Is it worth the buck to train boxing recreationaly?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learning to fight properly is going to contain risk. That is just the nature of a thing.
Agreed. Everybody's gotta decide where the compromise is right for them. Best fight prep with a short-term view is the hardest training. Long-term risk avoidance produces less fight prep. Somewhere between those two, we each make our choice.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I really need help with is my low adrenalin nowdays when it comes to sparring. I'm in a state of neither tired or excited, and I can't get myself riled up. This negatively impacts my performance. I just get on the defensive and don't really have more energy than just poping the guy with a jab now and then.

Is there something you recommend me taking before sparring to get me charged up? I'm a mental zoombie nowdays:(

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing I really need help with is my low adrenalin nowdays when it comes to sparring. I'm in a state of neither tired or excited, and I can't get myself riled up. This negatively impacts my performance. I just get on the defensive and don't really have more energy than just poping the guy with a jab now and then.

Is there something you recommend me taking before sparring to get me charged up? I'm a mental zoombie nowdays:(
Get some sleep and then find a way to get excited about the training.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Get some sleep and then find a way to get excited about the training.

Do you think being slightly underweight has something to do with these adrenalin dumps? It's as if I don't have the energy, especially midway through training. I'm not fatigued but simply "dull" if you know what I mean.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think being slightly underweight has something to do with these adrenalin dumps? It's as if I don't have the energy, especially midway through training. I'm not fatigued but simply "dull" if you know what I mean.
Is this something new for you? (Both the underweight and the lack of energy). If it is, then you might have something medically or mentally (depression, insomnia, etc.) wrong. If it's been going on, you must have been able to handle it for the last 4 years, so what have you been doing?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know, and I suggest you see a doctor and make sure you don't have any underlying health problems.

Any suggestion i might make would be a complete guess, and would be irresponsible. Don't look for medical advice on a martial arts discussion forum. See a doctor.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this something new for you? (Both the underweight and the lack of energy). If it is, then you might have something medically or mentally (depression, insomnia, etc.) wrong. If it's been going on, you must have been able to handle it for the last 4 years, so what have you been doing?

I did not experience this 2 years ago. I do suffer from more permanent depressive, moody states nowdays. However, I want to do well in sparring, but my body and mind is not co-operating. The 21 year old I spar is so much more energetic, and I'm still only 28.. I shouldnt be slowing down yet. most fighters peak around 30.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not experience this 2 years ago. I do suffer from more permanent depressive, moody states nowdays. However, I want to do well in sparring, but my body and mind is not co-operating. The 21 year old I spar is so much more energetic, and I'm still only 28.. I shouldnt be slowing down yet. most fighters peak around 30.
28 isn't that far from 30, but what you're describing sounds more like the results of depression. I would definitely go to a doctor, tell them about your concerns, and if they do not find anything medically wrong, go to a therapist.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
28 isn't that far from 30, but what you're describing sounds more like the results of depression. I would definitely go to a doctor, tell them about your concerns, and if they do not find anything medically wrong, go to a therapist.

Yeah, they thought I was functioning too well to be diagnosed with depression. Not that I would ever take any garbage that they offer due to the sideffects.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, they thought I was functioning too well to be diagnosed with depression. Not that I would ever take any garbage that they offer due to the sideffects.

Diet can do that to you as well. Lots of sugar highs and lows.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

As a disclaimer for this post and any additional posts; I am a therapist. However, I do not offer any official advice online, as I have never met you. I also do not diagnose online, and do not give treatment recommendations beyond "See a therapist" or "see a doctor".

That said, there is a global assessment of functioning (GAF), and depression (MDD, or dysthymia), which are two separate things. You can still have depression and function; either the person who diagnosed you, has a different view on this for whatever reason, or more likely there was more to his diagnosis (or lack of) then that. You can always get a second assessment if you felt an issue with the assessor, just like you can with a doctor. However, if the assessor felt you didn't have depression, that just increases the urging to go to a doctor, since there can be medical issues that present themselves like depression.

Regarding "taking any garbage that they offer", a psychiatrist will offer you medication, psychologists/psychotherapist/counselors/etc. are not able to do that. As I said, I can't state which would be better for you, or if you even need medication/psychotherapy, just informing you that in the mental health field, different providers offer different services.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

You don't need to be riled up to spar but best person to ask is a doctor or sports psychiatrist or something

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be blunt that is very silly, there are many people who owe their lives to what you call 'garbage'. Is depression easier to live with that any side effects which may or may not affect you? No, depression is crippling and life limiting, it is an agony for those that suffer so not taking treatment when offered is sheer stupidity.

As for taking something, chocolate and fizzy drinks aren't the answer. Talk to your doctor, you could have nothing wrong with you and need a kick up the bum BUT you could have anything from underactive thyroid, to aenemia to glandular fever and anything in between such as Lyme disease or diabetes. It can be something easily sorted or take a little longer, it could be taking meds or a mere change in diet. See your doctor.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was functioning too well to be diagnosed with depression.
Instead of thinking about what you don't have, you should think about what you have. If you don't have serious pain 24/7 and your eyes can still see, you should feel that you are in heaven.

A depressed healthy person > a person has no arm > a person has no leg > a person can't see > a dead person

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lack of function, IIRC, isn't part of the necessary DSM criteria for depression, just a part of the grading toward severe.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lack of function, IIRC, isn't part of the necessary DSM criteria for depression, just a part of the grading toward severe.
Essentially, you have to meet a specific number of criteria for mild (5-6), moderate(7-8) or severe depression(9), but it can be fewer if you see a serious impairment in functioning or distress that requires a "heavier" diagnosis. That's true even for mild; if the person only has 4 symptoms, but the assessor can see significant distress or impairment, he/she can still diagnose it.

That's specifically for MDD. If it's a different depressive disorder, or your adding a qualifier, the qualifier may require something else (ie: for anxious distress, you only need two 'anxious' symptoms on top of MDD for 'MDD, X, with anxious distress, mild).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Essentially, you have to meet a specific number of criteria for mild (5-6), moderate(7-8) or severe depression(9), but it can be fewer if you see a serious impairment in functioning or distress that requires a "heavier" diagnosis. That's true even for mild; if the person only has 4 symptoms, but the assessor can see significant distress or impairment, he/she can still diagnose it.

That's specifically for MDD. If it's a different depressive disorder, or your adding a qualifier, the qualifier may require something else (ie: for anxious distress, you only need two 'anxious' symptoms on top of MDD for 'MDD, X, with anxious distress, mild).
Thanks! My memories of DSM are pretty old, and getting older all the time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The other aspect may be pretty simple. You may have lost the point of the whole exercise.

Without one you are just going through the motions.

Latest Discussions