Ikc

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Anaheim, California???

Dot

Yes. They don't have many information yet in the url, but there's the dates and the place.

I think the link is http://www.ikctournaments.com or something similar. If that doesn't work, I have it in my website, it's the last event.

OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I need to get my scanner up and running before I can really post pics. I was very busy all day, it was like herding chickens! A very sincere and warm congratualtions to Mr. Joshua Ryer who picked up a Grand Championship!!!!!!! I'll let him relay his own details.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
I need to get my scanner up and running before I can really post pics. I was very busy all day, it was like herding chickens! A very sincere and warm congratualtions to Mr. Joshua Ryer who picked up a Grand Championship!!!!!!! I'll let him relay his own details.

Congratulations! Mr. Ryer please jump in here with some details!
And anyone else for that matter. Written accounts are welcome and anticipated along with the photographs.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

Thank you Seig and Cdhall for the congratulations!!!

This past weekend at the Internationals was just amazing. You really do not realize how big your Kenpo Family is until you attend an event like this, and even more you realize how much Mr. Parker and his system has touched so many lives!

The weekend began with testing on Thursday, which I was not present for, but I heard that everyone did a outstanding job in front of a very impressive testing board!

Then Friday consisted of seminars being held at the Revere High School which included- Mr. "Huk" Planas, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Gilbert Velez, Mr. Bob Liles, Mr. Zach Whitson, Ms. Dian Tanaka, Mr. Larry Kongaika, Mr. Martin Wheeler, and Mr. Tom Sotis.

All of the seminars were informative and there was a great energy all throughout the training sessions.

Saturday then marked the beginning of the tournament! So many countries were in attendence and the spirits were running high. It began with the parade of nations and the presentation of all of the flags. The Irish were represented by over 300 people, Kenpoists from Spain, Mexico, Canada, Jersey, England, Holland, (excuse my lapse in remembering them all), so many countries!

The competition started with Team Forms, then went into Individual competition- Self-Defense, Creative Forms, Open Forms, Kenpo Forms, and Weapons. Then finished off with Sparring, and Team Sparring.

The performances were spectacular. I would have to say I enjoyed meeting and watching Mr. Collado compete in Kenpo Forms, so technical and precise in his movement. I also enjoyed Mr. Scott Hayes (spelling??) from Redding, California. His Staff Set was just solid and his forms were amazing as well.

Everyone was just awesome, there are really no words to explain the honor it was to be there and to meet the people!

Sunday then consisted of more seminars and finished off with the Brotherhood Dinner which just really brought everyone together. Awards were given out to the instructors and to the representing countries as well. Special thank you's were made to the Parker Family which was an honor to be in their presence, to Ms. Cogliandro for all of her hard work and dedication to making the event possible in Boston and to just everyone who attended.

There were so many great elements present to make the weekend what it was and I hope that everyone at some point in their journey has the opportunity to do attend the IKC's!!!

Thank you to all and good journey!!!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer

K

Kenpomachine

Congratulations Mr Ryer

May I ask what was the Grand Championship for? Sparring? Self defense? Forms?

Lucía

PS Sergio, I'm sure you are sorry you couldn't go there to fight again for the forms Grand Championship :eek:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Ryer:

Yes, please fill us in regarding your success!
:cool:

K

KenpoGirl

I'll add my voice to that request too, Mr. Ryder

But I would also like to hear about any and everybodies elses experience at the IKC, win, lose or draw. I'm sure regardless of the results it was a experience to rememer. :)

Dot
:asian:

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, for those that don't know I was one of Seig's students that went to the IKC. I must say that it was definitely an experience. I was totally bumbed about not placing, missed it by just .01 in individual forms. Shoot. But for most of us from the school it was our first tournament and most of us haven't been in martial arts for very long. But in a whole it really pulled our school together while up there. We all gave eachother much deserving support. We went out there and gave it our all. Some of us goofed and had total brain freezes on forms, others of us did our forms and sparring better than Seig had seen us do in class. We learned that in sparring though the judges don't see everything and that was a real bummer for some of us that went. But we're human and we make better doors than we do windows:shrug: . If anything I enjoyed watching other kenpoist. I loved watching Mr. Ryer's group in their team forms and individual forms. They were powerful and graceful all in one. Plus, the fact that Elvis was there who could beat that??? :)

S

Sandor

To Josh Ryer and Scott Halsey;

Gentlemen, phenominal performances by both of you, as your friend and brother in the art I am very proud of your acheivements at the IKC.

All in all, an excellent event, I am looking forward to Dublin in 2004.

Peace,
Sandor

S

SThiess

As far as I know, the IKC 2004 in Anaheim have been postponed to 2005. There are several reasons for this.

For now it looks that there will be another Homecoming Camp in 2004. But at the beginning of the year, maybe Februar or March. Due to the high cost for travellers to the US they do not wanted to have 2 tournaments in the US in a row. People from other countries cannot afford this. So there then will be 2004 Dublin and then 2005 Anaheim.

That is the latest, will keep you updated

S

Sandor

Originally posted by SThiess
As far as I know, the IKC 2004 in Anaheim have been postponed to 2005. There are several reasons for this.

