WSL seminar footage

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saw this posted on another forum and figured I'd post it here. Enjoy.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like he is teaching applications from the Chum Kiu form. Oh wait, that can't be right! ;)

And take a look at the 7:45 mark. WSL is showing using a rising punch to defend against an opponent's incoming punch. He is standing on the outside, but is turned away from the opponent. There is no way he can use his rear hand. All the opponent would have to do is relax that lead arm and WSL's punch would do nothing. It wouldn't turn him or disrupt his balance. This only works because the opponent is giving him a "stiff Man Sau". As WSL pivots towards him with the wrong side forward, he is moving directly towards the opponent's rear hand. So all that the opponent would have to do is relax that lead arm as WSL punches and then fire off his own rear hand punch. WSL has put himself in a very risky position! And he is not even close enough for his own punch to land! He should have stepped in with a pivot. He has left too much distance between himself and the opponent and has relied upon bashing the guy's lead arm as his only real defense. And all the guy has to do is relax that lead arm so his balanced isn't affected then fire off that rear hand!

See how easy it is to "nit-pick" a demo video? :rolleyes:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Looks like he is teaching applications from the Chum Kiu form. Oh wait, that can't be right! ;)

And take a look at the 7:45 mark. WSL is showing using a rising punch to defend against an opponent's incoming punch. He is standing on the outside, but is turned away from the opponent. There is no way he can use his rear hand. All the opponent would have to do is relax that lead arm and WSL's punch would do nothing. It wouldn't turn him or disrupt his balance. This only works because the opponent is giving him a "stiff Man Sau". As WSL pivots towards him with the wrong side forward, he is moving directly towards the opponent's rear hand. So all that the opponent would have to do is relax that lead arm as WSL punches and then fire off his own rear hand punch. WSL has put himself in a very risky position! And he is not even close enough for his own punch to land! He should have stepped in with a pivot. He has left too much distance between himself and the opponent and has relied upon bashing the guy's lead arm as his only real defense. And all the guy has to do is relax that lead arm so his balanced isn't affected then fire off that rear hand!

See how easy it is to "nit-pick" a demo video? :rolleyes:
no disrepect intended. just an outside observation.

you are the definition of butthurt. it's honestly exhausting to witness.
I'd rather read a certain user's rather dry and slightly tactless comments (and your own informative and technical ones) than your constant, personally charged bickering...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. I'd rather do without the drawn-out bickering, period.

Now as for the demo clip... that was cool. And unlike some who stress the difference between different branches of WT, I saw a lot there that looked very familiar to me and I come from a different branch of YM VT. Some subtitles would have been really nice, though.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. I'd rather do without the drawn-out bickering, period.

Now as for the demo clip... that was cool. And unlike some who stress the difference between different branches of WT, I saw a lot there that looked very familiar to me and I come from a different branch of YM VT. Some subtitles would have been really nice, though.

Yeah but....what about the "stiff Man Sau" thing? That was your primary disagreement with one of the recent TWC videos I posted. You don't think the same applies here? There are just as many holes and vulnerabilities in what is shown in that WSL clip at that time mark than there are in the TWC videos I've posted.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
no disrepect intended. just an outside observation.

you are the definition of butthurt. it's honestly exhausting to witness.
I'd rather read a certain user's rather dry and slightly tactless comments (and your own informative and technical ones) than your constant, personally charged bickering...

I'm just making a point. I've done my best not to engaged in a drawn out argument with LFJ this time around, but others just seem to encourage him. I think its pretty exhausting as well. And it certainly doesn't encourage me (and I'm sure others) to try and post clips and such to share some of the approaches in their Wing Chun. Do you realize that LFJ has launched an all out negative technical critique of every TWC video I have posted, and refused to listen to or acknowledge attempts to explain what is actually happening in the video? That certainly doesn't make me want to try and share and discuss anything further. So why aren't you speaking out against some of his crap, rather than speaking out here?

Last edited:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm just making a point. I've done my best not to engaged in a drawn out argument with LFJ this time around, but others just seem to encourage him. I think its pretty exhausting as well. And it certainly doesn't encourage me (and I'm sure others) to try and post clips and such to share some of the approaches in their Wing Chun. Do you realize that LFJ has launched an all out negative technical critique of every TWC video I have posted, and refused to listen to or acknowledge attempts to explain what is actually happening in the video? That certainly doesn't make me want to try and share and discuss anything further. So why aren't you speaking out against some of his crap, rather than speaking out here?

I see no LFJ here. Just you.
It's tiring to come to a thread I was interested in and see that the very first response is you "just making a point" against LFJ. I'm not trying to invalidate anything you've said here; I'm well aware of the history of arguments.
If you want to defend whatever from online attack then fine. But yet again we've come to a thread that could've been neat only to read your preemptive point making that's already started this thread down an all too familiar path..

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see no LFJ here. Just you.
It's tiring to come to a thread I was interested in and see that the very first response is you "just making a point" against LFJ. I'm not trying to invalidate anything you've said here; I'm well aware of the history of arguments.
If you want to defend whatever from online attack then fine. But yet again we've come to a thread that could've been neat only to read your preemptive point making that's already started this thread down an all too familiar path..

