Insomnia Cures?

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the wiskey thing, although it is not very healthy. I had a hard time after coming back from deployment, and really depended on alcohol a lot to put me to sleep. That was the case for about a year until I realized that I was starting to become an A-hole instead of the mellow person I used to be. I find the the best way is if you can't sleep, lay there for an hour or so, then get up and make a snack. Preferabley a heavy snack because after a heavy meal you always feel tired. Have a glass of tea with that then go lay back down. I'm usually out like a light after that. Like posted earlier I like to make a turkey sandwich on wheat bread(which is heavier than white, as well as healthier), lights out time.

Cheers,

Ryan

OP
M

MikeMartial

Alcohol used to work well for me---when I was in my 20's. Now, if I have a few drinks, I'll wake up a few hours into sleep, and be hooped. And that's not just me, there's studies to prove is messes up your sleep.

On the other hand, my mother, who is near 60, and drinks every night, sleeps like a baby. Go figure. :idunno:

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rynocerous said:
I agree with the wiskey thing, although it is not very healthy. I had a hard time after coming back from deployment, and really depended on alcohol a lot to put me to sleep. That was the case for about a year until I realized that I was starting to become an A-hole instead of the mellow person I used to be. I find the the best way is if you can't sleep, lay there for an hour or so, then get up and make a snack. Preferabley a heavy snack because after a heavy meal you always feel tired. Have a glass of tea with that then go lay back down. I'm usually out like a light after that. Like posted earlier I like to make a turkey sandwich on wheat bread(which is heavier than white, as well as healthier), lights out time.

Cheers,

Ryan
good points....A. alcohol is an effective band aid that will give you more problems than it sovles, and B. protein will make you sleepy ;)

OP
R

raedyn

Part of the solution might be making a ritual around sleep. Just like a toddler you know? They have a bath, brush their teeth, have a story with the lights turned low, then give kisses and go to bed. Your routine might be different, but the comfort and familiarity of the repetition (and the conditioning) can make a difference.

A few years ago, when I was regularly having trouble getting to sleep, someone suggested to me that it's important to make your bedroom a sleep-only zone. I found that moving the computer to a different part of the house, and making a habit of doing my homework elsewhere did make a difference. I think it's partly about changing the energy, kinda like changing gears. I can more easily leave all that stuff behind if I never bring it into the bedroom with me.

OP
E

Erik

Wake up early in the morning. It's the only way I can make myself tired in the evening other than putting a lot of effort into relaxing when I go to sleep. It's hard to keep the mind from wandering.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know where you are coming from. Lately I haven't been sleeping well either. I've heard that if you turn your clock around and not look at the time, it helps them get to sleep easier, so they aren't worried about trying to get on 'time'.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When ever I have a problem falling asleep, I start a conversation with my wife. She takes over the conversation and I'm sleeping in no time. Unfortunately, she stays up all night, pissed that I started snoring in the middle of one of her sentences.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray better hope his wife doesn't read this forum....

Anyway, I don't have a problem sleeping. I watch a lot of b movies (mostly sci-fi stuff)...I have problems staying awake

OP
I

InvisibleFist

There's a Chinese herb called Suan Zao Ren. Its very helpful. You can get it at any Chinese herb pharmacy.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is some great advice here!

This may sound really stupid but when I was suffering from it roughly a year ago, I found it was due to the light level in my room! I know some of you cannot do this maybe because your colstrophobic (however you spell it) but try sleeping (if possible) in absolute darkness. Not only that make sure that you have all clocks faces turned away from you, so you cannot see any time at all, or maybe even hearing it could be bad, as it shows that simply seeing the time can trigger off emotional respondes in your body and make you panic or become exasperated.
Then do what I believe Tigerwoman or somebody said about relaxing using the corpse position, or by imagining something like you being in a bubble (especially if you have problems with worries throughout the day) and you become enveloped in the bubble, and all the worries that you have bounce off the bubble when they try and get to you. Sounds stupid yeah I know, but it worked for me!

Latest Discussions