Injuries

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got a broken nose during a sparring match in a tournament.

The next worse was a hairline fracture in my foot from a sidekick (mine) to the shin bone (my partner's).

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ian.. Wow.. that is just horrible.. poor guy~!!! *shakes head~!!!

Ceicei.. that's gotta hurt~!!!

Jeff.. Oh man.. can't imagine the pain of being beating.. whoa~!!!

Jason.. And you still gotta deal with Thursday.. *hugs~!!!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know.. Seig bought me this expensive full face shield helmet for sparring.. supposedly 2 yrs in design process for safety... well I'm getting pretty ticked off cuz Every Time I wear it .. people aim for the shield.. Big Guys.. *Points to Chronuss* and there are 4 Triangular vents towards the chin region.. these Vents are sharp edged and when a fist comes in contact with the shield.. it rams my chin.. and I get Cut.. Every bloody week this happens.. we tried padding the triangles with oxygen tubing .. but it didn't work.. so now gotta figure something else out..
Before the shield.. I may have incurred a face shot if my opponent slid off my head gear.. but this is absolutely ridiculous~!!

*growls *
:soapbox:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I feel your pain Tess, literally. I have a full face cage on my helmet. It surely makes a tempting target sometimes, knowing I won't get hurt.

I am glad to say though that I haven't had any injuries from my cage, its a bit of a pain because there a vertical line in my field of vision but I've gotten use to it for the most part. The cage doesn't goe down to the chin but there is a plastic chin cup with straps that lock the helmet in place. I'm thankful its there the very first night I work it, one of the sparrers I can't remember the rank, clipped me right accross the chin if it hadn't been there I'm betting I would have been out cold. Loved the thing ever since.

Dot
:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Ya know.. Seig bought me this expensive full face shield helmet for sparring.. supposedly 2 yrs in design process for safety... well I'm getting pretty ticked off cuz Every Time I wear it .. people aim for the shield.. Big Guys.. *Points to Chronuss*

...wha'.......?....wha' I do....:confused:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
I feel your pain Tess, literally. I have a full face cage on my helmet. It surely makes a tempting target sometimes, knowing I won't get hurt.

I am glad to say though that I haven't had any injuries from my cage, its a bit of a pain because there a vertical line in my field of vision but I've gotten use to it for the most part. The cage doesn't goe down to the chin but there is a plastic chin cup with straps that lock the helmet in place. I'm thankful its there the very first night I work it, one of the sparrers I can't remember the rank, clipped me right accross the chin if it hadn't been there I'm betting I would have been out cold. Loved the thing ever since.

Dot
:asian:

Hey Dot.. I hear ya~!! I had a similar helmet before I got this one.. it had an open top.. which didn't protect my head from anything.. and hard plastic thick black crossbars for the shield.. it did the trick as far as I never got injured in it.. though the chin thingy would slip down when I started sweating.. and yeah my peripheral vision was blocked as an area blind spot from the bars.. hence getting the clear shield.. which attaches to a full helmet . but you can see the triangle vents.. they are not really sharp to the touch.. but when forced to the skin.. they cut ~!!!

Attachments

• $faceshield.jpg
    $faceshield.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 141

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
...wha'.......?....wha' I do....:confused:

yes.. what DID you do Chad.. least I think you're over your fear of hurting me grappling after last night.. :D

But I shall indeed be most happy to remind you... *points to my poor cut chin.. though I do thank you for your attempt to wipe the blood away.. ;)

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like most of you, I had broken toes, fingers and some ribs.

But I would have to say the one that sucked the most was a fracture in my right arm 10 days before my Black belt test.

I put a forarm protector on and didn't tell anybody, because I didn't want some one a year later saying, we had to take it easy on dan because he had an injury.No way was anyone stealing that night away from me. I worked to hard to get their. Oh man did it freggin hurt after that night.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Hey Dot.. I hear ya~!! I had a similar helmet before I got this one.. it had an open top.. which didn't protect my head from anything.. and hard plastic thick black crossbars for the shield.. it did the trick as far as I never got injured in it.. though the chin thingy would slip down when I started sweating.. and yeah my peripheral vision was blocked as an area blind spot from the bars.. hence getting the clear shield.. which attaches to a full helmet . but you can see the triangle vents.. they are not really sharp to the touch.. but when forced to the skin.. they cut ~!!!

