Is it worth the buck to train boxing recreationaly?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is of course also Shinken Shobu Kyokushin competitions, but they never gained international appeal, as far as I know.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, since my style does have face punching, which would you prefer of these two suboptimal choices before joining a boxing gym? -- a semi contact style with constant face punching. Or full contact with no face punching (Kyokushin competition rules) in transitioning to boxing? Which of the two is the smoothest transition in your opinion?

No idea.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was a great thread to come home from work to. :) I'd like to opine if I may.

Will they let me spar sooner if I have 4 years of "kickboxing-type" sparring? I really don't know if it's my thing or not until I spar.

The guys in boxing gyms love kick boxers.

The getting hit part is not a problem. The problem is that I would have to abandon my current school because I can't afford or have the time for both. Yet boxing is very tempting. If I absolutely can't stand the rule set and getting adjusted to the new stances, it's an easier decision which to choose. I think I would love boxing sparring but I just don't know.

In a boxing gym, the "getting hit" part is always a problem. It's not like other martial training. Honest.

I have no intentions letting them know anything about how I used to spar since it's irrelevant. Point is that I'm ready for sparring right away, and sparring is most likely the deciding factor.

I believe you're wise not to let them know about your experience. Just go, learn and have fun. They'll hook you up for sparring, just go with the flow.

Yes....lol

There are 4 punches in boxing jab,cross,hook and uppercut and you can learn the basics of them in 1 lesson yes you can improve them and they won't be perfect after 1 lesson but you'll know what the punches are and you will have a fundamental idea of how to do them after a lesson

Replicating any particular movement of the arms and hands is fairly easy to do. The basic motion of a boxing punch, or a punch from any style of Martial Arts is an easy imitation. The nuances and applications are a different story. Have you ever shot pool, played billiards? Pretty simple movement of the arms and hands. Pretty easy to imitate - in an "air guitar" kind of way. At least until you go against a pool player in a game of straight pool. The fundamental idea you have at the onset will likely be something you warn your grandchildren about.

Nevermind the guard.. is the stance in this picture "acceptable" for a boxing coach?:D

http://www.wikihow.com/images/8/8c/Assume-a-Fighting-Stance-in-Taekwondo-Step-12.jpg

No. Oh, God no. It is a baseball player's stance in a rock fight.

Ah but you see, boxing is the art of punching without getting punched. But it's not fun being on the reciever end of that:)

There is no such thing as not getting punched in boxing. None, zip, nada.

But don't Kyokushin guys get shell-shocked by a knockout-style boxer? They have literaly zero face punching in their sparring. A heavy hitting boxer must be a nightmare for them, no?

If they were boxing, yes. No, if they were fighting using Kyokushin rules. And I don't know where the no contact face thing came from. The Kyokushin guys I know love contact. Eat it up. And, man, they can hit.

I spent some time as a kick boxer, professionally. Had some good teachers. Spent time as a ref, corner man, a judge and a trainer. Spent some time in boxing gyms, too, reffed some amateur matches, worked the corner in some Golden Gloves, filled in as a judge on occasion. Been fortunate enough to work with several world champions.

Boxers so love kick boxers. Because you are fighting in their sport. It is usually nothing like you think going in. But if you train in a boxing gym, you're just going to get better at boxing in particular, and punching in general.

Go have fun. And keep your hands up.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
In a boxing gym, the "getting hit" part is always a problem..

I'm not intending to have any gym wars. I'm fine with hard contact but it's not the point for me. Winning is not the point either. Learning something new is!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not intending to have any gym wars. I'm fine with hard contact but it's not the point for me. Winning is not the point either. Learning something new is!

You're going to have fun. You go, bro. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:) I am fairly confident you won't have to worry about said same. Just have fun and keep us posted.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By semi contact in my case there could be hard contact, but not more than you feel it, brush it off and then continue. I actually don't mind getting punched in the face specifically. I don't think it hurts, it's mostly a psychological thing. Hard strikes to the body are tougher personally for me.
You just haven't been hit in the head hard enough. Or enough times. After your first broken nose or your nth concussion, you'll see things differently. Personally, if I could go the rest of my without ever getting hit in the head again I would be perfectly fine with that (I got punched in the face Saturday though, so I don't see that being very likely...)

