Yours was a very "forward" art

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu in Kajukenbo asked me that about a week ago. I am having a hard time with the kajukenbo fighting stance and often find myself doing doing a KF hand position, and much of the time 5-star guard ends up being my fighting position.

My sifu, ever patient, says "you studied a very forward martial art". Ummm.. I guess! It's one of the MA quandries I have.. Foreward art as opposed to what? A backwards art?

My uneducated opinions are of course of little consequense. But here's what my noob mind says.. Of course, keep your guard forward. Keep your hands so you can block high or low fast at any moment. I see the rest of the students putting two fists wherever they feel comfortable with them. Why out to the side? Why in front of your face? Why fists?

I seek explanation for my why's. Not to prove my own opinions, but to learn.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He may mean more agressive and where kajukenbo may react on the defensive.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
He may mean more agressive and where kajukenbo may react on the defensive.

That doesn't ring true. I can defend myself far better with my hands in your face... Off to the side, I have so far to go in order to block a strike.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite what I meant. Keep in mind I don't know your instructor or you and how things happen I am going by something typed on a message board.

If you say you can defend better with your hands in someones face then my guess is you are a more agressive fighter rather then one who waits for the attack. That is what I meant when I said what I did.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
he may mean that the offensiveness is obvious. were as styles like (for example) tai chi are not as forward. since it is rarely as obevious that a tai chi guy can beat you up

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
he may mean that the offensiveness is obvious. were as styles like (for example) tai chi are not as forward. since it is rarely as obevious that a tai chi guy can beat you up
Exactly what I was getting at only much better worded.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
My Sifu in Kajukenbo asked me that about a week ago. I am having a hard time with the kajukenbo fighting stance and often find myself doing doing a KF hand position, and much of the time 5-star guard ends up being my fighting position.

My sifu, ever patient, says "you studied a very forward martial art". Ummm.. I guess! It's one of the MA quandries I have.. Foreward art as opposed to what? A backwards art?

My uneducated opinions are of course of little consequense. But here's what my noob mind says.. Of course, keep your guard forward. Keep your hands so you can block high or low fast at any moment. I see the rest of the students putting two fists wherever they feel comfortable with them. Why out to the side? Why in front of your face? Why fists?

I seek explanation for my why's. Not to prove my own opinions, but to learn.

If you bend your ankle/knees and hips one can lean a lot more than with with ones' legs straighter. Now I do not know the exact position so please no insult meant. He might mean you are leaning a little more forward than he does. See if shifting your body weight back just a little helps with this issue.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
If you bend your ankle/knees and hips one can lean a lot more than with with ones' legs straighter. Now I do not know the exact position so please no insult meant. He might mean you are leaning a little more forward than he does. See if shifting your body weight back just a little helps with this issue.

My ankles/knees are typically doing cat stance, at least at first before I realize I'm using the wrong muscle memory. The other students do a front stance, like that from TSD or TKD, and I do my best to emulate it. I am a sucky kajukenbo student because I am so KF oriented... I never say "this is better". I do as Sifu does, that is my duty. But try as I might, a front stance with fists to the side feels weak and disoriented.

My apologies for expressing that.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have been practicing kung fu for a long time the change will be difficult until you get used to it. I think Okinawan Shorin Ryu or even goju ryu would have probably fit better.

Latest Discussions