I Have a Different Question

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In American, the word Thingy, or Doohickey is fairly common. In Mexican Spanish the rough equivalent is Chingadera. What is the rough equivalent in other languages?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I grew up with thingamabobs, thingamajigs and whatshamacallits. I think 'thingy' is an abbreviation.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In American, the word Thingy, or Doohickey is fairly common. In Mexican Spanish the rough equivalent is Chingadera. What is the rough equivalent in other languages?

例 の あ れ
rei no a re

is the equivalent in Japanese. Pronounced like "rayee-noh ah-ray".

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In England, the word was or is machination. It comes from the theater. They would make sets out of paper mache. This also where we get the term, machine; because, they move like paper mache'.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
In England, the word was or is machination. It comes from the theater. They would make sets out of paper mache. This also where we get the term, machine; because, they move like paper mache'.

Erm....no. "Machine" first comes into use in English around the mid 16th century. It derives from the middle-French, machine,"device, contrivance," and the Latin, machina, "machine, engine, military machine; device, trick; instrument" and the Greek, makhana, or Doric, mekhane "device, means," and is related to mekhos, "means. to have power," and the Slovonic and Vedic roots, mugh and mayhana, "to be able, to have power" and " that which enables." Old English, maya, "I can," from which we derive the word, may.

THe very word "machine" has deep roots in root[ languages; roots it shares with other words, like "may." As an engineer, I've also just got to point out that we've had "machines" for a very, very long time..(maybe even long before papier mache)..:lol:

(As an engineer, I've always preferred framistat over doohickey, thingamabob and chingadera, which was one of my first New Mexican words......back at the nuke, when I was a child, we also used cheekie-beak, and no, I've no idea where that comes from...:lol: )

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Machination means something rather different these days, ToD. It's usually aimed at an individual or entity that is up to no good. It shows it's theatrical roots in that it implies manoeuvering and pulling strings in the background to gain a desired outcome.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Additional to the suggestions of K-Man, Thingumies, Whose-its, Doodads/Doodahs and Whatsits are in common use here in Blighty.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you might need to rephrase your question, ToD. I am uncertain as to what it is you want to know.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
What in the world came into existence before paper mache'?

Well, if you're strictly talking the European papier mache, which was an early 18th century development, lots. If you're talking about the method of taking paper-like textiles (papyrus, rather than paper) and some sort of mucilage (plaster, rather than starch) then only a few things.....however, the noria and sakia in Egypt-simple water wheels used for feeding aqueducts-date to before the 1st century.....before "papier mache."

Work before art-that's the rule-agriculture before adornment.....

What in the world came into existence before paper mache'?

Short answer: levers, wedges, other simple "machines" ("Pulleys?" not so sure, but probably...)

er, ....umm.......the wheel.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't use quotes from this devise, but stage craft has been in existence since before any date or invention in recorded history.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I can't use quotes from this devise, but stage craft has been in existence since before any date or invention in recorded history.

If you're speaking in the context of religious ritual, sure-if you're speaking of "the arts," not so much...only to the Greeks.

Levers, of course, our simplest of machines, predate.........everything else.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're speaking in the context of religious ritual, sure-if you're speaking of "the arts," not so much...only to the Greeks.

Levers, of course, our simplest of machines, predate.........everything else.
At any rate. Mache' means motion, and paper mache' means moving paper. I think you are too hung up on the paper idea. Paper mache' refers to the end product. They did also happen to name the goo you use to make a moving set, paper mache' as well; so, I think this is where you are hung up. It doesn't matter that paper wasn't invented before papyrus, it matters that on stages, people would manipulate the scenery with mache' no matter what it was made of. They were called Machinations. The end. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
At any rate. Mache' means motion, and paper mache' means moving paper. I think you are too hung up on the paper idea. Paper mache' refers to the end product. They did also happen to name the goo you use to make a moving set, paper mache' as well; so, I think this is where you are hung up. It doesn't matter that paper wasn't invented before papyrus, it matters that on stages, people would manipulate the scenery with mache' no matter what it was made of. They were called Machinations. The end. :)

No. I'm too hung up on the "machine" idea, which, as I've demonstrated, clearly came first......both in the word, and the fact (doubt cavemen called their levers "machines." :lol: )..the end..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. I'm too hung up on the "machine" idea, which, as I've demonstrated, clearly came first......both in the word, and the fact (doubt cavemen called their levers "machines." :lol: )..the end..
It was why they came up with the levers, I am saying. If you don't believe me look it up. Of course you doubt it was called a machine, because, machination is the root term. :)
Sean

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
It was why they came up with the levers, I am saying. If you don't believe me look it up. Of course you doubt it was called a machine, because, machination is the root term. :)
Sean

What you're saying is wrong, Sean. "They came up with the levers" to move rocks. "Machine" is the root of "machination," and I've explained the roots of "machine" up thread, as well as how they predate theater and papier mache....

,.......are you guys just pushing my buttons today? Nevermind....:lfao:

Latest Discussions