Internal arts and overall health/wellness

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine just went through a risky surgical procedure. While I was driving her back home yesterday, I heard a disturbing amount of defeat in her voice. While it bothered me to hear her tone of voice, I could understand her frustration. She has been through an incredibly rough time...including many trips under the knife, and she is a lady that is only a few years older than me. Watching her suffer through her battles has been very humbling and has left me with a rather unnerving sense of mortality.

Understandably, there are many benefits to most types of MA training. Fitness, strength training, resiliency...but a nagging question in my mind is...what about overall wellness for the body (or mind/body/spirit)?

On MT as well as a few other places I have been reading about how some of the internal arts such as Tai Chi and Qi Gong have tremendous health benefits. Why is that so and how are the benefits different than the other arts?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I could probably give you a better answer if the room wasn't spinning right now

Now there's a good add for the health benefits of internal MA from an internal CMA guy:)

But I will give it a shot.

Tai Chi is at least in the beginning teaching people to relax in the form/postures. It is also teaching people how to use the mind to move the energy in the body to move the body. This helps open Qi Channels. Also it is training breathing, and breathing correctly is always a good thing.

Qi Gong does much the same. But I generally do not recommend Qigong training unless you have a VERY qualified teacher that has been doing Qigong for many many years. You need someone that can tell you how to fix yourself should you get into a problem. Deep levels of Qigong can be dangerous without a very qualified teacher.

There is one I know of in Boston (Old taoist, 80 years training, and he looks like he is 60), but I do not now where he teaches or if he teaches Qigong there. He does teach tai chi there, someplace, I believe on Sunday mornings.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
A friend of mine just went through a risky surgical procedure. While I was driving her back home yesterday, I heard a disturbing amount of defeat in her voice. While it bothered me to hear her tone of voice, I could understand her frustration. She has been through an incredibly rough time...including many trips under the knife, and she is a lady that is only a few years older than me. Watching her suffer through her battles has been very humbling and has left me with a rather unnerving sense of mortality.

Understandably, there are many benefits to most types of MA training. Fitness, strength training, resiliency...but a nagging question in my mind is...what about overall wellness for the body (or mind/body/spirit)?

On MT as well as a few other places I have been reading about how some of the internal arts such as Tai Chi and Qi Gong have tremendous health benefits. Why is that so and how are the benefits different than the other arts?

Simply, happy people live longer. It is MA for some. It may be running, dancing, swimming, reading, gardening, prayer, etc, etc. No matter from where it comes from positive mental attitude is invaluable to one's health, be it physical or emotional. Some people (such as my wife) can relax listening to CD's of nature sounds. They drive me nuts. Different strokes for different folks. I don't want to sound like I am downplaying the benefits of Tai Chi and Qi Gong. The larger benefit may come from BELIEVING in the benefit. Belief and faith have helped many bridge the gap between where they are and what is possible.

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is a partial quote from an article I wrote

"The main purpose for qigong is to move the natural energy in our bodies to prevent “clogging” or disruptions. The energy movement correlates with blood and oxygen flow, and depending on personal beliefs it can travel through our circulatory systems, meridians, charkas or other pathways. The important factor is that the mind (yi) controls the breath and through this combination we can direct and move the energy. This is done through patience, relaxation, and an open mind. So whether you are practicing qigong with specific movements, static posture qigong, sitting qigong, or any other method, you must practice it with relaxation and intent. When practicing moving qigong the body must remain relaxed and non-stressed, the movements of qigong should not be forced or exerting, but done with relaxation and intent."

Each internal art promaotes health and longevity, each share certain aspects and each have there own "specialty", if you will.

Baguazhang stimulates the spine through soft and gentle twisting actions, it keeps the joints supple and mobil, and genlty stretches the tendons and muscles. The movement of blood and oxygen through out our bodies is vital for health and longevity and the movements of the internal arts help promote this flow. through slow and relaxed movements we are able to feel our bodies and become more aware of ourselves, or grounded. the slow and concentrated movements also allow us to reduce stress by physical and mental activity.

