I have my first job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I drove up to Maine to try to shoot the Northern Lights...and was unsuccessful. :(

However, a turn of events happened that is just leaving me delirious.

I started my own photography business in June. By "started", I mean...Bob registered the domain (there is no web site yet) , the state of NH registered the name, and my business address is a mailbox at the UPS Store ;)

My hope was to start the "business" so I can learn as I go, and make contacts as I go along. I have much to learn, so I am starting with what I know best.....northern New England. My plan was to meet some folks that run some of the hospitality establishments up north, and offer to comp a shoot in exchange for a recommendation...being careful to not over-promise my skills. A short term goal is to be able to parlay the recommendations in to some pickup work here and there. If I can get a restaurant in the white mountains to pay me $30 for a shoot of their facilities, that covers my gas. If I can get $100, that covers a room for the night.

Now.....I have my first photography job!! When I arrived at the B&B, my innkeeper saw my photography gear. We started chatting about photography. He told me about how they are redoing the gardens (they are restoring an old mansion...stunning place!!), and said I was welcome to come back and take pictures, should I come back this way again.

I told him that I'd be willing to come back and do a shoot for them as a comp, that all I would ask was a reco and recommendation. He jumped at the chance! "We'll put your logo on our web site and everything!"

So...no pay, and unlike where I go hiking...this is place is a long ways away from my home. However, I am under zero time pressure (the restoration isn't even complete yet) and, despite being unfinished, the inn is already winning accolades. They were Maine's B&B of the year in 2009...I think (I hope) a reco from them will be a helluva foundation for a hospitality portfolio.

Anyway. Sorry for the sleep deprived, delirious ramble...I'm just ecstatic!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. Sometimes a comp job is worth more long term than a 1time payoff. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats! If you're interested in a career in photography, here's an amazing story and a good friend of mine. We were both in the same camera club, and she took her talent and ran with it. Turned it into an amazing career. She just had an article published in Rangefinder magazine, she's teaching a Master Class at WPPI coming up. She's on FB too. She's super friendly and helpful.

http://jacquelynnbuck.blogspot.com/

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
S
Congrats! If you're interested in a career in photography, here's an amazing story and a good friend of mine. We were both in the same camera club, and she took her talent and ran with it. Turned it into an amazing career. She just had an article published in Rangefinder magazine, she's teaching a Master Class at WPPI coming up. She's on FB too. She's super friendly and helpful.

http://jacquelynnbuck.blogspot.com/

Very cool. I am thinking seriously about going that way. Your friend is amazing though....so good its intimidating.

I have a degree in music and tried to make a go out of being a professional musician....the odds of success in creative fields are a bit daunting. But, I can see some possibilities. And I can see some opportunities to work with other folks too. I did have a small consulting firm in the 1990s that I grew from networking. I can see possibilities here as well to work with other people. I'm interested in reaching out to innkeepers. Innkeepers buy art. Perhaps they would by a photo of mine...or yours....or Bobs...or Shelley's.

I'm at least interested in exploring to see where it goes. This is at least one pursuit that can be done without a store front or a big investment (instead its an ongoing series of ittle investments LOL), or real estate....so the risk is somewhat minimized

I (gulp) bought a carbon fiber tripod. Reel me in, I'm hooked ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read her article and you'll see her background - not a photographer by design!

http://www.rangefindermag.com/storage/articles/RF0710_Buck_Buck.pdf

She is a (dare I say it?) Air Force wife. That is, her husband is in the Air Force and she has had to uproot and move - at least three times that I know of - since he gets reassigned on a regular basis. That means rebuilding a clientele and essentially starting over; she's done it!

She does have amazing talent, and she's a super nice person (and not intimidating at all), but this is very important - in my opinion, a big part of her success comes not JUST from her talent as a photographer, but from her ability to market and network.

She uses social media like Facebook. She solicits feedback (like you mentioned in your post above). She treats her business as a BUSINESS. Because that is what it is.

IMHO, a very bad photographer can make a very good living IF they are a very good businessperson. A great photographer can lose their shirt if they cannot run a business properly. There are TONS of great photographers, but only one Rankin. Why? There are lots of reasons, but at least one of them is that Rankin - and other 'famous' photographers - treat their business like a business and do not let 'great photography' get in the way of running a great photography business.

Jackie is my friend, and she is amazing. And I have tremendous respect for her talent. But I also know a big part of her success has been linked to her ability to get out there and make contacts, spread the word, and run a business like a business.

