Ikc

S

Sergio Jódar

Congratulations Mr. Ryer.
You must be very technical because Angelo´s forms are great. I hope to meet you in the future.
And yes Lucía, I would love to stay there and compete with Mr Ryan and Mr. Collado for the title. Maybe another year...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to judge such a fine division. Yes we all were impressed with a few of you "new guys" performances! It is nice to see you break into the "lime light", now you need to do the same with all the other divisions also... forms, weapons and of course sparring! Great Job Josh and Scott in particular.

:asian:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
I was very happy to have met Sandor , Elfan and Kenpo Joe who all found me as I was wandering around amongst 100's of Kenpoists.. Great to meet you guys.. ~!!

I'll have pics to post of events soon.. as our Photographer Donna gets them to me :)

Tess..

Thanks for the mention, Tess! I appreciate finally meeting you and Seig! It was good to see Dennis but we didn't get to talk much...
It was a crazy weekend to say the least but it was still fun!
I'll talk a little more about it later...
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

PS: sorry about the "sub-par" performances at the IKC, I had a hairline fracture of my rib I apparently got from working on the seminars on friday...

K

KenpoGirl

Who else was there, what were your impressions. Did you see any new gear being sold. Was there any competitions or seminars that really impressed you?

I thought people would be more excited about describing the weekends events. :idunno:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Dot

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
Mr. Ryer, you wouldn't happen to know anyone who needs an extra person for team sparring, would ya...? :D

Chronuss,

I just wanted to post one of the pics of all of us at the IKC's in Boston! It was really great to see you and Mr. Seigel and I hope to be able to attend future seminars in your area. Till then, I wish you all the best!

P.S. More pics on the way!!!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA Pittsburgh

Attachments

• $ikc (upk with chad).jpg
    $ikc (upk with chad).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 244
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
Chronuss,

I just wanted to post one of the pics of all of us at the IKC's in Boston! It was really great to see you and Mr. Seigel and I hope to be able to attend future seminars in your area. Till then, I wish you all the best!

P.S. More pics on the way!!!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA Pittsburgh

Great Picture. :D

Can you list, who's who? Please.

Dot
:D

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Dot

Well I can tell you on the far left .. Tall, good looking dark haired guy is Chronuss.. our very own Chad :) Mr. Josh Ryer is the blonde good looking guy in the white shirt in the center :)

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Dot

KenpoGirl,

Sure thing!!! Sorry about that :)

From left to right-

(As Mrs. Seigel has said) Chad from Mountaineer MA, Joel Daugherty (UPK Assistant Instructor), Clayton Cartwright (UPK Instructor), Myself (Thank you Tess for the very nice compliment!!), Justin McClelland (UPK Student), Alex Dorsey (UPK Instructor), Ken Frey (UPK Student), and Nick Cooper (UPK Assistant Instructor)

K

KenpoGirl

Part of MMA Female Team

Female team?

I think the third one from the right needs to have her chin and lip waxed. ;) hee hee

Dot
:boing2:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who else was there, what were your impressions. Did you see any new gear being sold. Was there any competitions or seminars that really impressed you?

I thought people would be more excited about describing the weekends events. :idunno:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Dot