if you beleive in qi, then baguazhang is a major factor of qi developement, storage, movement and use. learning to direct the qi from the ground up allows our channels to open and unclog. learning how to direct the qi to many areas brings health and vitallity through the healing properties of this natural energy.
One of my baguazhang "big brothers" is Jim Kepner, a goolge search will reveal his brillant work with energy and his world reknown status as a energy worker, I have felt and witnessed his use of energy a whole bunch of times and he has helped me unclogg many areas of my body.
Another of my baguazhang "big brothers" is Bill Kohner a healer in his own right and i have the pleasure of working with him atleast twice a week and am always amazed at his level of energy, you would never guess he is 60 years old, he is in incredible physical shape, and a great internal martial artist, and one heck of a kick butt fighter.
i myself have had the fortunate abilty to heal myself of life long afflictions that western medicine could not even touch, in my pictures you may notice the deep scarring on my face and neck, this is due to acne that plague me from 12 years old till my earl 30's, with qigong and neigong I have virtually eliminated the acne and have also improved the scarring on my face. I also have had exzema since I can remember, agian I have learned to control it with qi and nei gong.

just my two cents

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having gone under the knife myself a couple of years ago, and a stay in the hospital that wasn't fun, for me, the biggest correlation between the arts and that experience was not quitting although I felt like it at times.
Both my dad, and my first real good martial arts instructor, were people who set an example for me to not quit no matter what.
Being in good shape previous to the surgery was a huge help, but equally important was attitude.
I firmly believe that if you can master martial arts, then you can master anything. That is a motto I repeat to my students often.
I have since fully recovered where I think many that may have had a different attitude, wouldn't have recovered from this experience.
After I had recovered, my doctor stated he was surprised at my full recovery and stated that had I not been in such good shape or had such a strong will, I probably wouldn't have made it.
I think development of will and spirit in the arts is at least as important as the physical development.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Enjoyment has health benefits (whether it be MA, cooking, walking in parks, bench pressing, etc.).

NLMontana

White Belt
Reaction score
Master Carol --

It is all about energy.

Our thoughts and feelings occur simultaneously, and generate an electromagnetic impulse in our brains. This has been happening since were were born. With every thought and feeling, we are creating more electromagnetic energy, which builds and builds over the course of our lives, and creates the aura of who we are. This energy actually becomes denser and more physical, until we see the illusion of our physical being. We're just a bunch of atoms and molecules dancing around in harmony with our thoughts and feelings.

The key to changing our physical structure is to alter our thoughts and feelings. Through practicing the forms of the most traditional of martial arts (esp. Tai-Chi and Kung Fu -- sorry, I am quite partial), we are actually physically altering the structure of our thoughts and feelings. Through the practice of form, we are aligning our energy with the highest frequencies of the Universal Life Force, the Tai-Chi.

If you choose to recommend Tai-Chi to your friend, ensure that she also studies Reiki, as the energy of the arts has accelerated and it is essential that both disciplines be studied to acquire true harmony. Same goes for Kung Fu, and any of the other most traditional of the arts.

In the alternative, encourage your friend to have a Reiki treatment by a Master. If nothing else, she will find exquisite peace for an hour.

I hope your friend is able to find long-term peace.

Best regards.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NLMontana said:
If you choose to recommend Tai-Chi to your friend, ensure that she also studies Reiki...
In the alternative, encourage your friend to have a Reiki treatment by a Master.
one of the most ridiculous pieces of "advice" i've ever seen put in writing.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
NLMontana said:
We're just a bunch of atoms and molecules dancing around in harmony with our thoughts and feelings.
(..)
Through the practice of form, we are aligning our energy with the highest frequencies of the Universal Life Force, the Tai-Chi.

And how many hertz is this frequenzy exactly? My "bunch of molecules" are having trouble tuning in.
:lool:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NLMontana said:
If you choose to recommend Tai-Chi to your friend, ensure that she also studies Reiki, as the energy of the arts has accelerated and it is essential that both disciplines be studied to acquire true harmony. Same goes for Kung Fu, and any of the other most traditional of the arts.

pete said:

I absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt have to agree with you on this one pete.

Reiki is allegedly Japanese and comes from Tui Na which is Chinese, and I will stop here.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
pete said:

What's ridiculous about it? I'm not knocking you, or NLMontana, just a bit confused. :)

All of it? Part of it?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai said:
What's ridiculous about it? I'm not knocking you, or NLMontana, just a bit confused. :)

All of it? Part of it? And yeah, Reiki is Japanese.

Nothing against reiki but it is not required in any way shape of form to understand progress at, excel at, or attain true harmony in any Chinese martial art, or any martial art for that matter.

