Insomnia Cures?

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey tess and chad, i know what maybe causing part of your sleeping problem is that you both recently started a new system for fitness too. your bodies are probably trying to catch up with your mental who is telling it it must sleep. i personally like the couple glasses of wine, with the jacuzz for about 15-30 minutes. then take a facial pack that you can throw in the microwave and heat that and wear it....puts me right to bed. there's also this one stuff called glugwine (?), it's german, and it's almost like an apple cider with warm wine that makes me see sheep....my problem is not having enough energy, all the more reason why i have multi-vitamins

OP
S

Spud

I'll recite the Lord's Prayer a for about 2-5 minutes and that seems to click the switch on my mind.

I'm not a church kind of guy, but the repition seems to help. I suppose one could do it with any sort of verse.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes conditioning is an amazing thing.

My advisor has told me about another professor's wife - when she had one of their children, she was not able to have milk letdowns when the baby wanted to feed. The doctor set her up with conditioning herself to do something before every nursing session. She would drink a glass of water, and then nurse.

The conditioning worked, and she had milk letdowns, but it became so specified that it would only work if she used a particular mug.

My advisor was told this at a gathering at the couple's house, when he was drinking out of the mug, and they said, Oh, it's the nursing mug!

OP
M

MikeMartial

KenpoTess said:
maybe I should knock ya out.. *yeah that's the ticket* ;)
I bet that'd work just fine :)

Well, 5:30 AM. Was in bed by 10 because I didn't sleep last night, and I was wide-eyed at 2. Grr. And I have a 10 hour dayshift ahead of me.

I swear, I wish I was 18 again.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Snickers* Yeah, now maybe it best be a Dual knockout~!

Today I was wide awake at 5:30 am... no reason at all to get up so early, was asleep by midnite.. I quit~!!

Jani, You have a very good point~!! Besides the workout, the new Construction career prolly has something to do with it eh~!!

~Tess

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yep tess the construction probably has something along that line...i know when we were doing our house i was up every morning 6 am to get ready for school and i would be up til like 12am -2 sometimes 3 am that night with like 1 hrs. of sleep let me tell you that so sucked....i like my sleep...another thing that i like that also helps is decaffinated tea with some milk and honey....and sometimes even a hot bubble bath just to get relaxed...also the nature sounding cd's of oceans, or wind, and things like that puts me right now, i normally like to go with soft playing piano music or flute set very low.

OP
J

jaymo

i'd have to agree with the person who suggested sexual activity. i have also found having a snack before bed will zonk me out.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jaymo said:
i'd have to agree with the person who suggested sexual activity. i have also found having a snack before bed will zonk me out.
Hmmm. I wonder if prostitues could get away with prostitution if they sold their services as "Sleep Aids" as opposed to...

Wait... what the heck am I thinkin...

:O

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chamomile tea often works as a mild seditive, just don't add sugar.

Also try eating some turkey. "There is a way to take advantage of the tryptophan in turkey. If you have trouble getting to sleep one night while there is still leftover turkey in the refrigerator, you could have a late snack of turkey and that, nutritionists say, might be the right amount of tryptophan on an empty stomach to help produce some serotonin." from http://home.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

JPR

OP
M

MikeMartial

Blooming Lotus said:
meditate on / resolve whatever is keeping you up.BL
Good advice, but easier said than done :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Stay away from all coffee! tea or cola too!

Well, I learned a trick in my new yoga class. We go into this corpse pose, love the name, on your back. Arms by your side, all comfy. Then concentrate on your toes, relax your toes, then your arches, then, the tops of your feet, then your achilles then your calves, then your knees, going up one body part at a time. Anatomy 101. Really concentrate on willing your mind to release those muscles to just fall normally down with no tension whatsoever... and I lately, when I do decide to go to bed, I don't get past my stomach. So, FWIW. Mind control. :) TW

OP
S

sifu Adams

I don't know about true Insomnia. I think the doctors can give you meds for that. Howerever I work night shift and what works for me is not to drink and pop, coffee, ect 4 hour pryor to bed. also i use to use a Melatona. you can find that at most stores with the erbal products. that might help

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MikeMartial said:
Good advice, but easier said than done :asian:
budong....I don't understand . You just close your eyes , breathe deeply and listen to your thoughts for an hour or so a day until you get to the one that was troubling you most . Then you pull it apart and find out how to permanently erradicate it from your life ........... ( wispers "btw, this is usually a feeling " ;) :asian: ) and if you can't figure out permanently, just from that particular source is a great start.

Amitopho ha :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
How do I cure Insomnia? Whiskey. *nod*

Heh. In all seriousness, I read somewhere a long time ago that if you lay in bed for over 30 minutes without falling asleep, you should get up and do something to distract yourself (like others have said). Usually I'll get up and go over some email, read the news, toss a load of laundry in (funny how that never gets "done"), etc... Most of the time, the next time I lay down I'm out like a light.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm sitting here at 05:30 and I havent even been to bed yet. And now it is going to be more efficient for me to stay up for another half hour and go for my morning run, and then try and slug it out for another 14 hours until I can go to sleep and hopefully get my sleep cycle back on track.

I have this problem a lot. It isnt really insomnia, its simply a lack of sleep, coupled with the need for lots of sleep that sees me end up with truly obscure sleeping patterns. Sometimes I fall asleep at 04:00 and wake up at 14:00, only to not sleep at all for the next 48 hours. Extremely erratic.

Heck, it's probably light enough to go for a run now.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
The person that mentioned prayer had a good idea. It doesn't have to be that, but if you have a routine that you do in your head religiously, pardon the pun, every night immediately before you go to bed (such as prayer, counting to 100, count sheep, whatever), then whenever you start to do that anytime, anywhere, you will theoretically tell your body that it's time to sleep...sort of a Pavlovian approach.

Sex is usually a good one, too.

I recently heard that for blood and energy flow, sleeping with your head towards the equator can help you sleep better. I happened to anyway, so I don't know, but maybe you could try that. It's a feng shui thing. Sounds a little hard to believe, but I certainly don't disbelieve it and it might explain why when I was little, I used to often end up with my head where my feet started. Interesting stuff...let me know if you try that and it helps.

OP
M

MikeMartial

Xequat said:
I recently heard that for blood and energy flow, sleeping with your head towards the equator can help you sleep better. I happened to anyway, so I don't know, but maybe you could try that...when I was little, I used to often end up with my head where my feet started. Interesting stuff...let me know if you try that and it helps.
Funny you mention that. Seems like when I come off a night shift, or actually have the bed to myself after the wife goes to work, I end up gradually facing that way. Our bed faces west-east, with my head towards the west. Somedays when I wake, my head is facing south :uhyeah: Weird, but maybe there's something to it...

Actually just started trying melatonin again. Seems to work well, but only for one,max two nights at a time. Did 3 days in a row, and by the third, I was wide-eyed. Anecdotal proof (for me), but at least something works a bit.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tylenol PM works for me.....Wal Mart brand is better AND cheaper. What works best for me is to tire myself out by going nonstop all day.

This is weird to see how many other people out there "think" themselves out of sleep.hmmmm...dan jon breathing or ibuki no ho works pretty good too. Forces you to *not* think about anything except breathing.

I always get the "Whatsa matter? Can't sleep?" when I do this,though. I guess it annoys her. :lol:

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I sincerely empathise, and when I have serious issues that need resovling, I can not sleep more than an hour or 2 a night myself for weeks until I've sorted it out. Sometimes, drugs just aren't the answer.

Latest Discussions