Hi Folks!
After chatting with Kenpo Girl online last night, I decided to write about my IKC weekend...
I got a ride from my student, Andy Novick, up to the event early Friday morning, along with his "half siberian husky-half "non domesticated canine" dog, Kato!
We got there in time for some of the opening statements and changed up for the seminars...
First up for my group was Martin Wheeler, I had met Martin years ago at one of Doreen's camps in Revere and He,Connor Knight [god rest his soul] and I "camped out" at the Revere Karate Academy that night [I still remember Martin and Connor clothlining each other upon finding out I had worked in Pro Wrestling] Back then, Martin had this "wild tiger in a cage" look in his eyes and his kenpo was just as intense!
But, that friday, i saw a "new" Martin, one who had more of a "floating dragon" look in his eyes as he did his "systema" relaxation-evasion drills. He was so fluid, so relaxed, almost jovial as he worked and demonstrated. I joked to a friend of how he moved like "Mick Jagger on crack" [that's a compliment,btw! you had to be there and see for yourself!] he was always in control, flowing,yeilding,redirecting,gently buckling and parrying as he struck with occasional circular "punches" that vibrated and penetrated through his opponent. It reminded me of chinese internal arts i had studied like tai chi or ba gua...
I had the pleasure of meeting and working with "Ron" who had come up with Tom Georgian's group. Tom Georgian is a high ranking Black Belt under Jim Mitchell of AAction Kenpo Karate and runs the San Diego Nationals tournament. Ron was a nice guy and a good martial artist from Buena Vista,CA Who I would later see as "Elvis" at the tournament! It was a pleasure working with him on the various drills and just having fun!
After several drills, Martin then went around the group having people feel the "circular punch" he was demonstrating, I have to admit, that I abstained from the "greetings from the land of beatings" on THAT particular part!
It was great finally seeing systema and as martin said to me, "different people see different arts in systema" and he spoke highly of Vladimir and how he "was humbled" by working with him in systema. It was a joy to see Martin again and to see the change in his entire mindset and art.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks!
let us continue!
The second seminar featured Zack Whitson, who's "kenpo counter point" tape I had seen but had not had the pleasure of meeting until that day! He is a nice,quiet, likable guy who has trained in wing chun,pekitti tirsia [not sure if i'm spelling that right] and wing chun, and i got to see elements of all three during his seminar! We began with the master key from "shielding hammer" into the lower case action of "raining claw" I was working with "Bonnie" [if i have your name wrong, i'll correct it later] who was Tom georgian's busniess mangaer at his studio and the main co-ordinator for the san diego nationals. She was sporting a leg cast from "puting her bike down" but she "Toughed it out" to take the seminars! kudos to her!
I'll be the first to admit that initially, i'm slow to pick up new drills ["got the brains of an ice cube melting on a summer's day"] and Bonnie was tolerant of my "dull witted-early moring-no stimulant in me" lack of ability. We then went into "5 swords" off of the "sheilding hammer" base, adding in armbars and transitions all throughout...
I also met "Arnold" from Detroit who had never done Mr. Parker's system and although a high ranking black belt, he was not familiar with the system at all...It reminded me of myself, when some 20 years ago, I was in the same boat, just starting to learn from Mr. Parker himself. I could relate to his confusion yet willingness to learn. So, I helped him along to hopefully "open the door" to the parker system. It was nice working with him. Derek Hibben was helping Zack with the seminar and he also brought several knives with him for sale and portraits of Gil done by Ed Parker Jr. He had a "hibben claw 2" that was laser ecthed for Jeff Speakman's 2003 camp but i was tight on funds [although it kept "calling to me" all weekend :(
Upon talking to Zack, i found out that he had just attended the Leo Gage seminar IN PROVIDENCE RI that i had missed last weekend! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
such is life.
It was a good seminar and some may consider Mr. Whitson "the new kid on the block", I for one, enjoyed his seminar and the blending of transitions,hubad-lubad influence, and the further understanding of master keys and their transitional state!
I hope that i was of some service,
KENPOJOE

K

Kenpomachine

Thank you Tess, Joshua and KenpoJoe for the reports and pictures. I've enjoyed every bit of them :asian: :asian:

K

KenpoGirl

hahaaa... I should let Seig address that comment Dot~!!! But he's sleeping now *G*

No worries Tess. I feel pretty safe way up there in the Great White North. ;)

heh heh

Dot

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
from left to right standing:Frank Trejo,Tom Sotis,Martin Wheeler,Richard "Huk" Planas, Zack Whitson,Ed Parker Jr., Mrs. Leilani Parker,Larry Kongaika, Sherri Parker-Kongaika
[kneeling] Doreen Cogliandro, Gilbert Velez, Dian Tanaka

R

RCastillo

Female team?

I think the third one from the right needs to have her chin and lip waxed. ;) hee hee

Dot

That, and to quit taking anabolic steroids!:eek:

Latest Discussions