I need some help, some info, please.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shown to me a couple years ago by a guy who teaches the Hong Kong police. We've been having a lot of fun with it, creates a lot of power, knocks down or back a lot of people. And obviously puts your hands right there on him. But I forget all the nuances.

Say you're throwing a straight vertical punch to the body/sternum....with your off hand you're grasping the wrist/hand of the punch to make it stronger. Sort of like doing a two hand "get away from me" shove to the chest. But you're not pushing, you're slamming it into him.

What is this technique called? What art(s) is it from? What is the proper position of the feet? Should you be sitting into your stance or leaning forward?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are describing some kind of straight, vertical fist punch reinforced with the other hand? Sounds unusual. And difficult. How is the reinforcing hand held? Palm up or palm down? Firmly gripping with the thumb wrapped around, or with the thumb alongside the fingers?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have some theories on the two handed push. But your description seems different.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shown to me a couple years ago by a guy who teaches the Hong Kong police. We've been having a lot of fun with it, creates a lot of power, knocks down or back a lot of people. And obviously puts your hands right there on him. But I forget all the nuances.

Say you're throwing a straight vertical punch to the body/sternum....with your off hand you're grasping the wrist/hand of the punch to make it stronger. Sort of like doing a two hand "get away from me" shove to the chest. But you're not pushing, you're slamming it into him.

What is this technique called? What art(s) is it from? What is the proper position of the feet? Should you be sitting into your stance or leaning forward?

Reinforced punch. Isshinryu Seiunchin kata demonstrates it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way punching or pushing should be sitting into your stance. You weight is in your hips which go backwards when you lean forwards.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

At 47 seconds, you see the reinforced punch. Please note this is not my video, and I will say only that I would perform the kata this way. However, it does illustrate the reinforced punch you noted.

Please note the 'obvious' bunkai for this punch is simple - a reinforced punch. The stance is zenkutsu-dachi, feet parallel and facing forwards, about shoulder-width apart, and in the Isshinryu tradition, heel-toe alignment, rather than the deeper stances of other styles of karate.

Note also that the punch does not generate tremendous force from the hips; it is a short-stroke punch, designed for close quarters. The left hand (in the kata) grasps the right hand just behind the thumb of the right hand, covering the right wrist in a palm-down position. The right elbow is held close to the body and does not extend as a 'normal' punch would; it moves a fairly short distance.

Note also that in the kata, it moves immediately into an elbow strike in an upwards direction with the same right arm that just did the punch. These two are linked for a reason; the elbow strike develops from the reaction to the reinforced punch. One might infer that the reinforced punch is not a 'put away' punch.

Advanced bunkai would be difficult to explain in writing; but suffice to say that it exists. One example would be using the reinforced punch in a very small circular motion (nearly too small to see clearly) as a clearing movement to brush away an incoming strike and then immediately strike behind the attacker's punch, devastating when they have extended their arm and opened their ribs. Think coffee grinder movement.

Is this the movement you are asking about? If so, the best way to understand it is to experience using it and getting hit by it in training.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like the "rhino guard" to me. If you want to teach someone just 1 technique so he can use it to fight, the "rhino guard" will be a good one. Not only you can hide your head behind your arms, you can run toward your opponent and smash your "big fist" onto his face like a "rhino horn".

rhino.jpg

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a southern kung fu system called Iron Buddha that I had seen do this many years ago in one of their forms. The guy told me it was kind of a trademark of that style.
From what I remember, the one hand is in a vertical punch position with the other hand's palm making contact of the punching arm at the wrist/forearm area on the inside of the arm.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a southern kung fu system called Iron Buddha that I had seen do this many years ago in one of their forms. The guy told me it was kind of a trademark of that style.
From what I remember, the one hand is in a vertical punch position with the other hand's palm making contact of the punching arm at the wrist/forearm area on the inside of the arm.

Isshinryu Wansu kata has that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like the "rhino guard" to me. If you want to teach someone just 1 technique so he can use it to fight, the "rhino guard" will be a good one. Not only you can hide your head behind your arms, you can run toward your opponent and smash your "big fist" onto his face like a "rhino horn".

rhino.jpg
Forgive me, but that looks like a push, not a punch.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Pekiti-Tirsia we have a punch, a knife thrust, and a sword thrust using the same double force action of one hand re-enforcing the other.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen you post about that a bunch of times so I was curious, mainly because it doesn't look effective to me. I tried it with a friend and neither of us could effectively fight using that guard. Maybe against someone super aggressive as a breather for a few seconds, but I just can't see it being a useful technique.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm not speaking for all Kenpoists, just Ed Parker guys, but you just described the Base Of The Art. We used to call it B1a, and B1b, for high and low, but you can lump the two together and call it B1T, which means The base of the art, is cancel, and thrust. There are higher numbers in the mix, but they all refer to the footwork.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sean Gregory Wold | Facebook The more I watch this, the more I think it is terrible, but notice the dead hand is always grabbing at some imaginary arm, or something. :)

The end of Isshinryu Seiunchin. The followup to the punch of a rising kick. Left hand parries a punch and right hand delivers a backfist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen you post about that a bunch of times so I was curious, mainly because it doesn't look effective to me. I tried it with a friend and neither of us could effectively fight using that guard. Maybe against someone super aggressive as a breather for a few seconds, but I just can't see it being a useful technique.
The "rhino guard" is one method that can help you to get your opponent into a "head lock" when he punches you. It's not designed just to block the head punches.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The "rhino guard" is one method that can help you to get your opponent into a "head lock" when he punches you. It's not designed just to block the head punches.
hmm, I'll try it again with that in mind, but it seems like an inefficient way to get to that position. Of course, a very large portion of what I train is designed to close the distance, so my view of the best ways to do that might be a bit skewed.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hmm, I'll try it again with that in mind, but it seems like an inefficient way to get to that position. Of course, a very large portion of what I train is designed to close the distance, so my view of the best ways to do that might be a bit skewed.
When your opponent uses both arms to guard his head, it's very difficult to get a head lock on him. When he tries to punch at your head, his arms will move toward your head and his arms will no longer guard his head. Since he can't punch between your arms and he can only punch from both sides of your arms. That will give you a chance to use your

- left arm to deflect his right punch,
- right arm to deflect his left punch,

you can then wrap his head as shown in the following clip. All you will need is just the courage to move in. In the following clip, the guy was not using "rhino guard". But the principle is the same and that is to guard your center and only allow your opponent's punches to come through your side doors (outside of your arms) and not through your front door (between your arms), By using the normal boxing guard, your opponent can still punch through between your arms. You don't want that to happen. That's why you use "rhino guard" instead.

For a striker, the head lock will give you a chance to finish your opponent with an "uppercut".

For a grappler, the head lock will give you a chance to take your opponent down.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions