-up of 9 trampolines set into a pit at ground level out in the yard, and lived next door to Alice Cooper. I was looking forward to a good time.

Anyway, I get pulled over-license and registration are good. He asks me where I'm going, and I tell him. The hell you say, he replies, and I say, no, really, Lee's a friend from school.

Unbeknownst to me, Lee's dad and grandad are well known for throwing epic parties, and , at the front gate, there's a sign that reads something to the effect of , Deliveries, Caterers, and Police, please use service entrance.

He proceeds to search me-lays all my stuff from my backpack on the side of the road, but there's nothing in there-not even a knife or a joint, at which point he looks at me and says, Well, I'm going to have to take you in.

I ask the charge, and you know the rest. Spent 6 hrs. in the lockup before they even let me call Lee- when they got to the station, his dad offered to get the guy fired, but I told him-pissed as I was-that that's just life in brown skin, and I'd be glad to get my stuff, my bike and my *** back in one piece......

Oh, and there's a B.S. flag smiley that you could have flown, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe it was because Lee's dad and grandad were thought of as troublemakers-I don't know one way or the other, but that sign couldn't have made any cop happy. Maybe it was just because the cop didn't believe me. But that's not what I believe, and it's not what he said.

All I had to say in this thread, and you call B.S. to a 30 year old story that I've told many times.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've told this story here before-as in before you got here, ballen-and I'll point out that in every profession, there are people who are completely unprofessional.

1980. I was going to visit my friend from boarding school at his home. For a little background, I was flying my freak flag at the time: full beard (my second one!0, bandana, cutoff, and riding a hard-tailed Triumph (38 hrs. from Peekskill, NY to Palm Beach). I was tired and irritable, but after I got pulled over I remained polite.

After all, I hadn't done anything, I had nothing to worry about, right?

At the time, there was a lot of talk about requiring domestic servants in that part of Palm Beach to carry ID to prove they belonged there-that is to say, ID cards to prove that their brown to mocha asses belonged there. It made the papers and TV, there was quite a bit of controversy-it was even ridiculed in Doonesbury. Lee's family has what's called "old money"-in fact, years later at his wedding ceremony, which my father officiated at, he told me that he was the first one in his family in something like 60 years to hold a job.

Anyway, for his house, imagine a place like Donald Trump's down there, Mar el Largo, or whatever-Lee had a sweet set-up of 9 trampolines set into a pit at ground level out in the yard, and lived next door to Alice Cooper. I was looking forward to a good time.

Anyway, I get pulled over-license and registration are good. He asks me where I'm going, and I tell him. The hell you say, he replies, and I say, no, really, Lee's a friend from school.

Unbeknownst to me, Lee's dad and grandad are well known for throwing epic parties, and , at the front gate, there's a sign that reads something to the effect of , Deliveries, Caterers, and Police, please use service entrance.

He proceeds to search me-lays all my stuff from my backpack on the side of the road, but there's nothing in there-not even a knife or a joint, at which point he looks at me and says, Well, I'm going to have to take you in.

I ask the charge, and you know the rest. Spent 6 hrs. in the lockup before they even let me call Lee-his dad offered to get the guy fired, but I told him-pissed as I was-that that's just life in brown skin, and I'd be glad to get my stuff, my bike and my *** back in one piece......

Oh, and there's a B.S. flag smiley that you could have flown, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe it was because Lee's dad and grandad were thought of as troublemakers-I don't know one way or the other, but that sign couldn't have made any cop happy. Maybe it was just because the cop didn't believe me. But that's not what I believe, and it's not what he said.

So what were you charged with?
Oh and Im not big on using the smileys and things Heck I just learned to multi-quote the other day

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The six hours in lock up is not unusual. I had a kid in one of my english classes, he was fishing with his father in one of our northern states, left his dad to go to the local store to get something and was pulled over. He fit the description of a suspect, I forget what the crime was, was arrested and spent Thursday to Monday in the county jail, and wasn't able to make a call because of some screw up at the county facility. He wasn't even the guy. He was a white kid as well.