Ikc

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Ryer, the pic turned out pretty good. It was great seeing the UPK guys, and again congrats. Hope to see you guys in October or November for your seminar as well as here WV for Mr. C.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey all ... just another tale for those who are curious. I live in New Hampshire, and when I learned of the IKC in Boston this past winter I was really excited about it. Due to life circumstances, I was only able to attend the seminars on Sunday.

I am currently a green belt in a 16 Technique Kenpo School ... This put me in seminars with Mr. Bob Liles, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Gilbert Valez, and Mr. Martin Wheeler. Each of the seminars was about 1 hour in length. The grouping we were working with were Purple Belts, Blue Belts and Green Belts. There were perhaps 20 - 22 people at this level.

My instructor told me ahead of time that I would see things at the seminar that were quite different than the way we are taught in our school. Well, that certainly was true.

Mr. Liles talked quite a bit, about his history in karate, his new hip joint, and how important it is to stay healthy. I felt the things he showed us were not really 'Kenpo' things, but rather more "banging" techniques or 'street fighting' applications. Certainly, we can apply what he was demonstrating in many kenpo techniques, but personally, I didn't take a whole lot away from this seminar. The specific item I remember from this seminar is Mr. Liles description on how to throw an effective elbow from short range: generate force through shoulder rotation. It was interesting.

Mr. Trejo discussed three items in his 1 hour seminar: A Twist Stance, Thundering Hammers, Flashing Wings. Wow ... each of these items were taught in a manner very different than what goes on in my school. It was kind of strange seeing these techniques from this different point of view. I was confidently running these techniques, and then being corrected by one of the Grand Masters in the system. Certainly a humbling experience. The differences in the techniques could be because at my studio we learn 'Thundering Hammers' as a Green Belt technique and, if I am not mistaken, the IKKA has it at the Orange Belt level. Mr. Trejo will not be adjudicating me at my 3rd degree brown belt test next Friday, so I will remember what he showed me, but run the techniques as I learned them.

Mr. Velez's class was also an interesting experience. I felt he was by far, the best teacher, of the group I observed. Mr. Valez worked on Shield and Sword and Dominating Circles. He had the class adding an upward parry to the begining of Shield and Sword, that seemed to make a lot of sense. Mr. Velez did a super job with the individual attention he gave to the members of the seminar. This session was really a lot of fun.

Lastly, Mr. Wheeler's session just destroyed everything I have been learning for the past two and a half years. While it was intensly interesting, I really couldn't put a lot of effort into learning it because it is so contrary to what I am studying in my studio. I really want to stay away from comparing system A against system B (or Instructor A against Instructor B), but for the sake of understanding let me try. In my studio, the first rule of Kenpo is to 'Establish Your Base', with all that follows along with that ... get a good brace angle, don't turn in the air, maximize your force, use borrowed force, etc, etc. Mr. Wheeler posited that we have better balance when we are on one foot, and we should always be moving, slipping around any attackes, don't defend against the attack, avoid the attack, don't be there when the punch is supposed to land. I will concede that it works (launch your right cross when your left jab makes contact - no contact on the left jab, no right cross) but Wow .. it just stands everything I am learning on its head.

All in all, I am pleased that I went to the seminars. I do believe I received my moneys worth from the host, instructors, and fellow students (Diedra from Tuanton, MA did a great job. She's one tough lady - Matt did a great job too). I did take away quite a bit of information from the seminars ... and in time, this material will be proven to be more useful or less useful, and I will withhold final judgement until that time. Hopefully, for the benefit of those with whom I was working, I didn't come across as some know-it-all-arrogant-jerk-of-a-green-belt. If I did, I apologize. :)

It really was a fun time. For those who didn't make it, hopefully, you will be able to attend a similar event at some point in the future.

Peace - Mike

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by michaeledward
Hey all ... just another tale for those who are curious. I live in New Hampshire, and when I learned of the IKC in Boston this past winter I was really excited about it. Due to life circumstances, I was only able to attend the seminars on Sunday.

I am currently a green belt in a 16 Technique Kenpo School ... This put me in seminars with Mr. Bob Liles, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Gilbert Valez, and Mr. Martin Wheeler. Each of the seminars was about 1 hour in length. The grouping we were working with were Purple Belts, Blue Belts and Green Belts. There were perhaps 20 - 22 people at this level.

My instructor told me ahead of time that I would see things at the seminar that were quite different than the way we are taught in our school. Well, that certainly was true.

Mr. Liles talked quite a bit, about his history in karate, his new hip joint, and how important it is to stay healthy. I felt the things he showed us were not really 'Kenpo' things, but rather more "banging" techniques or 'street fighting' applications. Certainly, we can apply what he was demonstrating in many kenpo techniques, but personally, I didn't take a whole lot away from this seminar. The specific item I remember from this seminar is Mr. Liles description on how to throw an effective elbow from short range: generate force through shoulder rotation. It was interesting.