You mean like LFJ has with every thread I've started lately? Yeah, still making a point. Is this the only thread you've read? Why not speak out on the others? I'm tired of it too, and about ready to stop posting at all. Getting crap from you as well as others just pushes me that much further in that direction.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean like LFJ has with every thread I've started lately? Yeah, still making a point. Is this the only thread you've read? Why not speak out on the others? I'm tired of it too, and about ready to stop posting at all. Getting crap from you as well as others just pushes me that much further in that direction.

LFJ does this in your thread, you do it in his. I am guessing it is at a point now where noone knows or cares who started it. Why bother trying to get either of you to stop when neither is interested. But at least the in the other thread recently does not seem like bad ones. I rather enjoyed them because it was a very thorough breakdown of his opinion and what causes him to have those.

Now as for your argument it is flawed here sorry. I do not want to say this in truth but have to. WSL is not doing an application demo. He is demonstrating an understanding, a concept of elbow and force. I would not call that application but rather of explaining a concept. To me that attack seems to explain something that my teacher have been telling us as well. I recognize it all too well which makes me believe this is what WSL is trying to show/explain.

Difference being that he is showing different methods and probably explaining his preferred view on things. At least from what it looks like as I understand nothing spoken.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
LFJ does this in your thread, you do it in his.

---I do what in his? He hasn't started any threads! He does nothing independently. He just sits back and watches for something to criticize. You haven't noticed that? Check his profile and see how many threads he has started. I only posted on this thread what I did because the timing was so perfect. People were jumping on the "ifs and buts" bandwagon on the videos on my thread and suddenly a demo video of the great Wong Shun Leung himself appears. I didn't post it. But it was the perfect opportunity to make the point that you can "if and but" and criticize ANY demo video! But for some reason people (and not just LJF) seem to have it out for TWC.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
LFJ does this in your thread, you do it in his.

---I do what in his? He hasn't started any threads! He does nothing independently. He just sits back and watches for something to criticize. You haven't noticed that? Check his profile and see how many threads he has started. I only posted on this thread what I did because the timing was so perfect. People were jumping on the "ifs and buts" bandwagon on the videos on my thread and suddenly a demo video of the great Wong Shun Leung himself appears. I didn't post it. But it was the perfect opportunity to make the point that you can "if and but" and criticize ANY demo video! But for some reason people (and not just LJF) seem to have it out for TWC.

Sorry I did not mean something bad by this. I have been gone for quite a long time and it was like that when I left. Now when I am back I falsely assumed things. Something I should not do so therefore I apologize if I was wrong by speaking out about stuff I did not confirm first.

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but....what about the "stiff Man Sau" thing? That was your primary disagreement with one of the recent TWC videos I posted. You don't think the same applies here? There are just as many holes and vulnerabilities in what is shown in that WSL clip at that time mark than there are in the TWC videos I've posted.

Hey, that was another thread with a very distinct topic. If you wan't to copy and paste the OP's WSL demo over on to that other thread just to drag out your argument with LFJ, be my guest. It just doesn't seem appropriate to do that here.

Here's a thought, next time LFJ makes a comment you disagree with, state your case once (for the benefit of the rest of us) and then just ignore him. You aren't going to change his mind, and he will always come back with a response.... so why play that game? It leads nowhere.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This most recent time he had all you guys agreeing with him and egging him on. I'm not going to sit back and not point out how what was being said was not accurate. You guys were playing right into his game. He gave a critical analysis and I answered it point by point. I was willing to drop it then. But he just kept restating the same things and you guys agreed with him. So here's a thought. How about not encouraging his kind of behavior?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now as for your argument it is flawed here sorry. I do not want to say this in truth but have to. WSL is not doing an application demo. He is demonstrating an understanding, a concept of elbow and force. I would not call that application but rather of explaining a concept.

Correct. Entirely different from application demos.
The idea is simply to punch directly from point to point.
It doesn't matter if an arm is even there or not.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
This most recent time he had all you guys agreeing with him and egging him on. I'm not going to sit back and not point out how what was being said was not accurate. You guys were playing right into his game. He gave a critical analysis and I answered it point by point. I was willing to drop it then. But he just kept restating the same things and you guys agreed with him. So here's a thought. How about not encouraging his kind of behavior?

In other words;

Everyone please agree with me no matter what, even if you find my answers are invalid.

Just don't let that meanie LFJ win! Please, guys!

Look, KPM, you are in a 1-man competition. Neither I, nor anyone else is concerned with winning or losing.
And one thing is for certain, no one here is interested in helping me win anything! lol

We are simply engaging in technical discussion. Not everyone is going to agree with you.
When everyone disagrees with you, even my other "forum rivals" who usually agree with you, that might prompt you to take a more objective look at things, and perhaps gain insight.

Or, you can choose to believe that everyone else is nuts and just doesn't know what you know, and then sit back complacently and let all the fools believe what they want.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Correct. Entirely different from application demos.
The idea is simply to punch directly from point to point.
It doesn't matter if an arm is even there or not.

Yeah, don't you see Phobius? WSL was not teaching ANY applications from Chum Kiu throughout that clip. Not once was he showing how a movement in the form should work in real-time against an opponent! ;)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, don't you see Phobius? WSL was not teaching ANY applications from Chum Kiu throughout that clip. Not once was he showing how a movement in the form should work in real-time against an opponent! ;)

I realize this is sarcasm, but yes, Phobius does see.
He is the one that told you this to begin with.
Hard to say why you still do not see.