Is grappling better for female self defense than striking?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A blatant lie?
Yep, when it all boils down and you twist the truth it usually ends up that way. You twist things so much that it appears you even believe it yourself.

As to news reports. First reports rushing to break a story often miss important bits. They generally come out later as they did in this case.

Oh, I wasn't aware that you would be the one doing the training. Well considering that you combine multiple arts and grappling, she would be quite a bit better off than the woman in the article. I find it quite interesting that you're against MMA training, when you offer MMA training yourself.
I'm not sure why you would say this. You suggested my training was setting females up for failure, now you say because I'm combining martial arts it's different.

Why would you suggest I was against MMA training? Like most people, there are certain systems or types of training that don't appeal to me. MMA training is one of them, but that has nothing to do with MMA. The very practical reason is, although I hate to play the age card, MMA in your 60s is not the most sensible place to play. Even in my 20s or 30s I doubt it would have appealed but that is personal choice.

So no, I am not against MMA. I think for people who wish to participate in MMA competition it is probably the best way to train. But, I am the first to admit, I don't have the right skill set to teach MMA so although you may claim I teach MMA, that is just not true, and I do not offer MMA training.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would say this. You suggested my training was setting females up for failure, now you say because I'm combining martial arts it's different.

Why would you suggest I was against MMA training? Like most people, there are certain systems or types of training that don't appeal to me. MMA training is one of them, but that has nothing to do with MMA. The very practical reason is, although I hate to play the age card, MMA in your 60s is not the most sensible place to play. Even in my 20s or 30s I doubt it would have appealed but that is personal choice.

easy answer...he is a troll

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, when it all boils down and you twist the truth it usually ends up that way. You twist things so much that it appears you even believe it yourself.

As to news reports. First reports rushing to break a story often miss important bits. They generally come out later as they did in this case.

So pretty much everyone is lying unless they go with your version of events?

Nice to know.

Why yes. I personally don't believe that individual arts have all the answers. This is especially the case with archaic arts that don't evolve with the times, and tend to believe that they had all of the answers way back in the day. I personally wouldn't recommend either Aikido or Goju for self defense, but, I think that they're better combined than they are separated.

So no, I am not against MMA. I think for people who wish to participate in MMA competition it is probably the best way to train. But, I am the first to admit, I don't have the right skill set to teach MMA so although you may claim I teach MMA, that is just not true, and I do not offer MMA training.

When I say "MMA", I'm simply saying mixed martial arts. Not the sport itself, but the combining of individual styles into something new. For example, if I ever decided to combine Karate with Bjj and teach it as a unified style, I would be teaching a mixed martial art, much like Lyoto Machida's style of karate.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So pretty much everyone is lying unless they go with your version of events?

Nice to know.

Why yes. I personally don't believe that individual arts have all the answers. This is especially the case with archaic arts that don't evolve with the times, and tend to believe that they had all of the answers way back in the day. I personally wouldn't recommend either Aikido or Goju for self defense, but, I think that they're better combined than they are separated.

When I say "MMA", I'm simply saying mixed martial arts. Not the sport itself, but the combining of individual styles into something new. For example, if I ever decided to combine Karate with Bjj and teach it as a unified style, I would be teaching a mixed martial art, much like Lyoto Machida's style of karate.
Hanzou, this just muddies the waters. MMA is a sport and when the term is used, it speaks specifically to training for competition in that sport. While the specific formula for trianing may vary, as with Machida, the ruleset of the sport is front and center.

Mixing two or more styles without having the ruleset in mind is really just crosstraining. MMA may once have been as you suggest. But now, and at the very least since 2001 when the UFC adopted the NJ rules and held the first sanctioned MMA event, "MMA" and "Mixed Martial Arts" is a sport as well defined as Boxing, Tennis or any other sport.

It sounds to me that you're endorsing crosstraining, which I think is a good idea and one that others here can surely also agree with. But, it ain't MMA unless it's related to the sport of MMA. My opinion, at least.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, this just muddies the waters. MMA is a sport and when the term is used, it speaks specifically to training for competition in that sport. While the specific formula for trianing may vary, as with Machida, the ruleset of the sport is front and center.

Mixing two or more styles without having the ruleset in mind is really just crosstraining. MMA may once have been as you suggest. But now, and at the very least since 2001 when the UFC adopted the NJ rules and held the first sanctioned MMA event, "MMA" and "Mixed Martial Arts" is a sport as well defined as Boxing, Tennis or any other sport.

It sounds to me that you're endorsing crosstraining, which I think is a good idea and one that others here can surely also agree with. But, it ain't MMA unless it's related to the sport of MMA. My opinion, at least.

Eh, I believe that there's the sport of MMA, and various MMA arts out there. For example, what if I trained someone in Bjj and Shotokan, couldn't they still enter the UFC and fight utilizing a MMA?

Additionally, I use the acronym "MMA" for "Modern Martial Arts" as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Eh, I believe that there's the sport of MMA, and various MMA arts out there. For example, what if I trained someone in Bjj and Shotokan, couldn't they still enter the UFC and fight utilizing a MMA?

Additionally, I use the acronym "MMA" for "Modern Martial Arts" as well.
Dude. That's just inviting confusion.