I'm sure you can make it if you choose to. I hope that Jackie can inspire you with her story, and you can find your own way to the top!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have been doing a LOT of comp work and it is paying vast dividends. the biggest thing in building our photography business was portfolio building. Just getting the models and that backstock of photos - PLUS the equipment and software is HUGE. Looking at my wife's pictures, everytime we get new stuff, there is huge jump in how the photos looks. Like the jump to the F/2.8 lenses, big jump. Buying Lightroom, big jump. Spending like, $600 on Photoshop actions, big jump.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations Carol and enjoy what you are doing!
icon6.gif

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations Carol and enjoy what you are doing!
icon6.gif

Brian, there is enjoying...and then there is addicting. ;)

Enjoying is one thing. I enjoy card games, and walking barefoot on the carpet.

But photography is more...I can do enough to see some results, you know...just enough to get sucked in...and then I see how much more there is to learn, how much wider my universe can be expanding. That's what keeps me coming back for more...and more....and more.

Why....that sounds kind of like martial arts :D :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Brian, there is enjoying...and then there is addicting. ;)

Enjoying is one thing. I enjoy card games, and walking barefoot on the carpet.

But photography is more...I can do enough to see some results, you know...just enough to get sucked in...and then I see how much more there is to learn, how much wider my universe can be expanding. That's what keeps me coming back for more...and more....and more.

Why....that sounds kind of like martial arts :D :D

Dare I say it.....it sounds like Xingyiquan :EG: :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read her article and you'll see her background - not a photographer by design!

http://www.rangefindermag.com/storage/articles/RF0710_Buck_Buck.pdf

She is a (dare I say it?) Air Force wife. That is, her husband is in the Air Force and she has had to uproot and move - at least three times that I know of - since he gets reassigned on a regular basis. That means rebuilding a clientele and essentially starting over; she's done it!

She does have amazing talent, and she's a super nice person (and not intimidating at all), but this is very important - in my opinion, a big part of her success comes not JUST from her talent as a photographer, but from her ability to market and network.

She uses social media like Facebook. She solicits feedback (like you mentioned in your post above). She treats her business as a BUSINESS. Because that is what it is.

IMHO, a very bad photographer can make a very good living IF they are a very good businessperson. A great photographer can lose their shirt if they cannot run a business properly. There are TONS of great photographers, but only one Rankin. Why? There are lots of reasons, but at least one of them is that Rankin - and other 'famous' photographers - treat their business like a business and do not let 'great photography' get in the way of running a great photography business.

Jackie is my friend, and she is amazing. And I have tremendous respect for her talent. But I also know a big part of her success has been linked to her ability to get out there and make contacts, spread the word, and run a business like a business.

I'm sure you can make it if you choose to. I hope that Jackie can inspire you with her story, and you can find your own way to the top!

Ohhh Bill.....you have fueled a fire. A huge fire. :asian:

I'll have to admit, my 3 inch blackberry screen does not do Jackie's blog justice ;) I'll be re-reading it later tonight on a proper computer. But...inspiring? Well, the three hours I spent behind the wheel, after reading your post, were very productive. By the time I reached the office I hatched up an idea to be generating income before year end.

Now...whether that idea actually works is another story...but everything has to begin with an idea, right?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Ohhh Bill.....you have fueled a fire. A huge fire. :asian:

I'll have to admit, my 3 inch blackberry screen does not do Jackie's blog justice ;) I'll be re-reading it later tonight on a proper computer. But...inspiring? Well, the three hours I spent behind the wheel, after reading your post, were very productive. By the time I reached the office I hatched up an idea to be generating income before year end.

Now...whether that idea actually works is another story...but everything has to begin with an idea, right?

Hell, Carol you HAVE TO TRY.

You about to be a photog, and me about to be an author( first draft half finished already! HOOAH!) You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Here's to us crazy people--every mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground! :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
I'm stealing that. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been piecing things together for the last few years. My web business combined with some personal challenges has slowed our progress, and maybe sometimes I'm a bit too cautious as well, But, things are looking forward. What I've found is, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. The more you shoot, and the more you shoot what interests you, the better you become. Seek out good mentors who can help you grow on all aspects of the art and business. Sooner or later, you'll find a solid groove and your own unique style, and things seem to come together nicely then. One thing to keep in mind....most photographers don't make tech-industry money. Not unless they shoot weddings, school portraits or hook up with a serious backer (ie official photog of an NFL team). So, don't quit the day job yet. ;) But, to me, that just means, don't be average, be better than that and make more money and have more fun :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
I'm stealing that. :)

Darned straight! I always use the phrase "You never know until you try" but I think Andy's words capture the intent much better :tup:.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can feel your excitement right through the Computer screen, Carol. Follow that dream, congratulations.

Latest Discussions