ironic things you've heard from a martial artist

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what are some of the most ironic or hilarious things you've heard from or about martial artists?

For myself two things top the list;
A visitor to my dojo once told me "thats no way to treat a yon dan" (4rth black belt).
secondly a friend of mine was working as a security guard at a MA gathering as required for gatherings over 100 people, and called to complain that there was "no fights, just lots of meditation and shogi."

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bet this one happens a lot; when I'm trying to teach a choke and they eventually get it right they get a strangled and guttural "that's excellent!" from me before some ironically happy tapping out.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A newbie on his first day of iaido class, "Oh I don't need a wooden sword, I brought my own authentic ninja sword."

A newbie on his first day of jodo class, "Oh well why wouldn't you have free sparing with a jo and bokken? it just can't be any good then".

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bet this one happens a lot; when I'm trying to teach a choke and they eventually get it right they get a strangled and guttural "that's excellent!" from me before some ironically happy tapping out.

Similar...

As a student, I've been hit mighty hard by a few fellow karateka in dojo, and I never thought my first response to being planted on my butt by a punch or kick would be to jump to my feet and say "Wow, what a shot, that was great!" But it's honest admiration that I feel, even if I'm a trifle embarrassed that I didn't manage to stop it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here. I've even laughed. "That was awesome! I can't believe I didn't see that!"

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kinda similar.... I've been known, when stepping in to be Uke for a student to learn to apply a technique properly, say things such as "No, that's not right... see how I'm still standing? Try again..."

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When someone (usually a man) lands a pop to my face or head, and says, "Are you okay?" My response is, "Of course. Are YOU?"

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Me a few years back when a "new" wristlock or technique was applied on me by sensei or advanced student: "WOW! That was awesome! Can you do it on me again? PLEASE??!!" :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yup. Never before have I seen so many guys respond to a groin kick by groaning, dropping to the ground and saying, "Nice shot!"

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once attended a week long class put on by teachers from a well known company that makes it living instructing LEO's..One of the teachers started the class by stating that " all martial arts are bullsheet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Guy holding seminar picks me out of the crowd to do a demo, I was the biggest there so I guess I was what he wanted. He grabs me and (because of Taiji) instinctively I relax. What he is trying fails and he says you can’t do that… I ask what…he says…you can’t relax or this won’t work

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me at a Hapkido seminar. I was working with another student who was trying to put a joint lock on me but wasn't getting it to work. I asked the instructor, a Korean 8th dan who could throw you around with ease, if he could demonstrate what the other student was missing for him.

From my knees on the mat: "See how he's doing it?"

Pax,

Chris

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, there was the night that I was working with a student... and he finally gets the kick right -- but missed the target, kicking me square in the chin. "Good job; next time, let's try to hit the shield..."

Student: "You're bleeding!" Me: "OK; still, next time hit the target."

(Actually, ended up getting several stitches.)

(I know... not really ironic. But neither were some of the others.)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me, in a deadpan tone, to my sparring partner, after receiving a barefisted (he forgot to bring his sparring gear...) full contact shot to the side of the nose, resulting in a deep cut:

"We need to stop now for your safety."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor when describing a fighter will say sadly, 'he doesn't like being hit in the head.'
You mean there's people out there who do?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well a few years ago maybe even ten or so, one of George Dillman students was ata seminar and he ask me to be his uki while he was going to do his no touch knockout. I guess I looked out of shape and such and he thought I would fall or something but I swear I never felt anything and he was laugh at by alot of people. I am not starting a war just answering the question.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a few years ago maybe even ten or so, one of George Dillman students was ata seminar and he ask me to be his uki while he was going to do his no touch knockout. I guess I looked out of shape and such and he thought I would fall or something but I swear I never felt anything and he was laugh at by alot of people. I am not starting a war just answering the question.

Funny you should mention him! I've been at two seminars now where one of his instructors has been teaching, the first one he did a 'no touch' KO, of course it 'worked' as he chose one of his own students but I had to cover my hands over my mouth so the sound of my laughter wasn't heard! He wouldn't use anyone else as uke as it was too dangerous so Terry you could have been risking your life there you know! :uhohh: yeah, right!
The last one he did pressure point KOs, same thing only with a slight touch to the pressure points in the neck, same dramatic falling down, same laughter from me. My other half was watching this time and he couldn't believe it either, we laughed long and loud later I'm afraid!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

You must have had your big toe in the wrong position. From what I hear, that is the counter to no-touch knockouts.

:)

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"You have to block with the edge, not the palm, like this, because, you know, for real life."

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Me. Saying "thank you" to a Grandmaster at a recent seminar who demonstrated a series of finger lock controls on me for the other participants, while I flopped around the room like a beheaded chicken. The pain was intense.

Latest Discussions