Injuries

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I sprained a wrist two nights before a history final exam due to bad clocking...that sucked. Three hours, one question--all essay response.

OP
K

Kroy

I got clocked with a spinning back kick in the boys but thats not the worst of it. The rubber around my cup came loose and the sharp plastic edge drove into my leg (mear centimeters away from the goods) and sliced me open to the tune of eight stitches.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could have been worse--look at Bill Wallace.

I have assorted achy fingers and toes and a chipped tooth (not visible) but I don't think I ever took a really hard one to the you-know-whats. Moderate hits, of course.

OP
K

Kroy

May as list the others:

cracked ribs
2 broken noses
dislocated knee
one broken finger
one broken toe
more fat lips then you can shake a stick at

This all happened around the time I started Shootfighting ( I'm too old for that stuff now) So now it's just pure Kenpo, even though I still get fat lips and black eyes I feel much better!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seperated ribs from JJ.
Left rotator injury that isn't right from wrestling.
Right knee from something.
My back from something else. :idunno:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knackered ligament/tendon/stringy thing of some description in my big toe from catching it wrong on a pad whilst spinning outside crescent kicking it, that took about a year to eighteen months to heal, mostly because I kept catching the bloody thing time and time again and re-setting the injury as it were.

I think I also broke my index finger from a sloppy downwards block without a proper fist in sparring, which I never got looked at, so I still don't think it's quite right. I'm still wearing a mitt for heavy padwork to protect it until it gets properly better.

Some nasty groin strains as well, but apart from that, nowt serious.

And can I second the what happened to Bill Wallace question? I heard something about this once before but never found out....?

Ian.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
injury that impacted my life most: dislocated right thumb. Made a rather interesting snapping sound. it popped back in right away but caused quite a bit of connective tissue damage. Was initially misdiagnosed by the ER as a simple sprain and wrapped in an ace bandage. when I went to my regular doc a month later cause it was still bugging me, she looked at the x-ray and had a fit, and called the ER and chewed them out bigtime. I was then stuck in a splint that went from the tip of my thumb halfway down my arm for two more months...

I'm right handed. I'm a grad student. Taking notes was a *****, because if you can't bend your thumb, you can't write. I got quite good with the left hand, but its still not as fast as my right hand.

probably the most serious injury was a couple of broken ribs from a demo... I couldn't laugh for a month!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple of broken toes, pulled muscles in groin and back and neck, bruised ribs. The worst was a hyper-extened elbow.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Broken Toe, Dislocated shoulder.

All in all, I have been pretty lucky. Aside from coming home covered in brusies, Ive never been too badly injured in my training.

OP
K

Kgirl

Usual stuff like muscle pulls and strains. My worst injury was fracturing my knuckle punching someone incorrectly, now THAT hurt! Another time we were in a demo, doing roundhouse kicks over a chair. I got lazy and dropped my leg, smashing it on the chair. I still have the dent in my shin!

Someone told me martial arts was good for your health.. Big fat liars! :D

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oooo ouch! I bet that hurt big time.

I don't wear a cricket box anymore, I've got one of those things that looks like a nappie. Hopefully that'd stop the sort of accident occuring!

Ian.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there was a dancer who fell on the corner edge of the stage during a rehearsal at my college...with one leg on top of the stage and one leg over the side... required emergency surgery. went through the rest of his college career with the nickname "oneball"

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
He lost a testicle when the cup he was wearing was kicked into it.

So that's why he walks funny. J/K.

I think I can trump everyone so far. My ACL tore out of my knee and I had to that a full reconstruction. They ripped open my knee, canabalized my pattellar tendon to make a new ligiment and screwed the new one to the bone. I was not happy, especially when you throw in 6-9 months of PT, some really nasty scars (okay these are cool) and a dead nerve spot about the size of a CD on my leg (this one is fun to do the cigarette burn trick at parties).

Call me SPUER-GIMPY!:p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
oooo ouch! I bet that hurt big time.

I don't wear a cricket box anymore, I've got one of those things that looks like a nappie. Hopefully that'd stop the sort of accident occuring!

Ian.

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY???

Cricket Box? Nappie?

:confused:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nappie = diaper

cricket box = ??????

i'm hoping its some kind of reference to a sport, but could be some bizarre thing resembling a chinese cricket cage (see below)

Attachments

• $cricket.jpg
    $cricket.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 154

Latest Discussions