Ouch, yes I can see how that would hurt. :wah:

Have you tried a thick piece of soft foam glued over a couple of the bottom vents to stop the plastic from even reaching your chin.

That's the only think I can think of. Good luck.
Oh and btw, I think certain individuals that make contact with mask should be required to do 50 - 100 pushups as punishment. At the very least their arms will be too tired afterward to even attempt to go for your head. ;)

Dot

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I imagine you're glad now that you did it that way though.

Of course it doesn't sound medically adviasable so perhaps we shouldn't encourage this line of thinking!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by D_Brady
Like most of you, I had broken toes, fingers and some ribs.

But I would have to say the one that sucked the most was a fracture in my right arm 10 days before my Black belt test.

I put a forarm protector on and didn't tell anybody, because I didn't want some one a year later saying, we had to take it easy on dan because he had an injury.No way was anyone stealing that night away from me. I worked to hard to get their. Oh man did it freggin hurt after that night.

wow .... that was a pretty wild thing to do~!! I understand your motivations.. and sure hope your arm healed ok..~! Not something I would want to go through~!!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dot,

Gonna try something to that effect.. there's not much else I can do.. and the pushups.. He's used to them *G* I'll have to come up with some other punishment suitable to make his arms weak as a kitten. .and his legs.. cuz those long ones will sit on my head if I let him~!! ;)

OP
K

kenpo2dabone

the first real injury I sustained in the Karate School was a result of poor cunstruction. Mostly on my part. We had recently built a new school in an existing building. We hung some mirriors that were designed to have a stretching bar bolted threw it into what I though were studs. There was a wall behind the drywall that was coverd in a thick layer of plaster. When the screws went tinto that I thought I was going into studs. We were having an excersise class and a few of us went over to the stretching bar and started doing dips. On about the third dip the bar ripped out of the wall shattering the mirror. A large peice of the mirror landed on my heel basically removing it. It was attached still by a small peice of skin. We cleaned it with soome horrable stuff that was red and burned like hell. I never thought I would forget what that stuff was called but I can't remember right now. We then taped the peice of skin back in place. The rest of the story gets even worse but I will save that for another time.

The other injury I sustained was when I started training for full contact fighting a couple of yeears ago. It was just me and one of the instructors in calss that day. We were hevin a blast working on some kicking combo's when I stepped back with my left leg to launch a left kick. There was a loud snapping sound that the instructor and myself heard. and when I throught the kick my foot flopped like a fish out of water and without thinking I put my foot down and felt my almost touch my shin. Snap went my acelis tendon, right in half. It did not hurt but it felt very strange to say the least. Anyway those are my injuries. aside from various cuts and bruises.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo2dabone
We cleaned it with soome horrable stuff that was red and burned like hell. I never thought I would forget what that stuff was called but I can't remember right now. We then taped the peice of skin back in place. The rest of the story gets even worse but I will save that for another time.

Mike Miller UKF

Was the red stuff Mecuracrome? C'mon you gotta finish the story, you can't leave us hangin' like that, it was just gettin' good, I love infection stories.

OP
T

TheRustyOne

Dude, that mirror thing had to hurt!

the worst kenpo related incident for are bruises...lots and lots of bruises because of my stupidity and inexperience, etc.

tho i was bummed last spring because i had to sit out of 6 weeks of karate and missed a seminar for a darn broken leg! My friend tackled me and i fell wrong. at that time, i hadn't been taught how to fall correctly, so i tucked my left leg and came down...the guy came down on top of me, and we heard a lovely snap. we being, me, my friend, fellow student at the time, and the chick who worked for Shepherdstown EMS (convenient she was there!). Spiral fracture to the fibula right above my ankle.

...another disadvantage of having a broken leg was the fact that this college IS NOT handicapped accessible! but i digress...

