Is it worth the buck to train boxing recreationaly?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing isn't all about sparring, you don't learn much technique from sparring. Sparring is about fitness, conditioning, ring craft, working combinations and defence. Your technique is learnt more from shadow boxing, pad work and drills

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
. Your technique is learnt more from shadow boxing, pad work and drills

I have already learned that, albeit at a much more artificial level. That's why boxing intrigues me.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have already learned that, albeit at a much more artificial level. That's why boxing intrigues me.
There's a huge difference between a karate/taekwondo or whatever punch and a boxers punch. The stances are different, the way you hold your hands is different, the way you block is different. It's very different trust me

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between a karate/taekwondo or whatever punch and a boxers punch. The stances are different, the way you hold your hands is different, the way you block is different. It's very different trust me

Oh sure but that's in large part due to the difference in stance, and to really get accustomed to it I need sparring.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh sure but that's in large part due to the difference in stance, and to really get accustomed to it I need sparring.
If you're doing the stance wrong they most likely won't let you spar until you've got it right on the pads or in shadow boxing. That's how it's done in the gyms I've been in. Maybe not all of them do that but that's what I've seen

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're doing the stance wrong they most likely won't let you spar until you've got it right on the pads or in shadow boxing. That's how it's done in the gyms I've been in.

Yeah but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it in live action.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if you can't do it in the air or on pads you definentely can't do it when someone's attacking you

Being comfortable with it has nothing to do with whether I'm capable or not. I've sparred in a different stance for 4 years, and I'm not positive that I will like how boxers stand.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being comfortable with it has nothing to do with whether I'm capable or not. I've sparred in a different stance for 4 years, and I'm not positive that I will like how boxers stand.
Well then don't do boxing...if you can't play by their rules there's not much point doing it

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm torn between sticking with my traditional martial arts (4 years of training) and doing something new - that is boxing! I'm very tempted after recieving my first degree black belt to switch!

How many of you traditional martial artists were hooked by boxing? The problem is that I won't be sparring anytime soon, so any free trial won't really tell me as much as would want it too. I have already drilled boxing techniques in my current club, although we don't have it down to a science in the same way. The thing I look forward to the most is sparring and improving.

Also, boxing gyms are very pricey compared to the traditional martial arts, so it better be worth it!
Any martial system, in and of itself, can be worthwhile if it is something you are interested in and if quality instruction is available.

If you think it is something that you "ought" to do because of popular opinion, but you have no real interest in it, then dont do it.

If the biomechanics of the boxing technique are significantly different from your prior training, then you might find some physical conflicts and it could lead to some frustration and/or make it more difficult to progress and/or undermine your prior training. It is up to you to decide if the potential conflicts matter.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think everyone is too old for that kind of repetitive beating.
There is no fun to get punched on the head daily. That's why I like to spend my time in "anti-striking". Not to let my opponent's fist to land on my head is my 1st priority. I try to extend my

- left arm between my opponent's right arm and his head.
- right arm between my opponent's left arm and his head.

IMO, it's much easier to "separate my opponent's arms away from his body (1 skill)" and disable his punching ability than to learn how to box (many skills).

On the other hand, if

- A spends 5 years to learn how to kick.
- B spend 5 years to learn how to catch a kicking leg and take down.

5 years later, if A and B have a fight, who is going to win? That can be another interested experiment.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no fun to get punched on the head daily. .

Ah but you see, boxing is the art of punching without getting punched. But it's not fun being on the reciever end of that:)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah but you see, boxing is the art of punching without getting punched. But it's not fun being on the reciever end of that:)
Of course if you don't train boxing, you will never be good in boxing yourself.

The basic idea of boxing is

- you use your arms to protect your head and you try to punch your opponent's head.
- your opponent uses his arms to protect his head and he tries to punch your head.

This strategy will give both you and your opponent all the punch space and distance that will be needed.

If you always try to "squeeze" your opponent's punching space and distance, he cannot punch you. That's more aggressive and better approach.

Instead of using your arm to protect your own head, it's better to extend your arms and put your hand next to your opponent's boxing guard. The moment that your opponent tries to punch you, the moment that you try to interrupt his punch at the beginner stage when his punch has less speed and less power.

It's a different way of thinking. You try to force your opponent to play a game that he is not familiar with.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to me you are more interested in 'sparring boxers' rather than 'learning to box'.
And visiting an MMA gym, I'd guess it'd be reasonably easy to find a boxer willing to spar against other styles. May be able to find someone at a boxing gym, too, though they might see it as someone looking to prove their art is better than boxing (like a Gracie challenge).

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me you are more interested in 'sparring boxers' rather than 'learning to box'.

I'm more interested in that than becoming a pro level boxer, but I would like to learn boxing as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We spar karate guys now. they just turn upon sparring days. And decide to either kickbox or Kyokushin depending on what people want to do.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes....lol

There are 4 punches in boxing jab,cross,hook and uppercut and you can learn the basics of them in 1 lesson yes you can improve them and they won't be perfect after 1 lesson but you'll know what the punches are and you will have a fundamental idea of how to do them after a lesson

We had a much different experiences then.

The gymn I trained at you start off with a jab and straight right with emphasis on keeping your hands up. Lot of time hitting a heavy bag with jabs and straight rights. You naturally start learning some basic footwork while adding in head movement. Once you get some basic footwork and head movement then you learn how to throw a hook and again lot of work on the heavy bag. Learn better footwork and angles and then you learn the uppercut and overhand right.

In the beginning, a lot of time hitting the bag building punching technique and muscle memory.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
We spar karate guys now. they just turn upon sparring days. And decide to either kickbox or Kyokushin depending on what people want to do.

Any overlap at all? Footwork, technique, movement?

Latest Discussions