Mr. Trejo discussed three items in his 1 hour seminar: A Twist Stance, Thundering Hammers, Flashing Wings. Wow ... each of these items were taught in a manner very different than what goes on in my school. It was kind of strange seeing these techniques from this different point of view. I was confidently running these techniques, and then being corrected by one of the Grand Masters in the system. Certainly a humbling experience. The differences in the techniques could be because at my studio we learn 'Thundering Hammers' as a Green Belt technique and, if I am not mistaken, the IKKA has it at the Orange Belt level. Mr. Trejo will not be adjudicating me at my 3rd degree brown belt test next Friday, so I will remember what he showed me, but run the techniques as I learned them.

Mr. Velez's class was also an interesting experience. I felt he was by far, the best teacher, of the group I observed. Mr. Valez worked on Shield and Sword and Dominating Circles. He had the class adding an upward parry to the begining of Shield and Sword, that seemed to make a lot of sense. Mr. Velez did a super job with the individual attention he gave to the members of the seminar. This session was really a lot of fun.

Lastly, Mr. Wheeler's session just destroyed everything I have been learning for the past two and a half years. While it was intensly interesting, I really couldn't put a lot of effort into learning it because it is so contrary to what I am studying in my studio. I really want to stay away from comparing system A against system B (or Instructor A against Instructor B), but for the sake of understanding let me try. In my studio, the first rule of Kenpo is to 'Establish Your Base', with all that follows along with that ... get a good brace angle, don't turn in the air, maximize your force, use borrowed force, etc, etc. Mr. Wheeler posited that we have better balance when we are on one foot, and we should always be moving, slipping around any attackes, don't defend against the attack, avoid the attack, don't be there when the punch is supposed to land. I will concede that it works (launch your right cross when your left jab makes contact - no contact on the left jab, no right cross) but Wow .. it just stands everything I am learning on its head.

All in all, I am pleased that I went to the seminars. I do believe I received my moneys worth from the host, instructors, and fellow students (Diedra from Tuanton, MA did a great job. She's one tough lady - Matt did a great job too). I did take away quite a bit of information from the seminars ... and in time, this material will be proven to be more useful or less useful, and I will withhold final judgement until that time. Hopefully, for the benefit of those with whom I was working, I didn't come across as some know-it-all-arrogant-jerk-of-a-green-belt. If I did, I apologize. :)

It really was a fun time. For those who didn't make it, hopefully, you will be able to attend a similar event at some point in the future.

Peace - Mike

Thank you for an honest evaluation of the seminars, it's nice to see. I'd heard the same thing from someone else about Martin Wheeler's seminars, kind of monkey kung-fu thing from what they told me. Keep up the good work.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Female team?

I think the third one from the right needs to have her chin and lip waxed. ;) hee hee

Dot
:boing2:
It's hard enough to get me to shave once a week, you think I'm going for a wax? HA!

Technically, since I am the Advisor/Coach, I am still part of the female team.:p

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by michaeledward
Hey all ... just another tale for those who are curious.
Peace - Mike

Thank you for your notes, sir. They are quite appreciated.
I really do appreciate all the anecdotes and photographs. Thank you all.
Who's next? :D

R

rmcrobertson

Looks to me as though it's pretty easy to square one of these circles...you're absolutely right at your level of training about stances, Mr. Wheeler's pretty much right about things at his...at least in general, though it's kinda weird to argue that you have better balance on one foot...maybe what he meant is that balance is best understood as a dynamic, not a static, concept?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can I suggest you start a new thread to discuss the difference between Kenpo and Systema.

I agree with Dot........ start a new thread!

Mr. C you usually have lots of pictures after an event. I know you were busy but did you get a chance to take some shots?

No, damn it. Tanaka had me judging Black Belts all dern day. No pics of any sort:mad: :( :eek: :shrug:

:asian: sorry

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

No, damn it. Tanaka had me judging Black Belts all dern day. No pics of any sort:mad: :( :eek: :shrug:

yes...Mr. C. was quite a sight in his button-down flame shirt and gi pants...but I'm sure no one there would have argued the point. :D

K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Oh Pooh, Oh well what could you do. :)

Anyone else have pictures?

Dot
:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
yes...Mr. C. was quite a sight in his button-down flame shirt and gi pants...but I'm sure no one there would have argued the point. :D

So,
Who got the picture of that?:rofl:

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey my mom took all the pics and I gave the CD's to Kenpo Tess so if you go bug her some more maybe she'll hurry and post some more.....see you later Tess

OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
On those CDs there are also some pictures of the lake and landscaping you built in your back yard. When she is done oooing over those, she will post some more IKC pics.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few shots from the I.K.C. Thanks to Donna Elliott for taking the photos.

We, the competitors had no time to be flitting around with a camera in hand :)

Elvis getting ready to show his stuff..

Attachments

• $elvis.jpg
    $elvis.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 231

Latest Discussions