This to me, sounds like just another veiled comment about spirituality in Martial arts clap trap that has absolutely nothing to do with the original CMA. Could be I’m to close to the issue, but I have heard the same comment from people in regards to Crystal energy, although reiki is much more viable than crystal energy.

Can the study of reiki help? Possibly. Is it required? Absolutely not. Tai chi is Chinese and I believe older than Reiki and it has done quite well without it for many years in China.

I seriously doubt any of the current or past members of the now 6 recognized Tai Chi families ever studied Reiki. I also seriously doubt Reiki is studied by the majority of the internal CMA, or external for that matter, people from the past or in the present.

You can study Qigong, Tui Na, Qinna, Acupuncture, or any other thing you wish, but to say ensure they study Reiki with Tai Chi… give me a break.

And to be entirely honest if you are truly studying an internal CMA there are already in existence Qigong training that is part of it.

NLMontana

White Belt
Reaction score
What a shame that you all are so shortsighted about the evolution of your arts.

The calligraphies that form the basis of Reiki are in the most traditional of the martial arts forms. Like it or not, Reiki is accelerated Tai-Chi and Kung Fu (and other of the most traditional of our arts). The existence of these symbols in the forms has been validated by martial artists across the country.

How, then, can you deny that these systems are both one and the same? How can you deny that your physical system has evolved beyond the physical to something you will never be able to begin to touch because of your shortsightedness? If we choose to study and master one of these arts, we must choose to study the others. Their interdependency cannot be denied, just because you choose to not see it.

And if you do not know that your kata are based upon a science of calligraphies found in the Sanskrit Sutras, then you need to learn the higher order of your arts.

What a shame for you if you choose not to. But have a good time blasting me to the wall, because there are many masters who are ready to finally grasp this. Not to worry, gentlemen, I will not be expecting your knock on my door.

Regards,

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NLMontana said:
What a shame that you all are so shortsighted about the evolution of your arts.

The calligraphies that form the basis of Reiki are in the most traditional of the martial arts forms. Like it or not, Reiki is accelerated Tai-Chi and Kung Fu (and other of the most traditional of our arts). The existence of these symbols in the forms has been validated by martial artists across the country.

How, then, can you deny that these systems are both one and the same? How can you deny that your physical system has evolved beyond the physical to something you will never be able to begin to touch because of your shortsightedness? If we choose to study and master one of these arts, we must choose to study the others. Their interdependency cannot be denied, just because you choose to not see it.

And if you do not know that your kata are based upon a science of calligraphies found in the Sanskrit Sutras, then you need to learn the higher order of your arts.

What a shame for you if you choose not to. But have a good time blasting me to the wall, because there are many masters who are ready to finally grasp this. Not to worry, gentlemen, I will not be expecting your knock on my door.

Regards,

Condescension and insults from one so enlightened, nice.

So your claiming Chen Chang-Xing and Yang Lu-Chan knew Reiki and possibly Sun Lutang knew Sanskrit?

Xingyi, Bagua, Liu he ba fa, Tai Chi all come form Sanskrit and or follow calligraphy? OK, whose calligraphy?

And as a point of accuracy, there is nothing called a kata in Traditional Chinese martial arts.

And if I may ask, what styles of internal Chinese Martial arts do you train in? And if Tai Chi what family style and who is or was your teacher? If you do not with to answer that's ok too.

Sorry, but I have trained traditional internal Chinese martial arts for many years, mainly Tai Chi and Xingyi. I also have trained in Qigong and I have never heard of any of what you are talking about.

NLMontana

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes, Master, and the comments on my writing were so enlightened. I was not being condescending. I was just expressing my frustration and, yes, anger, at the brick wall that I (and others) so often come against when discussing this. Understood, of course, but frustrating nonetheless.

Reiki was developed in the 1800's. Of course the old schools do not teach it and were not aware of it. But it does exist now. And when it was developed, the process altered the structure of the Tai-Chi. It accelerated it.

In answer to your question, I study and teach a system called Shihando, Way of the Master. It teaches the alchemy of the disciplines of Reiki and Juai Kung Karbo, a martial arts system developed by Grandmaster Bert Rodriguez of Florida. That system incorporates Yang Style Tai-Chi forms and Shaolin Style Kung Fu forms.

I know of several people, some of them Reiki Masters and some Martial Arts Masters, who have been blown off when attempting to even discuss this with martial artists. For you who call yourselves Masters of your arts, I find this fascinating that you would not want to learn that the higher order of your arts has been accelerated due to the development of Reiki, and that you would not want to learn it.