Fwiw, if you're combining bjj and shotokan with the intent to compete in Mma, then sure... Call it Mma. Otherwise, I'd call it cross training and leave it at that. Less confusion.

And modern martial art just makes my brain hurt. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering that she was screaming for help, I would think that assistance was quite necessary.

Why wouldn't you scream for help? Or advise anybody else not scream for help?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The thing with mma is that why you don't like it is different to the context here.

Mma train striking. So if anybody is suggesting mma for self defence they are suggesting striking for self defence.

Yes they also train grappling but that is kind of what I was suggesting at about post two.

The rest is off topic so I will leave that alone.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I have the situation under control, why would I be screaming for help?

In case it gets out of control or to get more control to ensure a weapon is not pulled to effect a lawful arrest to prevent a third party engaging against you to cover your actions in court or to impress your friends with how bad *** you are while still trying to come across as humble.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In case it gets out of control or to get more control to ensure a weapon is not pulled to effect a lawful arrest to prevent a third party engaging against you to cover your actions in court or to impress your friends with how bad *** you are while still trying to come across as humble.

Well that's called pulling out your phone and calling the cops, not screaming for help hoping that someone pops up and rescues you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's called pulling out your phone and calling the cops, not screaming for help hoping that someone pops up and rescues you.

Ok. You can use a combination of both.

Does screaming for help cost you in any way? Considering someone might just come along and help you.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does screaming for help cost you in any way? Considering someone might just come along and help you.

Or come along and think the other person needs help-especially if you "have it under control."

Caught a kid trying to hot-wire my bike in Denver-he came at me with a screwdriver. Not only screamed for help, but, after having him "completely under control," called the cops on my cell phone and stayed on the phone saying that I'd be the guy holding the guy on the ground and talking on the cell phone.

Cops got out of the cars laughing, instead of with their guns drawn....

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. You can use a combination of both.

It just seems weird that you would be screaming for help while you're beating the crap out of someone or choking them. I can't remember a single instance where I've ever seen that happen. Typically, the person catching the beat down is the one screaming for help.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It just seems weird that you would be screaming for help while you're beating the crap out of someone or choking them. I can't remember a single instance where I've ever seen that happen. Typically, the person catching the beat down is the one screaming for help.

We have an instance in the karate girl. And someone did come and help. So as a method I would suggest it has merit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or come along and think the other person needs help-especially if you "have it under control."

Caught a kid trying to hot-wire my bike in Denver-he came at me with a screwdriver. Not only screamed for help, but, after having him "completely under control," called the cops on my cell phone and stayed on the phone saying that I'd be the guy holding the guy on the ground and talking on the cell phone.

Cops got out of the cars laughing, instead of with their guns drawn....

I suplexed a guy in a pub once who I new had some sneaky mates lurking around. And called for help. And in this case it was just random help because I was on my own and him and his friends were trying to terrorize the place.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: screaming for help

Scenario 1: Bad guy jumps me. I block his punches, counter strike, throw him, mount him and submit him. Cops arrive, separate us, and cuff both of us while they sort things out. They interview witnesses to find out what happened and the response is "I don't know. I just looked over and the tall guy was beating the crap out of the other one." Odds are I may spend the night in jail.

Scenario 2: Bad guy jumps me. I scream for help while I block his punches, counter strike, throw him, mount him and submit him. Cops arrive, separate us, and cuff both of us while they sort things out. They interview witnesses to find out what happened and the response is "The tall guy was yelling for help and trying to get away. The other guy got hold of them and then must of tripped and the tall guy ended up on top." Odds are better I get to go home.

One of my old training partners was a cop and he could sustain a steady chorus of "Please don't hurt me! Help! Let me go!" while he "accidentally" stumbled in to his opponent with unobtrusive elbow shots, knees, and trips.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Scenario 1: Bad guy jumps me. I block his punches, counter strike, throw him, mount him and submit him. Cops arrive, separate us, and cuff both of us while they sort things out. They interview witnesses to find out what happened and the response is "I don't know. I just looked over and the tall guy was beating the crap out of the other one." Odds are I may spend the night in jail.

Scenario 2: Bad guy jumps me. I scream for help while I block his punches, counter strike, throw him, mount him and submit him. Cops arrive, separate us, and cuff both of us while they sort things out. They interview witnesses to find out what happened and the response is "The tall guy was yelling for help and trying to get away. The other guy got hold of them and then must of tripped and the tall guy ended up on top." Odds are better I get to go home.

One of my old training partners was a cop and he could sustain a steady chorus of "Please don't hurt me! Help! Let me go!" while he "accidentally" stumbled in to his opponent with unobtrusive elbow shots, knees, and trips.

Pretty much what I'm saying.....I mean, it's dark, and there I am in the parking lot: big black guy holding down a somewhat roughed up, skinny white tweaker......some might insist that I was lucky they didn't shoot me anyway.....
rolling.gif

I didn't get shot, though, or roughed up, or tased, or have to spend time in the police station-I showed my ID, gave a statement, and rode off on my bike.......

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Used to be the thing to do in guard before people realised what it was.

Latest Discussions