In motion, there is often motion that is overlooked.........

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright I am an !@#hole. I picked on Mr. Tatum and you are all correct those where comments I should have kept to myself. Acting on some un-natural whim I went over board and said it anyway, well guess what, I can't erase the post so there it is. For the guy who asked " what have I done for Kenpo" I apologize the backward apology. And by the way I have met Mr. Tatum and dummied for him at a seminar here in Washington. So I have a little ( I said a little) experience with him. As for the rest of the crap that followed my post, I have to say I am suprised!
You are correct about the information that he is giving being a help and insight to some people and for that I have to give him credit. I will withdraw from this forum for a while, mostly because I have to much work to do (in Kenpo) to spend so much time concerning myself with this. Happy Kenpoing to you all!!!
Later :asian: :asian:

W

WhiteTiger

Do any of these threads get past the first page before bashing some other system, instructor, lineage?

At the risk of getting back on subject, nearly all of the individual motions within any technique can be started from any number of positions or starting points. This is esspecially true for the Chin'na type grabs and joint locks. The key is to recognize the fulcrum points used in each lock, and when they are vulnerable. How many ways do we enter into a "Crossing Talon" type arm bar for instance. This is the part of Kenpo which is most often left for the individual student to discover, althought some system begin to cover some of these points starting in 2nd Black.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"... nearly all of the individual motions within any technique can be started from any number of positions or starting points. This is esspecially true for the Chin'na type grabs and joint locks" - WhiteTiger

i just ran a workshop on this last wednesday night for all belt levels. for some it was a first introduction to the chinese root moves, and for others it was more a exploration of how the same root is used in several techniques, such as Gift, Locking Arm/Locked Wing, Desparate Falcons, and Glancing Spear. We locked and controlled from the fingers, wrist, elbow, and shoulder
and found each root to be found in several Kenpo techniques. The main point from this was to use these techniques to neutralize the attack then gain control of the situation by having the attacker submit... which i've seen get "lost in the sauce" of many kenpo practitioner's desire to be "flashy fast".

i found it to be rewarding, and received much in the way of positive feedback on the approach from everyone taking part in the workshop. additionally, i found that i benefited not only from running the workshop and working with the participants, but from the hours of preparation needed to pull it together for such varied group.

pete.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Do any of these threads get past the first page before bashing some other system, instructor, lineage?

At the risk of getting back on subject......
Seldom I'm afraid.
Thanks for "risking" it.

As a wise lady once said to me... "If it aint positive or lead to a positive result.... WHY DO IT?"

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions