Indian girl uses Karate to defend herself. Is Karate an effective martial art for self defense?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you have seen occasional grappling yet you have never seen it anywhere? Which is it?

OK. When I say grappling I am generally talking about a comprehensive system of throws clinching groundwork possibility submissions.

I have seen takedowns in karate. Mabye the occasional wrist lock. But nothing to suggest their system is a stand alone grappling system.

This is an important distinction for self defence when I suggest that someone needs to know grappling I am not talking about osotogari trained in karate class.

I suggest you need enough grappling to get off your back while the person on top is trying to rain bombs on you.

So however to want to define that distinction is up to you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We learned grappling in the 1st few weeks in my Goju classes so....... a few weeks

Was it really? Could you tell it was grappling within a few weeks though.

Because apparently you can't tell until you have mastered all karate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sure I could. It was basic grappling.
says who?
Well I was told I couldn't tell after a year whether I did grappling or not.

So I imagine you could not know after a few weeks.

Here we go.

"You have had a slight experience with karate, 3 or 4 years in multiple styles, not really long enough in any one to actually know what they do. Ok, you didn't do 'ground work' in your fleeting karate career and 5 years of Judo makes you an expert lol ( my instructor has 45 years of Judo experience and 40 of karate so guess who I'll listen to)"

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spending 20 minutes every month or so on break falling, or kicking and punching while on your knees isn't what I'm talking about when I say "ground fighting".
And how much time does a predominantly "ground fighting" art spend on kicking and punching whilst standing up?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest you need enough grappling to get off your back while the person on top is trying to rain bombs on you.
I would say that most predominantly striking arts teach that much at least. On a side note, in a fight I got into 20 years ago I did just that except I did it purely with striking,although he tried but did not actually get on top.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I was told I couldn't tell after a year whether I did grappling or not.
Well I have no idea where you training who you trained with or what style you were training so......I know we were learning grappling. Was it as specialized as say BJJ of course not thats not the focus of the style but even basic grappling is stil grapling
So I imagine you could not know after a few weeks.
And you would be wrong
Here we go.

"You have had a slight experience with karate, 3 or 4 years in multiple styles, not really long enough in any one to actually know what they do. Ok, you didn't do 'ground work' in your fleeting karate career and 5 years of Judo makes you an expert lol ( my instructor has 45 years of Judo experience and 40 of karate so guess who I'll listen to)"
And?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK. When I say grappling I am generally talking about a comprehensive system of throws clinching groundwork possibility submissions.
even basic grappling is still grappling
I have seen takedowns in karate. Mabye the occasional wrist lock. But nothing to suggest their system is a stand alone grappling system.
WHO claimed it was? Nobody is saying Karate is a stand alone grappling system. I learned grappling in Goju can I enter a BJJ tournament and beat trained BJJ or judo guys 99 out of 100 no. Can I use it to defend myself in the street yes, is it in the style yes. Ive never compared grappling in Karate to BJJ or JJJ or Judo but to say it doesnt exist at all is just wrong
This is an important distinction for self defence when I suggest that someone needs to know grappling I am not talking about osotogari trained in karate class.

and we have that and more in my style
So however to want to define that distinction is up to you.
ok

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't sarcasm, it was a literal question. In every art I know of that is proven to be able to make you a competent grappler you can see the competent grapplers in that art in one day. So how long do you have to train karate before you start meeting the guys that became good ground fighters just by training karate? And why is karate the only martial art in human history that can make you an expert grappler where you have to train for so many years to be able to even see it's grappling prowess that can make you an expert grappler?

Karate is a self defence art, it's techniques are for defending yourself, sorry if I've repeated myself but it needs to be emphasised. Competent in karate is being able to defend yourself, do you get it yet? it's not 'competent' to be able to compete in grappling competitions, it's enough to get you out of bad situations.
Your comment about seeing competent grapplers in one day makes little sense, you can't train people to be competent in one day.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you guys would just settle down and learn Isshin-Ryu, everything would be fine. It is the only real martial art. You're welcome. ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys would just settle down and learn Isshin-Ryu, everything would be fine. It is the only real martial art. You're welcome. ;)

But but it can't be, surely UFC is the only style that works................................... :wacky:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds very much like a thread from bullshido.net, just sayin'.

This of course is your opinion.

Martial Talk is very well monitored. Members are allowed to have their opinion on a wide variety of topics as long as they stay within the site rules.

Even though you can have an opinion whether good or bad the fact is you have not been here long enough to render the statement you did, "just sayin"

Latest Discussions