But, alas, it is not for everyone. It is for the true Masters. And I am sure you will have a good time with this writing, also, but I will not be here to see it, as I am leaving this area for awhile and will not have access to a computer. I will check it out when I return.

I will, however, send your regards to Orson, Grasshopper.

Regards,

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
NLMontana said:
Ah, yes, Master, and the comments on my writing were so enlightened. I was not being condescending. I was just expressing my frustration and, yes, anger, at the brick wall that I (and others) so often come against when discussing this. Understood, of course, but frustrating nonetheless.

Reiki was developed in the 1800's. Of course the old schools do not teach it and were not aware of it. But it does exist now. And when it was developed, the process altered the structure of the Tai-Chi. It accelerated it.

In answer to your question, I study and teach a system called Shihando, Way of the Master. It teaches the alchemy of the disciplines of Reiki and Juai Kung Karbo, a martial arts system developed by Grandmaster Bert Rodriguez of Florida. That system incorporates Yang Style Tai-Chi forms and Shaolin Style Kung Fu forms.

I know of several people, some of them Reiki Masters and some Martial Arts Masters, who have been blown off when attempting to even discuss this with martial artists. For you who call yourselves Masters of your arts, I find this fascinating that you would not want to learn that the higher order of your arts has been accelerated due to the development of Reiki, and that you would not want to learn it.

But, alas, it is not for everyone. It is for the true Masters. And I am sure you will have a good time with this writing, also, but I will not be here to see it, as I am leaving this area for awhile and will not have access to a computer. I will check it out when I return.

Regards,

I will have, whatever that man is on. :) DING! DING! My parents are heavily into Reiki, have been for over a decade. They've researched, studied, trained and spoken to many masters, they ALSO study tai chi, and have NEVER made any connection between them, nor have they said that reiki will lead to the higher understanding of that art. They've not said that they're mutually exclusive I grant you, but making claims such as you have, to very experienced people, sounds as though "you alone" know "the truth" tm of this. THAT is condescending. Just a thought?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NLMontana said:

Regards,

You can honestly write comments like "it is not for everyone. It is for the true Masters" and also believe you are not being condescending, that says a lot actually.

And believe me I have no desire to enlighten anyone; I just deal in facts, especially historic facts when it comes to Chinese Martial arts.

Now let me say I am not a master nor would I ever claim to be. And a point you may want to be aware of, since I train Northern styles the term "Grandmaster" is well less than flattering in the North.

The insinuation that Tai Chi is changed or made better by Rieki shows an incredible lack of understanding of Tai Chi.

And you are basically saying you never really studied Tai chi or kung fu I take it, just Shihando, which the only reference to talks about Reiki.

And whom did Grandmaster Bert Rodriguez learn Tai Chi from?

And I too get rather angry and frustrated at those that attempt to change a martial art. Particularly Tai Chi, to suite there needs instead of taking the time to truly study it and understand it. I run into this way to often.

Now since you did not answer all of my questions specifically the calligraphy one, let me give you a little back ground on Internal martial arts.

Xingyi, Bagua, Tai Chi and Liu he Ba fa all have roots in Taoism. All are based on the 5 elements and 8 trigrams. The 5 elements and 8 trigrams come from the Tao Te Qing and I Ching, which once again bring us back to Taoism. Taoism, by the way, is indigenous to China. I am sorry to inform you that they are not based on calligraphy or Sanskrit. If you choose to believe that go right ahead. But I suggest before you start insinuating others are lesser martial artiest than you because we do not include reiki that you study the real history behind these martial arts and not make it up to fit your views.

I hate to use a name here, but it is necessary to make a point, The next time I see Master Chen Zhenglei I will be sure to tell him he should stop teaching his family style and study reiki.

Now I could go on but I can sum up everything just by saying you remind me very much of someone I meant many years ago who told me "I don't DO martial arts. I do Tai Chi"

Hope you had a safe trip

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not know of the differnce between hard and soft styles when it comes to health benefits but I do know one story that is prof of the health benefits of atleast Tai Chi. He had some illness that gave him about a year to live. He had heard of the benefits of doing Tai Chi and so at 58 took up the practice. He died 74 after being hit by a car. The gentle man would have probably lived anouther 30 years if it wasn't for the drunk driver.

Latest Discussions