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You just haven't been hit in the head hard enough. Or enough times. After your first broken nose or your nth concussion, you'll see things differently. Personally, if I could go the rest of my without ever getting hit in the head again I would be perfectly fine with that (I got punched in the face Saturday though, so I don't see that being very likely...)

I've had a swollen nose and sparred guys weight classes above (heavyweights) me due to lack of students. I can take a good punch on the chin and face.. Believe me.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, it's not really an experience thing either. Some fighters have glass chins no matter how much they fight. The great Ernesto Hoost face planted when he got hit clean..It's amazing he managed to overshadow that achilles heal.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a swollen nose and sparred guys weight classes above (heavyweights) me due to lack of students. I can take a good punch on the chin and face.. Believe me.
My statement was more towards longevity, not disputing your ability to take a hit (as you stated, it depends on some inherit characteristic I don't fully understand more than anything else). If martial arts is a lifestyle for you, spending your free time getting punched in the head may diminish that lifestyle. CTE, for one, may become an issue. What is CTE?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
My statement was more towards longevity, not disputing your manliness. If martial arts is a lifestyle for you, spending your free time getting punched in the head may diminish that lifestyle. CTE, for one, may become an issue. What is CTE?

Why would I get that from recreational sparring? Competition level sparring is the real danger.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would I get that from recreational sparring? Competition level sparring is the real danger.
Whether it is recreational or competitive isn't the determining factor. How hard and/ or often you get hit in the head is. There is some evidence that a lot of small hits in a short period can be damaging.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You seem to be wanting full contact sparring to the head. If you do that for long enough, CTE's a real danger. Read through the link; it's not a result of full-on concussions, simple impacts to the head (getting rocked, or even just hit hard) over a long period of time is what causes it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be wanting full contact sparring to the head. If you do that for long enough, CTE's a real danger. Read through the link; it's not a result of full-on concussions, simple impacts to the head (getting rocked, or even just hit hard) over a long period of time is what causes it.
Agreed. They are seeing it in soccer (football) players who head the ball a lot, which suggests getting rocked isn't necessary, and "hard" isn't as hard as once thought.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't about competitive level sparring it is about multiple head strikes.

Who is most at risk for CTE?
Every person diagnosed with CTE has one thing in common: repetitive hits to the head.
1 CTE is most often found in contact sport athletes and military veterans, likely because these are some of the only roles in modern life that involve purposeful, repetitive hits to the head. CTE has been found in individuals whose primary exposure to head impacts was through tackle football, the military, hockey, boxing & other fight sports, rugby, soccer, pro wrestling, and, baseball, basketball, intimate partner violence, and individuals with developmental disorders who engaged in head banging behaviors.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It isn't about competitive level sparring it is about multiple head strikes.

Who is most at risk for CTE?
Every person diagnosed with CTE has one thing in common: repetitive hits to the head.
1 CTE is most often found in contact sport athletes and military veterans, likely because these are some of the only roles in modern life that involve purposeful, repetitive hits to the head. CTE has been found in individuals whose primary exposure to head impacts was through tackle football, the military, hockey, boxing & other fight sports, rugby, soccer, pro wrestling, and, baseball, basketball, intimate partner violence, and individuals with developmental disorders who engaged in head banging behaviors.

Yeah well, from what I've been told, one can never learn boxing without actually sparring. And I see no point practising the martial arts if I limit it to no contact sparring.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. I don't disagree.

You asked and stated about CTE; "Why would I get that from recreational sparring? Competition level sparring is the real danger."

So I gave you some info on why getting CTE is a concern from recreational sparring as well as other sports. Everything in life has a consequence. It is up to the individual to determine if the risk is something they are willing to live with.

The limiting of contact sparring is a decision of your choosing.

I'm 62...I still spar.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah well, from what I've been told, one can never learn boxing without actually sparring. And I see no point practising the martial arts if I limit it to no contact sparring.
Absolutely, go spar. I'm just warning you the risks of full contact sparring with headshots, since you seemed to be discounting those in your posts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Learning to fight properly is going to contain risk. That is just the nature of a thing.

Latest Discussions