OP
K

kenpo2dabone

Originally posted by OULobo
Was the red stuff Mecuracrome? C'mon you gotta finish the story, you can't leave us hangin' like that, it was just gettin' good, I love infection stories.

Yes, thank you, that is exactly the stuff. It is EVIL...EVIL I tell you!

O.K. I guess I will finish it. Actually it did not get infected but...

I did not have insurance at the time so I decided at first not to go to the doctor. Alittle macurecrome a little tape, life is good. Well, I was cleaning the wound the next day at my aunts house when she got a good luck at it. She freaked out and dragged me to the doctor. The wound had had about 24 hours to start heeling so the flap of skin was pretty well attached. The doctor insisted on opening it back up to make sure the tendon did not get nicked. He started by forcing a large que-tip thing under the flap of skin and proceeded to slowly pry the flap up. When I say slowly I mean slowly. Let just say it hurt way worse than the Macurecrome did. He finally manages to open the flap of skin and decides that there is a chance that I nicked the tendon so he sent me to the emergency room. I had to wait in the emergency room for about 2 1\2 hours until they could see me and when they did guess what they needed to to do. Thats right, open the wound to look at it. Atleast this time the doctor had enough sense to grab on to the flap of skin with a clamp and just rip it open in one quick move. It was determined there, that I did not hit the tendon but a new concern was brought up. The doctor was afraid that because the flap of skin was attached at the bottom and blood flows down your leg and out to your toes and then back up for reoxygenation that the flap of skin would not get enough blood and die. So he sent me to see a plastic surgen who could decide if I would needed a skin graphed or not. My appointment with the plastic surgeon was the next day. Guess what he felt he needed to do. Thats right, open the flap of skin for a third time. He decided to use slow poke and pry method. It sucked big time. To this day I feel that had I not gone to the doctor I would have been a lot better off and the scar would not be nearly as bad. However, I guess I did feel better knowing that the tendon was not nicked rather than asuming it wasn't.

So that's the rest of that story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

OP
M

Michelle

Torn popliteous tendon and torn fibular collateral ligament.

At an Erik Paulsen shootwrestling seminar. Long recovery period and lots of PT. To this day the whole grappling/ground fighting aspects of training still makes me a wee bit nervous.....something I gotta get over.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo2dabone
Yes, thank you, that is exactly the stuff. It is EVIL...EVIL I tell you!

O.K. I guess I will finish it. Actually it did not get infected but...

I did not have insurance at the time so I decided at first not to go to the doctor. Alittle macurecrome a little tape, life is good. Well, I was cleaning the wound the next day at my aunts house when she got a good luck at it. She freaked out and dragged me to the doctor. The wound had had about 24 hours to start heeling so the flap of skin was pretty well attached. The doctor insisted on opening it back up to make sure the tendon did not get nicked. He started by forcing a large que-tip thing under the flap of skin and proceeded to slowly pry the flap up. When I say slowly I mean slowly. Let just say it hurt way worse than the Macurecrome did. He finally manages to open the flap of skin and decides that there is a chance that I nicked the tendon so he sent me to the emergency room. I had to wait in the emergency room for about 2 1\2 hours until they could see me and when they did guess what they needed to to do. Thats right, open the wound to look at it. Atleast this time the doctor had enough sense to grab on to the flap of skin with a clamp and just rip it open in one quick move. It was determined there, that I did not hit the tendon but a new concern was brought up. The doctor was afraid that because the flap of skin was attached at the bottom and blood flows down your leg and out to your toes and then back up for reoxygenation that the flap of skin would not get enough blood and die. So he sent me to see a plastic surgen who could decide if I would needed a skin graphed or not. My appointment with the plastic surgeon was the next day. Guess what he felt he needed to do. Thats right, open the flap of skin for a third time. He decided to use slow poke and pry method. It sucked big time. To this day I feel that had I not gone to the doctor I would have been a lot better off and the scar would not be nearly as bad. However, I guess I did feel better knowing that the tendon was not nicked rather than asuming it wasn't.

So that's the rest of that story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF
#

...I feel sick now!

I.

Latest Discussions