Irresponsible Gracie Jiu-Jitsu ad?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heck I thought the add was a bit over the top but I watched it twice :watching:
no I would not buy a GI because of the add But on the other hand I opened a motorcycle parts store once and I'll be darned but we sold more extended forks and springer front ends because of an advertisement for the front end that every single guy that bought and demanded be included in the sale

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
heck I thought the add was a bit over the top but I watched it twice :watching:
no I would not buy a GI because of the add But on the other hand I opened a motorcycle parts store once and I'll be darned but we sold more extended forks and springer front ends because of an advertisement for the front end that every single guy that bought and demanded be included in the sale
Nobody claimed sex doesn't sell but that doesn't make it right. And that ad had nothing to do with BJJ it was selling a Gi or underwear im not really sure

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
agreed
It was an add for BJJ clothing
not that you could tell until you read the final page/scene of it

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody claimed sex doesn't sell but that doesn't make it right. And that ad had nothing to do with BJJ it was selling a Gi or underwear im not really sure

Well it's a Gi for Bjj, and she was performing Bjj techniques while wearing said Bjj Gi, so it had quite a bit to do with Bjj.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's a Gi for Bjj, and she was performing Bjj techniques while wearing said Bjj Gi, so it had quite a bit to do with Bjj.
No she was acting and using special effects in her underwear. It has nothing to do with BJJ. You posted it to be a clown

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People do bjj in their underwear.

look up mma candy.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No she was acting and using special effects in her underwear. It has nothing to do with BJJ. You posted it to be a clown

Every move done in that video is an actual Bjj technique, and well within the capabilities of a Bjj black belt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally I think the commercial is dumb. But the mock outrage is also a little dumb.

because it is sex and not pure violence.

which for some reason people are more hung up about. Triangle choke someone is ok. Sho some undies?

outrageous.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think, for me, it's the undies coupled with the violence. The undies are an unnecessary element. Its just dumb. Just my opinion.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the beginning of the advert, that was the bait. Lets face it, outright showing, or the silhouette of a pair of boobs sell. Does not matter if either way, the makers count on that fact. The shot of the undies was there so that the male brain imagines just as much as the suggestion. In fact it does matter what product was being sold, the advert had an over the top sexual and suggestive content. IMHO it was wrong and quite cringe worthy. Still, whether there is a case for moral outrage or not, the woman in the advert chose to act the part, even if there was a body double. As long as everybody involved in making this sort of stuff, sex will always sell. Just another sad element of society.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because it is sex and not pure violence.

which for some reason people are more hung up about. Triangle choke someone is ok. Sho some undies?

outrageous.

I take it you haven't seen the amount of nudity we have on British and European television and are fine with then if you think it's about being prudish. There's plenty of people who will condemn the ad for the 'violence' alone by the way, we have a lot of people who campaign here to stop MMA.
The ad was creepy for a start, it was also unrealistic in that two burglars would stop, take of their masks and actually wait for the girl to make a move? that they didn't know she was in the shower? Really? it's glamorising a situation that whether or not the girl was a competent martial artist or not is a nightmare scenario for many. Then to show a sexy woman, along with all those 'artistic' shots of her body is adding insult to injury and for what, to sell a piece of clothing. It is a sad reflection on society indeed.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I take it you haven't seen the amount of nudity we have on British and European television and are fine with then if you think it's about being prudish. There's plenty of people who will condemn the ad for the 'violence' alone by the way, we have a lot of people who campaign here to stop MMA.
The ad was creepy for a start, it was also unrealistic in that two burglars would stop, take of their masks and actually wait for the girl to make a move? that they didn't know she was in the shower? Really? it's glamorising a situation that whether or not the girl was a competent martial artist or not is a nightmare scenario for many. Then to show a sexy woman, along with all those 'artistic' shots of her body is adding insult to injury and for what, to sell a piece of clothing. It is a sad reflection on society indeed.

Well to be fair, the two robbers did know she was in the shower, they said that they would be in and out, so the person in the shower wouldn't know they were there. Also one of the robbers did advance on her, which initiated the kick to the stomach.

With that said, do you feel that there were any positives in the advertisement at all?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have sound on my computer. The ad is pitched to a niche market, BJJers so I think it may be giving out a strange message about them, that it's only ok to be female in BJJ if you are a 'hot' woman, those older, younger, bigger or smaller don't bother turning up because this is how women are perceived in BJJ. It's also an ad for BJJ not just garments worn in it so I'd have a think about how you want your art to be portrayed whether as a vehicle for James Bond type females to show off their 'deadly' moves or as a practical useful martial art. I can see that ad turning off a lot of potential students because it's unrealistic, not the techniques but the way they are portrayed. I can see people shrugging their shoulders and looking elsewhere because of the fantasy element in the ad.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have sound on my computer. The ad is pitched to a niche market, BJJers so I think it may be giving out a strange message about them, that it's only ok to be female in BJJ if you are a 'hot' woman, those older, younger, bigger or smaller don't bother turning up because this is how women are perceived in BJJ. It's also an ad for BJJ not just garments worn in it so I'd have a think about how you want your art to be portrayed whether as a vehicle for James Bond type females to show off their 'deadly' moves or as a practical useful martial art. I can see that ad turning off a lot of potential students because it's unrealistic, not the techniques but the way they are portrayed. I can see people shrugging their shoulders and looking elsewhere because of the fantasy element in the ad.

Interesting points Tez. I can definitely see how that sort of thing could potentially turn some people off. I suppose I'm grown used to stuff like MMA candy and similar web series which purposely show women grappling in skimpy clothes, grabbing naughty bits of the body in order to do submissions. I DO cringe at that stuff, and think its unnecessary and over the top.

Anyway, changing gears a bit, I found this ad of children learning MMA and Bjj. I found this interesting because it represents the slow shift of parents having their kids practice MMA and Bjj over traditional kid-friendly arts like TKD (or at least the push from MMA/Bjj gyms to appeal to parents and kids).That said, here's the vid;

I don't think TKD will be dethroned as the world's most popular. MA anytime soon, but what are your thoughts on children and young people learning chokes and armbars as shown in that vid ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hesitate to say that TKD is the world's most popular martial art, I wouldn't say it is here in the UK. Judo has always been very popular for children as are the various styles of karate with Shotokan being probably the most popular. Boxing for children has always been a big thing too. While we do have places that teach just for the money the majority of martial arts clubs are still just that clubs which charge to cover rent, equipment etc and maybe make a bit over so we don't tend to have the after school clubs, black belt clubs and so on as money makers that seem to be a TKD commercial type thing and give it that children's martial arts reputation. Few martial arts clubs/schools have their own properties, most use church and village halls along with school halls and gyms.
We teach our children arm bars and chokes, our instructors first style is Judo so he teaches a lot of that to them along with TSD. When I was doing Wado we also taught arm bars, chokes and take downs to children as well as adults. There is only a difference in intensity and force used between the children's classes and the adults. This I've found is fairly common here. Children's boxing competitions are common here too, many believe that boxing and by extension martial arts teach children more good than bad.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not sure who the ad is for. From what I've seen, female bjj peeps would not appreciate the ad, and it's not targeting men. Seems like an ad for women made by men... And we all know wphow kikely that is to work.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not sure who the ad is for. From what I've seen, female bjj peeps would not appreciate the ad, and it's not targeting men. Seems like an ad for women made by men... And we all know wphow kikely that is to work.

Maybe it is meant for spotty male teens stuck behind computers.

Latest Discussions