For now it looks that there will be another Homecoming Camp in 2004. But at the beginning of the year, maybe Februar or March. Due to the high cost for travellers to the US they do not wanted to have 2 tournaments in the US in a row. People from other countries cannot afford this. So there then will be 2004 Dublin and then 2005 Anaheim.

That is the latest, will keep you updated

hehe...saved me a lot of typing ;)

thanks

K

Kenpomachine

Hey, thanks for the info on IKC 2004 Sandor and SThiess.

Dublin is a great place and there's a lot of good kenpoists over there, starting by Ed Downey and following with the IKKA group and...

Pleeeeeease, do tell us more about this year IKC and post some pics, pleeeeease.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a flurry of activity when we arrived at the field house, We checked in and took our packets with our event cards and scrambled through the throng of humanity inside the gym to a safehold in the corner high on the bleachers. There were events already in progress at the Mountaineer Martial Arts Team's arrival.. and with no times listed on the event cards we were totally in the dark as to when we would be called, just relying on understanding the loudspeaker crackling over the din of music, Kia'ing.. voices of many accents and languages melding into a cacophony of sounds.. Thankfully some of our teammates families guarded our perches as we wandered around quite aimlessly, making sure we didn't inadvertantly step into or across a ring with performers, just watching and taking in such things as a trio competing with Long 3 as a musical team form.. Very well done ~!

Mr. Conatser was flagged down, when I saw him next, he was Judging forms. The Brown men's 18 and up Forms division was 40 strong, the women's was to be held right after.. we waited forever to be called on deck..

Honestly I had been dreading this event since day one.. as I had real issues with being judged.. I would literally freeze up at our own school when put in the spot light ... my mind would lock up and I was jello... but when it was finally my turn.. I got up there.. walked in front of the judges.. (Edmund Parker Jr. being one of them) Announced myself.. my form, my system etc.. and Banged out the form .. I made a couple goofs.. but By God.. I finished it.. and though I didn't place.. I conquered my fear and in my heart.. I won :) As did everyone on our team ...we all put our total all into it.. ~!

Sparring was rather a farce... they put me in with the 18 yo's.. when I knew for a fact there were 3 other women my age in my division.. the Center Ref first told us the rules... (which by the way we had all copies of from the IKC website (none were enforced) NO Face Contact.. NO Head Contact.. we said.. Excuse us?? No Head contact in Brown division?? He went to confer with the other judges.. came back.. saying... Ok.. we are going to Use Black belt Rules.. and NEVER told us what those particular rules were.. just started calling us out.. (even though we asked what the rules were.. he had no Gi or Belt on.. but a Shirt that said.. REAL SEX on it.. ( instead of RED SOX) what a poor excuse of a Ref....

when I had my fist locked out on my opponent's nose.. they didn't break.. even though the judge was looking directly at me.. the hesitation allowed my opponent to come under with an upper cut and (I had a full face shield on) she hit under the mask..and cut me with the ring she wore on her middle finger.. (JEWELRY in a Tourny???) and I stopped.. my chin was bleeding.. Seig was standing right behind me on the sidelines.. he called for the arbitrator.. because she got the point.. they said.. it was NOT excessive contact. even though my head rocked.. and I was bleeding all over the place..
total rubbish~!!

Fuzzy (Jani) had a round kick locked on the girls head.. NO POINT~!! the girl came in with a punch .. guess who got the point.. Seig had an axe kick on his opponent's head.. NO POINT.. the guy came in with a kick to Seig's Butt.. yep.. guess who got the point.. Mr. C was sitting at the sidelines with me watching Seig's Fight.. the opponent was OUT of bounds.. Mr. C stated such to the Center Judge.. who in turn.. covered his eyes.. stating.. I DIDN"T see it.. it DIDN'T happen.. the guy was out of bounds 4 times.. with Seig pummeling him.. and guess who got the points..

So needless to say.. we know who really won the fights.. :)

We had a great after party.. and Sunday toured around a bit of Boston Harbor area.. our flight was delayed from storms.. but got home by midnite..

We had testing by Mr. C Monday night at the studio.. and he and the boys took off for Arizona Yesterday ... All in all the wealth of his knowledge he shared with us and the opportunity we all had together.. made up for the shady dealings we met with at the tournament..

I was very happy to have met Sandor , Elfan and Kenpo Joe who all found me as I was wandering around amongst 100's of Kenpoists.. Great to meet you guys.. ~!!

I'll have pics to post of events soon.. as our Photographer Donna gets them to me :)

Tess..

K

KenpoGirl

Thank Tess that was great. Really gave us an idea of what went on. Congradulations for all your and your students hard work.

And Congrat's to you for your Black Belt. :D

Dot

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sandor
To Josh Ryer and Scott Halsey;

Gentlemen, phenominal performances by both of you, as your friend and brother in the art I am very proud of your acheivements at the IKC.

All in all, an excellent event, I am looking forward to Dublin in 2004.

Peace,
Sandor

Sandor,

Thank you for the congrats! It really means alot!

As always, it was great to see you and the crew... I really hope to see you in Kentucky possibly and at your camp in South Beach as well!

Please give my regards to Stef and I hope to talk with you soon.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Tess..

What a rush, huh?;)

It was nice chatting with you today.:D

Oh, and Castillo, sorry but I had the inside track to Tess.:p

Latest Discussions